3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The worst Treestand you ever had?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The worst Treestand you ever had?
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
baker hands down
it ruined me on climbers till a few yrs ago
i could handle the occasional ride down back when i ws a teenager
wouldnt want to do it now

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
TSS.

I received it as a gift for my birthday. I supplied the plywood and put it together. I set it as a semi-permanenant stand and not as a climber.

I put it up and hunted out of it ONCE. About 15 feet up a cottonwood tree, coming to full draw on a fat doe one October morning, the stand slipped about 4 feet down when I shifted my foot near the rear of the stand to brace myself for the shot.

I quickly climbed down, checked myself for battle wounds and left the stand there. That was 1987. The stand is still there, though much tighter because the tree has gotten much bigger. Only remnants of a platform exist from wood rot and squirrel feasts.

It was only last year that I discovered the Double Bull........
Hill

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
8' home made ladder stand, made from 2X4's. No place for my butt, not much room for my feet and only 8' high...so my feet were at 6'. I did kill my first deer [bow] from it with a compound.Learned a lot from that whole thing!!.....LOL!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
What was the treestand (70's) that you pushed up the tree with a pole, and then climbed up a rope ladder? Was that the Baker?
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
I've already responded to this thread once but have to say that all the guys who managed to slide down trees on their Bakers were doing smething wrong.  If you kept you weight out front it would not slide.

Before the handclimber came out I shimmied up and down trees just fine, but when the handclimber arrived, I really loved my old Baker. with a safety belt I could lean away from the tree and shoot in most any direction.  I loved my old Baker and still use it now especially on large pine trees.  I strap it on my back and hunt wherever I find a good spot.

Joe

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by RkyMtn Joe:
. . .  If you kept you weight out front it would not slide. Joe
That is a Big "IF" to risk your life on. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
A homejob rebar ladder stand with road signage for the base, which was slick and leaning away from the tree, while sitting on a 20 gallon bucket and getting terrorized by mosquitoes.  Memories   :coffee:
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
What was the treestand (70's) that you pushed up the tree with a pole, and then climbed up a rope ladder? Was that the Baker?
That one was sold by Bear.  There is one still in my shed.  Had plastic rollers on the chain so it would slide up the tree.  Didn't work worth a damn.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
baker and it still gives me chills for those rides down those trees

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
Thinking about it, there was one I used that was worse than a Baker.  Don't know the name but it was a climber that had a flexible steel band covered in rubber that went around the tree and there was also a rubber covered "V" on the platform.  It was a borrowed stand and the one and only time I used it I got up about 8 feet before the elevator to the ground floor - I did use it the rest of that morning but I only put it up 2-3 ft.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
I used a Baker from the age of 10 to about 14. Maybe my dad didn't love me? But, the one I had was actually one of the sit down/stand up climbers where you face the tree. I never had any trouble with it slipping. I think my dad liked me using it because it had the seat rail around me to help keep me from falling out. The tiny foot platform wasn't great for bowhunting though, and that's all we did.

But the worst stand I ever had was a Loggy Bayou. I don't remember the exact model but that thing was a death trap while climbing. It was great once you got set up because the seat flipped up and ratcheted to the tree. It was rock solid at that point. But getting there usually had me in a cold sweat.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
A climbing stand called a "fox squirrel" that came out around 1971 or so give or take a year. i bought it in Athens, Ga from either Dan Quillians archery shop or another local guy named Garth Fuller who had a shop in his house.  The original model had no rubber coating on the steel bands so it was very loud putting the stand up. There wasn't a hand climber with it at the time so you used your arms to climb up and then down the tree.  i usually left a good bit of skin behind. Eventually we learned to tape around the metal straps to quiet them, and the company finally put some rubberized coating on the straps.  i think i paid $29.95 for the first one that i bought.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
Thinking about it, there was one I used that was worse than a Baker.  Don't know the name but it was a climber that had a flexible steel band covered in rubber that went around the tree and there was also a rubber covered "V" on the platform.  
That would be a Loggy Bayou.  Still have mine from 1983 when they came out. With the climbing aid I never had a problem.  But. . . first time before I bought the aid. . . ouch!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
I had two that I bought from garage sales. They were aluminum hang-ons that SQUEALED when temps got below zero. Cost me two doe, grrrr!!!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Had my Baker come off my feet about 20' up a Beech tree    :scared:   Left quite a blood trail from my hands on the ride down ! Also climbed up in an old wooden stand once that I found in the woods. Without warnind it fell right off the tree. All I remember was throwing my bow and broad arrow on the way down so I wouldn't land them.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by LimBender:
A homejob rebar ladder stand with road signage for the base, which was slick and leaning away from the tree, while sitting on a 20 gallon bucket and getting terrorized by mosquitoes.  Memories         :coffee:      
Those were the days Will.  I can see your Uncle Leroy saying .... GET UP THERE BOY AND SHOOT US A DEER!!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
First Loggy Bayous with the band!  OMGosh I can't believe we climbed the trees we did with that thing!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fletcher:

Originally posted by Roger Norris:
That one was sold by Bear.  There is one still in my shed.  Had plastic rollers on the chain so it would slide up the tree.  Didn't work worth a damn. [/b]
Yep....I went bowhunting when I was 12 with an Uncle. He had one of those......I was 12, and treestands were a new thing, but even then I knew that was a scary looking contraption. I never hunted out of a tree until the LEM Loc-On became affordable. Probably about 89?
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline jcprintz

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
I've got scars on both fore arms from my Baker experience. I still pull it out when I teach treestand safety as and example of what not to use.
TGMM,Family of the Bow

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
I started out with a Baker Pro Hunter it was like carrying a half sheet of plywood around on your back. And yes the down the tree slides were memorable I remember sliding down a tree with the hand climber attached about 15 feet up. Hand to stand there and throw sticks at it to knock it down.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©