3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cyanoacrlate on arrows  (Read 355 times)

Offline The Talon3

• Trad Bowhunter
Cyanoacrlate on arrows
« on: August 03, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Has anyone tried to soak the end of an arrow in thin cyanoacrylate (crazy glue)to try and make it stronger? I know we use it in lath work if we have a bad spot or knot so it can be turned. I know it soaks into wood but I don't know how far.

Offline Raminshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cyanoacrlate on arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Roger,

There were some threads in the past where someone told us all about using a Minwax product on the point end of the arrow to create the same toughness as footing the shaft.  The product is called "Minwas Wood Hardener" and I have used it myself with great success.  

Raminshooter
Keep flinging those shafts!

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »
Done that many times - at least with the nock end on self-nocked arrows  ;)
I use SuperGlue on regular basis for many kinds of work. But almost always as a penetrating - thus my "work" hardening compound, for example:
 * ringporous wood in bow making
 * self nocks
 * fossils
 * bone
 * etc.
I can't tell you how far it will penetrate into wood though. Would have to cut one and measure it. But I leave this one for you, okay?!  :)

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
Someone once suggested a "wood hardner" product from the hardware store for the same purpose. That's the stuff you apply to a wood showing early signs of rot. This preserves it so you can refinish it. Looks like watered-down milk, same consistency. I dipped the first 5 inches of a batch of hexshafts in that stuff to see what happens. Don't know if it worked, the shafts never broke in that area yet    ;)    :p
The older I get, the better I was.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©