3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stumphooting: check your state regs  (Read 886 times)

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stumphooting: check your state regs
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Here in Missouri the state lands I stump on carry the "no target shooting" in the rules. Kind of a gray area...I always just have a $10 small game permit with me. There seems to be something in season all the time.  Heck I could always just be hunting wild hogs...supposed to shoot them on sight here.
Small game tag will get you right.

Eric

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
It does make sense.  Remember, the laws are a result of the transgressors around and among us.  The law knows that poachers just have to say they're out stump shooting... so they force us all to be legal hunters if we have a weapon in hand.  I don't like it either, but our society is full of people who break laws without giving a hoot.  It just took a few terrorists with box cutters, and now millions of dollars went into play to keep EVERYONE from carrying potential weapons on planes.  Made it harder and more expensive for all of us.  

Fortunately coyotes are just about always in season here, and I can stump shoot on a friend's private land.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Up here in NY, there are some animals that don't have a closed season (red squirrel, woodchuck, porcupine, etc.).  If I were questioned while stumping I could say I was hunting them, which I would if the opportunity presents itself.  I always have my small game license with me, too.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
KSdan, don't take it before a judge. I am a probation officer, and I see a lot of hunting/poaching related cases come to court. Trust me, if a DNR ranger says he caught you hunting or handling a weapon illegally, the odds of you winning the case are very, very slim, which means you could lose your hunting privileges for a year or more.  

One more reason to be gald I have my own place to shoot/hunt on.
Sam

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Here in WA any game license lets you shoot coyote year round.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
If one goes target shooting on public land out here with any kind of a gun, you will get a ticket.  However, the local game wardens approve of taking warm up shots with a bow and arrow during deer season, one even told me that the grass bails make good targets.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Sure glad I live in Wyoming!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Illinois is also the ONLY state in the UNITED States of America that does not have a concealed carry license. It's a little crazy here but oh well.  I'll find a way to get some woodland stump shooting in. Most of our hunting areas close to me are by special permit only and no shooting of coyotes unless deer hunting. Go figure. I've lived in this area for 30 years and I still drive 3 hrs to my hunting spot.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
If someone was going to poach why would they do it on state land? Isn't that what private land (trespassing) is for?

It's an absurd rule/law that was probably written by whomever came up with the Obamacare bill.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
tarponut, a whole lot of poaching is done on public land, both state and Federal.  Keep in mind that many of these game thieves are not particularly bright.

However, they do cause some restrictions that seem absurd to many of us.Some of these restrictions, even though well-intentioned, don't always make good sense.
Sam

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
Officially it's the same here in PA.  It's simply a law enforcement issue.  The good thing is that coyotes are in year round and also on Sundays here.  So, as long as you have your hunting license, you're good to go.
Right on! Just had a buddy who has coyote problems in the PA suburbs. Maybe I need to do a little stumping in the woods behind his house  :goldtooth:
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
There should be year round season on coyotes and chucks, get a licencse, and that should be that.
samuel koger

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
California is the same way, but i always have a hunting lic and jack rabbit season is all year long. Its not my fault if i miss a lot    :saywhat:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
I think Mi is the same, BUT..get a small game license and tell them your hunting possum or something that has a year 'round season...they realy cant say much about that..its leagal.

Eric

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Can't stumpshoot in New Jersey either. Need a hunting license and tell them your chasing woodchucks...   :D

A few years back I was roving around Jersey doing some stumpin when my hunting buddy Bamboo caught me crossing the road....a few minutes after a Warden drove by. He then informed me about the Jersey law.
Close call....   :scared:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Glad I live in a state where it is legal to chase hogs year round.  Used the same excuse as Joe when I lived in NJ.  It is unfortunate that we have to go to such lengths, but I agree with some of the others.  It is to prevent people from sneaking a broadhead along to poach.  Same reason as some states with hog problems(OK)won't let you hunt hogs at night with artificial light unless it on your own land with a special permit.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
VA is the same.  No possession even for bows unless a season is open to a game animal.  Plus, no hunting on Sundays except for shooting preserves and coon hunters until 0200 Sunday mornings......go figure!
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Cochise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
I Just show them my concealed bow permit..

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
pretty lame
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
The funny part about stumping in NJ is you have to have broadheads on some of your arrows. The law reads you can only hunt chucks with broadheads.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©