3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: draw-length?  (Read 282 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
draw-length?
« on: June 30, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Whats a easy way to figure out your draw length?
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: draw-length?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
put a cloths pin on your shaft in front of your riser. draw anchor and let down. then measure from the valley of the nock to the cloths pin.
Kevin Day

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
I like to have someone to mark the arrow at front of riser as I draw with my eyes closed. Lets you settle in a bit and only focus on comfortable anchor.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
What Karrow said...works slick.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
Another way is to mark your arrow at 1" intervals at the business end. Draw back and have a friend tell you what mark you pulled to.

Offline Webster2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
Your draw length will vary with the pondage of the bow you are shooting.

For me , to calculate my optimal draw length, I pull a fairly light bow back to where my shoulder/back feels comfortable.

I measure that (as above) and then work on my regular weight(s) to achieve that draw length.

I was off trad archery for a while, and when I stared back up, could only pull 28" at 60# with some degree of effort and discomfort.

I now pull 72# at 31 inches, which is very comfiortable for me.

Botopm line:

Determine your "comfort zone" and work towards it.
Caribow Tuktu 59# @ 28"

Damon Howatt Hunter 72# @ 31"

Humiliator 85# @ 28"

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
What Webster2 said is very true.  Most people do not shoot at their true draw length.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
After helping a lot of people determine their draw length, I would add that a lot of people also think their draw length is longer than it actually is.   :bigsmyl:

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
The only true way to determine your draw length is actually in the process of shooting the bow.  You need to get an accurate measure, when shooting.  Static pulling the bow and measuring will get you only in the ball park.  Take an arrow and mark it in 1/2 inch increments with different color Sharpie markers close to your draw length based on the static test.  Go out an shoot.  Replicate as close to shooting "in the field" as possible like stump shooting or at a 3-D.  Shoot relaxed and natural as you normally do and have someone watch to see which mark comes to the back (side of bow facing target) of the bow.  This is the true draw length under the same conditions you will have in the field.  it is the best way.  I bet you are surprised when you do this test.  Draw length is what it is.  it is best to avoid trying to overextend yourself, and shoot comfortable.  Most people state they shoot a draw length far longer than their true draw from my experience.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Webster2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
After helping a lot of people determine their draw length, I would add that a lot of people also think their draw length is longer than it actually is.    :bigsmyl:  
So what is your method??
Caribow Tuktu 59# @ 28"

Damon Howatt Hunter 72# @ 31"

Humiliator 85# @ 28"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
I hate to do this but..

Draw length has zero to do with draw weight. The archer must master the bow rather than allow the bow to master the archer.

Bow arm and drawing arm alignment, including the drawing arm elbow must be correct before you measure draw length.

The bow arm should be straight but unlocked at full draw.

The drawing hand should be flat on the back and the fingers hooked in the first joints on the string (or deeper).

The drawing elbow should be brought rearward using back muscles until the point of the elbow is just in front of a line drawn from the grip, through the anchor and beyond that elbow.

Once you are in this alignment THEN have someone mark where the shaft intersects the back of the bow shelf. Or use the solo clothespin method is fine too.

If the bow's draw weight doesn't allow you to get into this alignment, you are over-bowed -- way too common by the way.

If your elbow is drawn further than this (very common with compound and release shooters) you are overdrawn.

In both the under and over-drawn situations it will be very difficult to involve your back muscles (drawing arm side) in execution of the shot. Target panic, snap shooting and other lovely maladies are future results.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Almost everyone pulls a light bow further than their normal bow.  

This formula will almost always put the arrow under your eye (where it belongs)

Take a yardstick and put the number one on your chest at heart height, put the 36" end on the wall straight out from your chest.  

Now clasp you hands like a clap on to the yardstick.   Where your middle fingers meet will be the drawlength that will put the arrow under your eye.  There are definate advantages to pulling a bow further than this but in my experience accuracy isn't one of them without sights and peeps.  

"Your mileage may differ"... Kenny M.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
The yardstick and wingspan methods of determing draw lengths work for a lot of people with average builds.

However, if your arms are shorter or longer or your chest width different than average, these methods will be off.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Draw length will be effected by grip shape.  Shooting a high wrist recurve vs. a heel down Hill style bow will effect the draw length, and you can be in alignment with both, but have different draw lengths.  That is the reasoning behind measuring actually in the process of shooting the bow.  Just drawing a bow back, your muscles are not under the same tension of the shot.  You are also trying not to let go of the string which sets up a different mindset than when you are shooting.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
I draw my 45# bow to 29"

If I pick up a 55# bow, I'll draw it to 28" without fail.

I actually blame it on my bum left shoulder (right hand shooter) rather than my back muscles.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
Webster.  I do what Dragonheart does.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
Mark an arrow with different color rings every 1/2".  Get someone to film you from the side as you take several shots. It'll be clear what your real draw length is. It's worth noting that your draw length will likely change as you build strength and improve your form.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©