3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tippit Bird/Trout Blade for Batman St Judes Turkey Hunt...Finished Blade p. 2  (Read 287 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well Mills,
Congrats on winning the St Judes Turkey/Hog Hunt.  I'm trying to come up with a special Bird/Trout knife for you.  But I've never built a Bird/Trout knife so here is my first prototype.  I need opinions from you as to what you would really like as to handle, shape, etc.  Plus any help from other Trad Gangers is also helpful...tippit

First forging from a 4" piece of 1084 steel...

Finished prototype...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
OUTSTANDING Doc    :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow! I wouldn't change a thing.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Thats about right Jeff.
For me,a slightly flared finger guard and some nice scales and I would use that bad boy for many a year to come.
I like that blade style.
Great job.
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I will add some nice slabs if this is the final rendition for Mills just not sure exactly what a Bird/Trout knife really is        :confused:        I looked up a bunch of pictures online from Mossberg's ring blade to this nice one by Jerry Hossom which I used for my rendition....

I do like the shape...But of course this is way too pretty for a tippit!  It seems a little too delicate for a working blade...Plus it isn't forged either        "[dntthnk]"  

Disclaimer...These are NOT Mine!!!

Mossberg Bird & Trout ring blade

Jerry Hossom Bird & Trout      

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice work Doc !!!  :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline caihlen

• Trad Bowhunter
you taking orders?

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
I'd have to say that is awesome i love how simple it is if u ever make another let me know
Cheers Jim
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
I am not for sure Jeff but I think your shape is closer to what I call a B&T. I might say it should have a longer,straight section on the cutting edge. your is very good.
Slim and trim is what I like about a B&T, that Hossom is cute,but not my style.Are knives supposed to be cute?
I Like your the best.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
I know nothing about making a knife. If I did though, It would look alot like yours jeff. Nice blade. Looking forward to our get together next spring.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
I dont know about bird/trout blade shapes but I will say the shape you have is likely the most usable blade shape.Regardless of what other knife makers are doing. What you have looks like a very versatile blade shape.  :thumbsup:  
Bill

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
A knife is worthless if it only looks good.  BTW, I wouldn't put a name to that knife Jeff, it looks like an all around perfect knife to me, maybe a slightly shorter handle.  Nothing out there that you can't separate its hide, scales or feathers from with that knife, and I've cleaned A LOT of animals in my time.

Give me a working knife any day ...  although I do like thin scales on my knives.  I have never used a paracord knife, but I would be worried about it twisting in my hand ... probably just me though, I see them a lot.

Bring one to the Cajun Get Away for me to try out on some deer and ducks, it just might make me change my mind.

Bottom line, NO CHANGES NECESSARY!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Prairie dog

• Trad Bowhunter
When I think "bird and trout" blade I see a blade like this.  Just a little stiffer and wider than a filet knife.

The blade you made is nice but I would call it a skinner.  It would be perfect for skinning fur bearing critters or capping big game.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
SO nice, whatever you call it!   :thumbsup:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
Doc - the prototype looks fabulous!

Thank you for your generous donation!

Miss Mills will be blessed!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Prairie dog:
When I think "bird and trout" blade I see a blade like this.  Just a little stiffer and wider than a filet knife.

Same here.  Think quail and dove and smaller fish.

That is a great knife you have designed there though Doc!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thank ya'll for the help in determining what a Bird & Trout Knife should be.  I originally added it so the winner could clean their turkey.  I now see the light....thin, pointy, and more on the line of a small fillet blade.

Here is my Bird & Trout knife for the St Judes Batman Turkey Hunt.  It is a little more finished than most tippit blades...but after all it's for a young lady.  Hope it cleans a turkey for you Mills...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline benny

• Trad Bowhunter
That looks perfect

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
:thumbsup:  Look's great!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
very nice Jeff.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©