3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Primitive Bow Arrow Help  (Read 137 times)

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
Primitive Bow Arrow Help
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
I've got a 45# Bamboo backed Osage 69" primitive bow.  My DL is 27", Shooting off the hand.  I was getting terrible arrow flight with tail wagging until I tipped out the 1716's with 200g tip (heaviest I had).  Tail wagging turned into the arrow kind of making a big clockwise loop spin on its way to the target.  My thoughts are the arrow is still a little too stiff.  I am surprised by how weak of an arrow this bow requires. I'm guessing I would need the equivalent of a 30# wood arrow around 30" with a 125g tip on it. Does this sound right?  Do primitive bows shot off hand usually need an arrow rated almost 15# below its rated draw weight? Thanks
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Re: Primitive Bow Arrow Help
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
I do not know how muchlower, but a bow with no shelf cut in it will require a significantly weaker arrow.

Bisch

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 05:18:00 AM »
i suggest you try 40-45# spined cedar shafts cut to 31" b.o.p. use 5" fletchings  and 125 grain field points. or get you some hill cane shafts cut to the same length same fletch and field points. the hillcane are the most forgiving of shooter error and fit a wide variety of bows of different draw weights plus or minus 5# of your current bow said in your post. you would be surprised on how well hillcane fly's
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
A primitive bow arrow is not aluminum!   :D   Try some cedar, bamboo, or spruce. Maybe some light spined 5/16" shafts would help get you on track. Good luck.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
On my bamboo backed Ipe I had to start at 10# lighter spine  and worked the formula up from there. Also ended up with a 10" taper to help with clearance. Release affected tuning a lot. I had to be perfect to get accurate results. It was frustrating but well worth the effort when perfect flight was achieved. Feel free to pm me if I can help. Love the self bows!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©