3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The worst Treestand you ever had?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The worst Treestand you ever had?
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
That's good stuff Randy!  Ole Fox Squirrel....DD still hunts from his.. Dan swore up and down that Loggy Bayou knocked him off.  Which brings me to my worst stand.

Loggy Bayou original climber...  I called it the "Elevator".. That band would slip on a damp pine tree in a heart beat..  I fell 12 feet one time so fast I thought I was in an elevator watching the bark pass in front of me.....it's still in a tree in Geneva Ga
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Baker climbing treestand, tried to kill me twice in the same day. I used the stand once and that was it.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
A totally homemade hangon.  I was wearing my waist belt, about 15 feet up an gnarly old maple tree.  I was dozing and woke up when I suddenly hit the end of my belt.  Seems the cable clamp had cut through the plastic covered cable but had not gripped the cable.  I was lucky-as I dangled, I threw my bow and my arrow as far as I could, worked my way to the tree, climbed down, and went home and cleaned my drawers!!!!  No more home made stands and no more waist belts!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
What was the treestand (70's) that you pushed up the tree with a pole, and then climbed up a rope ladder? Was that the Baker?
Roger,that one was actually sold by Bear Archery.I used to have one.That was a pretty crazy system.

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
old tss kit was my worst, slipped several times, Mike
Big Mike

Offline Chris Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
This has been a lot of fun reading and a lot of laughs remebering back when.My worst was a home made climber,it had to wiegh 50 lbs.I carried it through some of the worst swamps in Fl,untill one day i left it at the bottom of a tree about a half mile out in the swamp.The things we do?
Chris Steele

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
oh the memories. the 'Baker Slide' was pretty common in the late 70's and early 80's.  I thought I had hit the jackpot when I got mine but, until I got a ratchet strap tight I was on pins & needles. I drilled holes in the bar and carried a ratchet strap and as soon as I was up I secured it to the tree. looking back at some of the places I carried that thing and hunted by myself from daylight to dark I wonder why I'm still alive.

oh well' live and learn.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
The cheap POS I fell out of...change your rachets or end up in one of these great hats  :)  Seriously, though. I have found the cheaper the stand the thinner the rachet. All of mine end up with a chain on them this year and replaced rachets and cables are a must!

Mike Davenport

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Baker Slim Jim!
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
I stated that you must keep weight to the front of the stand (Bakers) and the reason of course is entirely about mechanics.  Forward weight pulls the rear bar against the tree and pushes the bottom v-bar against the tree from the front.  When you step too far to the rear, that pressure is lost and slides can occur, especially on slickm hard barked trees.

I have almost had a slide occur a few times on hard barked trees, but I haven't climbed an Oak or a Hickory with mine in years.  I prefer about a 10 or 12 inch soft barked pine and I've never had the slightest problem with my old Baker.  

My biggest complaint with it was that having an Accessory seat while using it was next to impossible, and also, even with the handclimber, it can be noisy.

I do think there are much better and safer stands available now though.  However I will continue to use my Baker for the time being but as I am in my 70's, it ain't as easy to get up in the tree as it used to be.  Everyone be safe and use a safety belt/harness no matter what kind of stand you're using.

Joe

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
I always wonder about they guys who did the baker slide "twice"

Either tougher than nails or dumb as a stump.. Maybe a mix of both      :knothead:    :knothead:
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
Before the Bakers came along, I spent lots of time building stands in different places in the areas I hunted. Of course, the big deer immediately began to use different routes to and from bedding and feeding areas.  

The day mine arrived on UPS truck, I took it to the woods and climbed a tall pine tree with about a 10 foot cedar growing right alongside.  This was in an area where I had seen lots of buck sign.  I turned that stand so that I was in effect standing on top of the cedar and within an hour, I killed my first really nice buck.

Yep, when one continues to have the same problem, one wonders why that is so.

Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©