3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The worst Treestand you ever had?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The worst Treestand you ever had?
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
Does anyone recall the stand. .  a climbing stand,  that was in two parts.  Each side strapped to a foot and you walked up the tree like steps ?

I saw that advertisement and giggled.
ChuckC

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Does anyone recall the stand. .  a climbing stand,  that was in two parts.  Each side strapped to a foot and you walked up the tree like steps ?

I saw that advertisement and giggled.
ChuckC
I forgot about that!  I do remember that!  I never saw one, but I remember the advertisement.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
An old Ammaker steel climber (think the Maislide model?) like carrying a house if you went far. Much faster coming down than going up. Often it was Maislide's idea.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
worst ive used, on a moose hunt in alberta i was put in a 2 piece climber that had grown into the tree.  the seat was leaning down and the foot rest part was leaning to one side.  called it the iron maiden... and that was the least of my troubles on that hunt.

worst here was a cheap hang on i bought.  the stand was fine, but the ratchet straps were junk.  setting it up i about fell out of the tree when one of the straps let loose.  junk.
is it September yet??

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
Baker by far I took the ride down once and never used it again.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Had a friend sitting on the ground in the early AM dark.  Through the woods he hears a guy walking, "clank, clank, clank. . ."   The guy comes up within 20 yds of my friend who does not say a word. . . After a few more clanks and metal scrapping, he hears, "Kachunk, kachunk, kachunk.. . .etc" up a nearby tree. Then silence for a few minutes. . . then all of sudden like a rapid machine gun he hears, "chunk, chunk, chunk, chunk chunk, chunk, chunk, ka THUD!     :scared:     Cough cough cough. Gasp for air, cough."     :bigsmyl:
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
When I read the title of this thread, the word "Baker" sprang to mind......and I guess others had the same thought.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
On my second trip down a tree on my Baker the seat climber caught about 8' up, my rapid decent stripped me through it almost tearing my arms off. The foot platform caught about 3' from the ground and my momentum pitched me out backwards. The problem was my feet were still in the foot straps. The back of my head bounced off the ground, guess this kept me from breaking my back.

I lay on the ground, my arms were completely dead, no feeling in them at all, couldn't move them so I thought I was paralyzed.

After about 30 minutes of deep thought about my condition while I lay on the ground, I felt a tingle in my fingertips. The feeling slowly came back in my arms. My arms were bruised jet black from armpit to wrist.

As this was my second rapid decent in my Baker I took a sledge hammer to it when I got home and pitched it in the trash, I didn't want someone to retrieve it and put it back in service.

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Same thing here John,when I read the title I almost started laughing.Those Baker stands were just crazy,but the thought of a climbing tree stand was just so cool.I would not get in one of those today for love nor money.  :scared:
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Its funny how you work so hard getting up the tree with the stand and one portion or another of the stand will go back down the tree without you so easily! We are probably all lucky we don't walk with a limp or worse.lol

Offline 6feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
As I read the title the Baker stands came to mind.  There wasn't many to pick from in those days.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
A Baker nightmare for me as well.RC

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Fox squirrel and a early model summit.

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
:campfire:   God bless.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
I got even with my Baker. I burned it up in a large bonfire.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
1st generation LocOn. Had one collapse on me. Luckily I was trying it out and was not high up. Early 90s. The stand was given to me and was older when I got it. Aluminum parts except the plywood platform. Aluminum gave way. Not the wood.

Didn't hunt from a manufactured stand again until last year.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I was a "Baker Era" bow hunter too but the one that hurt me the worst was an old River's Edge climber that a friend loaned me. That thing weighed 487 pounds and of course I dropped everything from my quiver to my Bic and had to go up and down a dozen times. My abs felt like somebody had beaten my belly with a broomhandle! When the hunt was over I bought it from him and mounted it permanently so no one would ever have to go through that pain again.
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I started out with homemade version of the Baker, minus the hand climber. It also had a aluminum sheet for the base instead of plywood. I have a pretty funny story about those stands. Needless to say, I still don't like treestands.

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Baker,still have the scars on my forearms.  :scared:

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Can you imagine the lawsuits today???
No kidding.  That's what I was thinking.  I'm afraid of heights and couldn't hunt from a tree anyway.  You guys are/were brave!
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©