3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moving to Illinois! Need some advice on hunting grounds  (Read 316 times)

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
Moving to Illinois! Need some advice on hunting grounds
« on: June 29, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
I'm moving to Peoria, IL in the next couple weeks for work and was wondering if anyone had any advice on some public hunting lands?  I doubt I'll be able to find private land to hunt so I figure I'll look for some public land.  Thanks in advance!

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moving to Illinois! Need some advice on hunting grounds
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
The area around Clinton lake is not to far from peopia, I have never hunted it but have heard good things about it.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Wish I could help but I'm 4 hrs south. If you wanna hunt down south I could point you to some.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I'm open to any suggestions.  Wasn't planning on moving but it's happening to now I've got to find somewhere to hunt.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Best bet is to look at the website that was posted and see what's within your acceptable hunting distance.
   I myself have only hunted as far east as Salem and I hunt all the way down south to within 20 min of Ky. Most of Illinois hunting close to the high population areas are special draw only and they tell you the 7 days you can hunt.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Well the closest to Peoria is Jubilee park, it is a big area but has a lot of hunters.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
I used to hunt Jubilee a lot, when it first opened, which was a LONG time ago.  I liked it.
I used to see deer all the time.
ChuckC

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Lots of info here.  

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/ilstate.htm

Check out the Mackinaw River, and Look up Miller-Anderson woods to the north. I mushroom hunt that and it looks perfect for deer hunting.
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
Well the good news is that is a good part of Illinois.  In fact the world record typical  by bow came from Peoria county. The bad news is that all public areas in Illinois get pounded pretty bad.  For private land access you will for sure have to get in on a lease.  Maybe not an option this year but it may be something to consider for the future. As far as public hunting goes the best area is Southern Illinois in the Shawnee National forest where you can actually get away from people.

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Well I guess I'll just drive back home to Indiana to hunt

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
Don't be scrared of the public land. It can be good it just takes a little extra work to figure it out!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Yes that's true. Did not mean for my post to be negative. Just trying to give you a realistic outlook. If by chance you are able to get into some private land in that area you may be in for a real treat. Big bucks can and are taken each year on public lands in Illinois.   I have killed all but two of my bucks on public land. But you will have to deal with a lot of other hunters especially during November.

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
If you aren't afraid to knock on some doors and offer a little helping hand to the owner, good private hunting ground can still be found.
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Okay fellers quit yer cryin !!! I can tell you from experience that the WORST land in ILL is 10 times better than the best land in TN !!!

As Jon said the Shawnee is good but we had better luck in the Marion area as far as better land in the Crab Orchard NWR. Never ran into another hunter the whole week in either place. TONS of land and had the time of our life even though we did not score. Saw at least 200 deer in a week of hunting, several 140" class bucks and tons of 100" + bucks. If the economy ever turns we will be headed to ILL as fast as we can !   :archer2:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Nocams that is true. I have hunted many of the same areas you are talking about. Wish I were still closer to that area. But public land north of effingham is a totally different game. A big public area may be 1500 acres and it WILL be getting hit hard by hunters.  Illinois is still a good place to hunt though. I prefer the southern part of the state for the reasons you mentioned. Mostly because I want to get away from people!  Maybe I'll make my way down there this year!

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
When I first moved to IL all I had was public land I literally didn't know anyone here. I spent a lot of time classing bean fields along public land and learning the lay of the land. Long story short I shot two pretty good deer A 20 inch wide 9 pointer and a heavy main frame 8 with forked brows and a few little stickers, less than 24 hours apart from the same tree. This was on a fairly small piece of public land. Does it get hunted a lot? Heck yes but you just have to adapt. Bucks don't get to 4 1/2 on public land by being dumb!

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
Like others have said there is ao lot of good oportunity in Illinois, but it depends on what you are looking for. If just any deer will do in a peacefull setting there is that. You may have to work for a place with better age structure. My brother has found some good bucks on public land over the years, mostly related to water fowl areas that open up to deer.

Offline jered 203

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
First thing to do  is to join the United Bowhunters of Illinois, a traditional bowhunting club.  Attend some events and you will make plenty of contacts  from around the state.  Most are happy to tell you about the public around them.

The UBI is planning a fall public hunt at Lake Shelbyville, about 2 hours south of peoria.  

Www.unitedbowhuntersofillinois.org

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Jacob, feel free to contact me, I'm pretty familiar with the Clinton SRA, you can get away from the crowds if you're willing to walk a ways and do some scouting.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©