3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Design my gear list...  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
Design my gear list...
« on: January 16, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
Next years deer season will be like starting from scratch again. Lord willing, I'll be off to university two hours from here, in an area I have never walked through before (or driven through for that matter). I would like to be able to hunt as much as I can, but I'm not sure how much time I will have for hunting. If I make the volleyball team, I won't have much time. If I don't, or don't go for the team, I'll have more. How much more, I have no idea.

With that said, I'm trying to figure out what to do for hunting gear, and I need whatever help I can get. Here's what I have
Bow - 46@28, but I draw around 31. I don't now, but I'm working on fixing my form.
Camo (can never have too much though)
Arrows (that aren't totally set up)

Here's what I don't have
treestand
quiver
broadheads
possibly some blunts
climbing sticks (or some way to get up a tree)
gloves
money (thats a biggie)

Here's what I'm thinking

Treestand
I'm looking for one that I can take up the tree and back down again when I leave. I don't have the time or money to set up a bunch of permanent stands, as well I like to be mobile. I've been looking at a few of the Long Wolf stands and trying to see if they will work. Light is good, but not crucial.

Quiver
I like the catquivers. I think the one I was looking at before was the cat II. I like how it protects the fletchings, protects the broadheads and is a pack at the same time. I'm not really sure how it would work while carrying a stand though...

Broadheads
I want to go with three blades this year. I'm thinking either snuffers or WW. Here's one of my dilemmas. I just got these new fancy shmancy Carbons, but I think I might run into a few problems with arrow weight. The shafts are 270 grains, plus 100 grain insert, and a 125 snuffer or 150 woodsman. Even with the woodsman, that brings total arrow weight to 520. Is that enough?

Blunts
Fairly simple, I'll probably pick up a couple judos

Climbing Sticks
I'm open to suggestions. I need a cheap and easy way to get up and down a tree.

Gloves
Something that I can slip my hands into when not in use, or maybe some gloves that I can shoot in

Money!!
I'm on a pretty tight budget. I'm joyfully unemployed right now, but I've gotten a couple articles published, and might have one more published, so I have a bit of money to spend. Not much though. I would rather conserve money and use it towards school. If something is really needed and will last a while -like a stand - I might be willing to invest in it.

:help:
Dances with Turtles

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Design my gear list...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
Treestand)
If it where me I would go with a double bull over the tree stand.  I know a lot of people don’t like the blinds as much for whitetails but me I think there awesome.  Plus you can hunt over looked areas on public lands)
Broadheads)
Your arrows are fine I love snuffers but am switching to woodsmans for elk and don’t like shooting diffrents kinds of heads
Gloves)
Army surplus wool gloves I use them from opening weekend to the bitter end and they are dirt cheap.
Quivers)
I have to have my arrows are on my bow that just me.  Anyway those are my .02 cents

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
As for the screw in ww's or snuffers, there's lots of room for adding weight inside the head (bird shot etc).  Also, I'd advise buying the inserts separately and installing steel inserts which will give you more weight.  By installing the inserts yourself you can control how true they will spin.  I've got ww's and snuffers and have had to do some tweaking.  More info on the thread titled "heating up a woodsman ferrule"  Hope this helps some.

Offline flatstick96

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
Growing up, I ALWAYS hunted from treestands - that's the way my dad did it, and that's what I learned.  Last year, out of necessity, I hunted from the ground for the first time.  It presented some unique challenges, but I did harvest a nice doe at 12 yards, and the feeling was completely unlike any deer I've taken from a treestand.  Anyway, all that to say this: if you are tight on money and want to keep the amount of gear you are lugging around to a minimum, don't be afraid to broaden your thinking and eschew the stand (and the climbing sticks) inf avor of doing some ground hunting.  Hunting from the ground is fun, and can be productive (plus, for me at least, it just feels more like "hunting").  As for blinds, use what's there - it's not really necessary to buy one.
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
flatstick I might end up hunting from the ground a fair bit. I enjoy both kinds of hunting, but I like the vantage point a stand gives.

The Ursus: I am installing the inserts myself, I bought them separate from the shafts. Do you mean you can take the broadhead apart and put in weight? I've never heard of that before..
Dances with Turtles

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
Little Fred,

Shipping might be a bit high, but I have an API Grand Slam Bowhunter that would solve your treestand and stick problem (It's a climber).  I would give you a good deal on it, but like I said, the shipping may be high.

The Screw in WW and Snuffers are just glue on broadheads with aluminum broadhead adapters glued inside.  A 150 WW is a 125 glue on with a 25 grain insert.  You can get broadhead adapters that weigh in up to 125 grains alone.

Have you built a BBO yet???  I am getting ready to teach a couple of fellows here how to do it.  I wish you were closer and I would have you over to help me help them.  

Where are you going to school?  What major?  What field are you hoping to enter after college?  Do you still shoot while jumping on trampolines??  Enquiring minds want to know.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »
I'm a treestand guy.  I like hang-ons 'cause they're cheaper and lighter.  I have an old aluminum one that weighs about 7 pounds.  The steal ones weigh more but are lots cheaper.  Get one from Walmart or somewhere else on clearance right now for $40 or less.  I also like the strap-on steps.  8 will get you up high enough and are easier to put up and take down than screw ins.   PLus they can be used on public ground where screw-ins are usually not allowed.  They will be on clearnce right now too in a lot of places.  Buy them now...don't wait until September.

I don't like CatQuivers.  I have a knockoff I will sell you cheap.  email me:  [email protected]  If it were me, I'd make a plains style one from some remnant leather or canvas.

Get Ribteks.  Cheap and just as effective as you will need.  Shoot them in the lungs and it don't matter what broadhead you are using.  I like the 190s.

Grind the tips of your field points down and shoot stumps.  Or get a couple rubber blunts for 1.50 each.

Buy some $5 ragg wool gloves.  That's all you will need.

Keep it simple and don't buy into the gear-head thing.  It's fun I suppose but is ultimately an empty and temporary fulfillment of fleeting desires.

Oh yeah, 2 sets of camo, one warm, one cool.

Have fun,

John
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Luke, The quiver thing is always a delema. For treestand use I like a Kwikee-Kwiver. I have mounted a quick release mount to my tree stands and when I get in the stand I clip it on and it puts the arrows close at hand. I use a piece of parachute cord as a shoulder strap for carrying.
  If you want gloves for early season, the camo(or just brown) jersey gloves that Wally World sells work good. I cut the 3 middle fingers out of the right glove(I'm right handed) and can pull them over my shooting glove. I use these in GA from early season(can be 90deg) through late season if not too cold. I also have rag wool mittens I use in cold weather.
   Nutters are cheap to make and work very well for stumping or small game.
   As for the money thing, if you figure that out, please let me know!  LOL     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
I had a cat quiver for two years. I got rid of it for a few reasons...1. it was always in the way when back-packing a stand or blind. 2. the thing was noisy...heavy cordura, aluminum and metal zippers all made enough racket on their own. 3. it is not as easy as you think to get a razor sharp broadhead out of itI usually ended up with cut fingers or cut glves....but that could just be my own gracefulness....lol.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline waterone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
Luke:

Congrats on college/university!

As one who paid for a lot of several years in college by working selling fishing and hunting equipment in stores, try and find a job doing that for two reasons.  One you make some money, two, you can find some great places to hunt/fish. oh and three, you get to meet girls who hunt and fish.. Can be good or bad.

As to your posted issues.

As to broadheads/arrows, your total arrow weight is right around the most often suggested 10 grains/lbs of draw weight, so I'd think that's good. Everybody I've known who used Woodsmans like them, but I'd had similar experiences with snuffers.  

Remembering college and the almost constant lack of money, I'd go with the best stand you can afford or something really odd, a ghille suit.  Cheap (you can make it yourself) and works great.
There are directions on here for making your own.

Quiver, I would probably go with a detachable bow quiver - takes up a little less room, or try to find a used cat quiver to see if you like it.

Gloves, find a thrift store and buy some wool gloves.  Just clean them real good, and keep some whole and cut the fingers off another pair and your good.

I have found that spending money when your starting out is tough,'cause there aint none - so buy the best you can afford and adapt the rest.

BTW, asking this group is good for getting good advice.

Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. Keep it coming  :)  

Brian - I haven't done much lately in the way of bow building. I'm in a bit of a building rut right now, taking a bit of a break. I'll probably get back into it sometime, I just have too much on the go right now. Thanks for the offer on the treestand. I think you're right though, shipping would probably be through the roof. As for school, my number one choice right now is Wildlife Biology at the University of Guelph. Apparently this school has good science programs, and its the only school in Ontario that offers that program. As for after school, I'm trying to take it one stressful decision at a time  :knothead:
Dances with Turtles

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
Luke: if you are as tall as most volleyball players I would suggest you try out a treestand before buying. Those seats can be too low for longlegged guys.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
waterone I think we cross posted. First of all, thanks for the congrats! I'm not there yet though, I've just applied so far. Anyone can do that. I dont here back from the schools until spring. So for now I'm stuck just trying to keep my marks high enough for them to want me badly enough to give me money

Lost Arra - that is one of the things I'm looking for in a stand; a tall seat.

Thanks
Long-Legged-Luke
Dances with Turtles

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
Fearless Fred,
You wanna try some WW(not sure how heavy they are) and some snuffers?? I have some 160's laying around, Ill even pay the shipping.
Wishing you well at the big U, just make sure you stay off the big trampoline.
Regards, Bert

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Luke,

I've got a Summit Open shot climber I really like. Its a bare bones stand and light as climbers got. Price is reasonable too (<=$200). Benefit of a climber is you adjust the seat to your preference. Down side is you need a straight tree. I hear great things about Lone Wolf, but I'm not too impressed with the weight of a friend's. If you don't have one, I would add a GPS to your list. It will help you learn new hunting areas, and it is a tool you will find invaluable as a wildlife biologist.

I chose the wildlife route for a career. A rewarding and exciting career choice, but not without its drawbacks. PM me if you are interested in the experience of someone whose been there.

Steve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Oh yeah, there's another thing I want/should spend money on. A GPS. Thanks Steve. You'll definitely get a pm from me momentarily.

One of the reasons I am looking at a Lone Wolf is their ability to utilize crooked trees. I would like to be able to capatilize on any good spot I see, and as I see it the straightening ability of the Lone Wolf would help with that.

Bert - 160 snuffers? How much do you want for them?  :)  

I spose if arrangements for bowhunting go down the tube, I can still shoot deer with my camera  ;)
Dances with Turtles

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
I use WW with 125 gr inserts for a weighty of 250 grains my arrows are  570 grains
Contempt prior to investigation leads to everlasting ignorance!
William James

Offline THE FOREST WITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
Hey Luke
 don't forget a watch to keep track of the time...Take some water and some snacks, I know all too well how your hunger gets the better of you and you need to keep up your strength and stamina for shooting your bow!  These shouldn't interfer with your budget too much!  They are necessity items.  I do hope that you own a compass, I don't want to hear of you getting lost on new turf...sorry just being a Mom.      :p      :saywhat:     Please don't forget to dress warm and layer your clothes.  it is so important to stay warm and dry. I'm sure the other items you requested will find a way to your home someday...
TFW
Spring, give thanks for the never-ending shades of green

Offline doublewhopper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
Like CarbonCaster said.  I have the 125 grain Wensel Woodsmans and I used 100 grain broadhead adapters.  A nice 225 grain broadhead.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
e-mail your address to me, I'll send you some things you might be able to use.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©