3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for heavy longbow shooters.  (Read 465 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for heavy longbow shooters.
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
After going slow, taking my time and being careful, I have worked into a 72 lb longbow which I now handle and shoot well, but my personal goal is to get to 80 lbs. Im looking for opinions from you heavy longbow shooters, on which longbows you prefer at these weights. Thanks, Paul

Offline scottfix

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for heavy longbow shooters.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
For me, its the Howard Hill.  Doesnt stack at my 30# drawlength and throws a heavy arrow with authority.  You cant go wrong with a Hill.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
I am a far cry from an expert, but here is my questionable opinion. The only longbow I have near that weight is a 78# Dan Quillian Bamboo Longhunter. I like it, if you can find one. Otherwise, I took would recommend Howard Hill, but my 2 heaviest Hill bows are at 65#, so I may not be well qualified on that statement. Consider talking to Northern Mist also.
Sam

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
I guess i should have added into my original post, which bow lengths and limb materials you prefer as well. Going that heavy, im thinking that bow length and limb material might be a factor. I pull a standard 28" draw length.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
I shoot a 62" Monarch Imperial which is 82#@28", it has Flat elm lams with Clear glass and a black glass core. Shoots very smooth but due to the glass core it is a little heavy drawing from the start.

Also have a 66" Imperial, 92#@29", same as above but Osage lams. Also a very smooth shooter.

Don't believe Monarchs are being made at this time.

I also shoot a 102# Bamabow Hunter, 65" amo. It is made of 5 lams of Bamboo with black glass belly and back. Very fast, very smooth, and very stout.
You can see Nate of Bamabows shooting this particular bow on youtube just search "shooting 102# longbow".
You can't go wrong buying a Bamabow, and the price is right. Nate is very easy to talk to and will go out of his way to help with your purchase. And he isn't happy until your pleased with your bow. Fantastic after sale service!

When going heavy, longer length bows are generally smoother drawing and little more stable. But I don't really see any major difference between my 62"-66" bows. To me they seem to all draw about the same. I can switch between them at any given time and have no problems.

Offline scottfix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
My Hill is 80lbs and is 66 inches long, it is bamboo with brown glass.  I too do not claim to be an expert but most of your heavy bows will either be all bamboo or a combo of bamboo and some other wood.  Per the Howard Hill website, they offer bamboo bows up to 200lbs, but do not guarantee other woods in bows over 90lbs.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by scottfix:
 Per the Howard Hill website, they offer bamboo bows up to 200lbs, but do not guarantee other woods in bows over 90lbs.
Scott maybe this is why Monte put the glass core in the Imperial's when he designed them. Although he had the same core in the lighter bows also. I think the glass core was the main difference between his "Royal" and "Imperial" models.

These bows don't have bamboo lams, but it has never been a problem. They are both smooth, fast, and quiet.

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
My Quillan Bamboo Longhunter is 80# @ 28" since I pull 30 1/2" it is about 87#.  Smooth shooting with virtually no handshock.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline scottfix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
Hal, I think u may be right in regards to the Imperial.  Ive seen the video of the 102lb bamabow.  That is one sweet looking bow, and I agree, u cant go wrong with a bama bow, and Nate is a class act for sure.  Im thinking I may have to order a similar bow from Nate as a Christmas present, from SCOTT, to SCOTT.

Offline C.Cannon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Howard Hill, they can build whatever you want and deliver in less than a month. I just ordered an 80# take down last week and am expecting it in about middle July.

O yeah I got mine with alternation yew and juniper and 68" long.

For hill bows the recommended length is 40"+ your draw length or longer. (40"+28"=68")

At 80# limb material shouldn't matter that much.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
Thanks for the great info. guys. I figured theres no better place to get answers on a question like this, than from the guys that shoot them.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
It really depends on what kind of longbow you are thinking of. It seems that most of the answers you have received are recommending D style longbows. Pat Kelley recently got a Morrison metal riser, 3 piece longbow that is about 80 pounds at your draw length. It is a great shooter, but not a Hill style. Pat also has a Super Shrew Safari that is around 80 pounds and a Hill style bow that is even heavier. Are you just looking for weight or instead trying to get the performance needed to launch heavy arrows as good speed so you can kill heavy animals, because you can get the same performance as an 80 pound Hill style bow by using a more efficient longbow that has significantly less poundage. I am all for the thrill of shooting a heavy bow just to do it -- except I can't shoot more than about 70 pounds anymore!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
I have had a number of super heavy Hill style bows.  From my experience one can expect performance improvements when going from say a 55 to a 65 pound bow of the same design, those lines of difference kind of disappear with the extra heavy bows.  It is entirely possible to get an 80 pound bow that can out perform a 90 plus pound bow of the same make and length. The extra heavy bows pull better with a slightly longer length at the same draw lengths, which also tends to give diminishing results. I would most certainly stick with a bamboo core in any case.  A super heavy hardwood longbow can really pack a wallop as far as hand shock is concerned.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Shoot what fits you, and go with a longer bow (66 or 68 for a 27-28"draw).  Most important is to shoot often, rest a day after long sessions. Draw the bow 10 to 30 times, at leat 3 days per week year around.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
Oh, a question near and dear to my heart!

Big Bow Makers that I have had personal experience:

Big Jim
Ken Roloff -Whippenstick
Dave Heniff - Hitman
J D Lund
Howard Hill - Craig Ekin
Border bows - Scotland
Nate Steele - Bama Bows

Bows not made anymore, but if you can find one used, buy it.

Jack B Harrison
Dave Johnson
John Schulz

Bows I have not shot:

Sunset Hill
Robertson

Lengths: prefer 64" or more for less stack at full draw

Grip: just seems easier to draw heavier with the lowest wrist possible. My favorite is a slight dished.

Training to go up 10# in draw weight? That's a whole different topic.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
Limb materials:

I have a strong opinion, I love this combo:

Bamboo, Carbon, and Yew. (order of lams, ask your bowyer)

Strength, Cast, Stability, Forgiveness seems best with that combo.  

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
No other thoughts?
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »
Howard Hill for me.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Last up.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Love my Morrisons, 60#,63#,73# and 82#. All are foam/carbon or foam/glass, all except 82#er are 60" bows. The 82# is 62", I find the carbon/foam combination much easier and smoother to draw than my older heavy boo limbs in same weight range. You'll not beat the Morrison for performance,smoothness and quality.
hunt it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©