3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stumphooting: check your state regs  (Read 885 times)

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stumphooting: check your state regs
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
as others stated, in PA you are not allowed to "target shoot" on state lands...but in talking to a game officer....groundhogs are in season all year...so I just have my license, my orange hat, and stump shoot on game lands.....can't help it if I miss groundhogs and keep hitting stumps and other things........completely legal.....

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Wolves and yotes year round in Ontario, black birds/pigeons in Quebec...Small game licence right there

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
The no target shooting on State lands comes from people going out skeet shooting or shooting bottles/cans and leaving a mess.  Getting ticketed for stump shooting is often the call of the Enforcement Officer.  Most will tell you that you need a license and let you off with a warning.  There is always the one who will compare the signature on you hunting license with that on your drivers license and write you up because they're different.  2 years ago I watched a EO that I knew write a guy a $65 ticket because he had 1 rusty lead shot shell (doubtful it would have cambered) in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket while dove hunting on State land where only steel shot is allowed.  There are jerks everywhere, in all walks of life!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
Boy, I'm scratching my head over some of these laws. I never would have considered there would be a problem let alone laws making stumping illegal!  :dunno:

Offline Webster2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Frenchymanny:
Wolves and yotes year round in Ontario, black birds/pigeons in Quebec...Small game licence right there

F-Manny
Only in some WMU's of Ontario.

In others, from September 15 of one year to March 15 of the next year.

Also, if you claim to be hunting them, you need a wolf/coyote seal in most areas.

Best to go with a amall game (required anyway) and tell them you are shooting nuisance birds.
Caribow Tuktu 59# @ 28"

Damon Howatt Hunter 72# @ 31"

Humiliator 85# @ 28"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Hey, after Indiana passed its Anal Smoking Laws,  NOTHING  Surprises me anymore.  :rolleyes:    :readit:  
  Now, if you are on Private Land, with Permission to Target Shoot, how can they Ding You for that??
    When I Stump Shoot, I dont carry B.H.'s, cant see the point in it myself, I dont need a Razor Sharp Head to Croak a Stump.
   More of Our Tax Dollars at Work I s'pose.  :laughing:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
These laws that are written to pin down poachers are terrible examples of LE trying to make their jobs easier. Don't like em and never will.

Stumps and dirt clods don't need protection. To assume that stump shooters will opportunistically break the law and poach is wrong. To burden all our freedoms because of a few bad apples is equally wrong.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
I was told that in no way at all on any Illinois state land or any Federal land in Illinois could you stumpshoot unless it is a hunting season and you posses a valid hunting license.  If you are caught doing so it is a poaching ticket.

I would dig a little deeper than a phone call. I have a valid hunting license all year long and coyotes are always in season where I live.

There is typically always something legal to chase year around in every state.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »
Illinois has strange laws, on most of the public areas seasons are different than the private ground. As example coyote is not year round, squirrel starts over a month later ( and ends 2 months earlier) etc. In fact you can't even small game hunt state land withh a .22 rifle. Bows or shotgun with bird shot only!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
thats why they closed groundhog and coyote season before and through turkey season, TOO STOP TURKEY POACHING. so nobody has any reason at all to be in the woods with any kind of weapon, that is the only time there is nothing in season. ....BUT...chapter 7,  3 csr 10-7.405 general provisions, hunting;seasons, methods,limits....(2) there shall be no closed season or limits on house sparrows or european starlings.....just sayin.

Offline Webster2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by arrow30:
...(2) there shall be no closed season or limits on house sparrows or european starlings.....just sayin.
Exactly as I stated in my post.  LOL

Just be sure to have a small game licence.

In effect, in virtually all locations/jurisdictions, having a firearm or implement (bow) capable of taking game,  in an area frequented by game, is de facto proof of hunting.
Caribow Tuktu 59# @ 28"

Damon Howatt Hunter 72# @ 31"

Humiliator 85# @ 28"

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
These laws that are written to pin down poachers are terrible examples of LE trying to make their jobs easier. Don't like em and never will.

Stumps and dirt clods don't need protection. To assume that stump shooters will opportunistically break the law and poach is wrong. To burden all our freedoms because of a few bad apples is equally wrong.
I can understand the frustration with these sorts of laws when your intent for being in the woods is completely ethical and in no way will harm any game or non-game species.  However, I highly doubt that legistators even gave a thought to stump shooting when making such laws.  Let's face it, there are very few archers (including compound shooters) who stump shoot and infringement on our desire to put arrows in stumps and dirt clods is secondary to the need to curtail opportunities for poachers.

I'm OK with such laws because of their intended purpose and will simply carry a valid hunting license with me when I want to stump shoot.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
California requires a license to be armed on Public Land. We need fishing licenses too even without hooks, all makes sense to me.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
In Mississippi target shooting on public land (federal or state) is prohibited. Being in posession of a firearm/bow during a closed season is illegal too.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
California requires a license to be armed on Public Land. We need fishing licenses too even without hooks, all makes sense to me.
Bjorn,

Where does it say that in the regs? Not arguing as it seems new legislation to protect us from ourselves gets passed every day in CA without public input, just curious where that info can be found.

Thanks,

Mike
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by adeeden:
Illinois has strange laws, on most of the public areas seasons are different than the private ground. As example coyote is not year round, squirrel starts over a month later ( and ends 2 months earlier) etc. In fact you can't even small game hunt state land withh a .22 rifle. Bows or shotgun with bird shot only!
Adeeden is very correct here. Illinois public land hunting is an art of legal jargon. You almost need to have a Law degree to understand it. Where I am at in Collinsville all of the close hunting spot are not open to public hunting without some form of crazy red tape. We do have Choteou island but even that gets tricky
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
thats the problem with game n fish though, here in Alabama you are guilty til proven innocent when it comes to game violations. So therefore, if you have a weapon you  are hunting, irregardless of any evidence they have of what you are actually doing.  You havent shot an animal yet but you are still breaking the law... amazing.

ever thought of the logic behind this?... if you have a car you are automatically a speeder, so if you have your bow, you are automatically a poacher.

Gee whiz

Dave

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Webster2:

Originally posted by Frenchymanny:

F-Manny
Only in some WMU's of Ontario.

In others, from September 15 of one year to March 15 of the next year.

Also, if you claim to be hunting them, you need a wolf/coyote seal in most areas.

Best to go with a amall game (required anyway) and tell them you are shooting nuisance birds. [/b]
In the WMU I have my lease, all year and no wolf seal required.

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
2nd Amendment allows us to carry a weapon year around in Oregon.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
Stumpbuster wrote:
Bjorn,

Where does it say that in the regs? Not arguing as it seems new legislation to protect us from ourselves gets passed every day in CA without public input, just curious where that info can be found.

Thanks,

Mike
Hi Mike in the frequently asked question re: who needs a hunting license. Answer 1 says it for me..........I guess it could be interpreted otherwise; but if you came across me in the woods with a bow and no license would you ignore me given your profession?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©