3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: More Fun with Black Bears and Ground Blinds  (Read 665 times)

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
More Fun with Black Bears and Ground Blinds
« on: July 01, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
From signs I read around my bait site, I knew that I had two adult boars (besides the usual anti-social mix of bears).

One was a fully mature boar whose sign I had been paying close attention to for a couple of years back, and whom I figured was up in age. The other was a new guy that I thought hadn't reached his full potential yet.

After filling my tag elsewhere last year, I had guided a friend at this site and I had spotted the old guy for the first time  for all of five seconds... before my buddy inadvertently spooked him, even though he was still a ways off.  People are often surprised how wary big bears can be.

So anyhow, this season, on this particular evening, I was watching an average bear work the bait about 14 yards away when (to my satisfaction) he left abruptly.

On alert and anticipating a bigger bear appearing at the bait in front of me at any moment, my peripheral vision picked up black fur moving quickly towards me from the side.

An energetic bear of more than respectable size with a shiny black coat that showcased his solid musculature was now within reach. Unfortunately, this wasn't the bear I was hunting.

He seemed in a rush to check everything out and when he got up  on two legs to look around he was taller than I thought he would be. Problem was, he was so darn close to my blind when he stood up and swiveled that periscope like neck around, something caught his attention inside my blind.

He circled behind me to see if he could check things out from the back and I slowly turned my head to keep him in sight. I remained still since I didn't want to be discovered and have him raise a ruckus, thereby more than likely ruining my chances for the old bear later. Even when he appeared to be trying to push his head through the brush wall I didn't move.

Like I mentioned before though, this guy was fast... and brazen, so when that didn't work, he got up again and looked inside. I still had my back up against the large tree that is part of my blind and he didn't know that I was there.

When I saw him beginning to shift his weight on his front paws that were now well positioned on top of the brush wall, I knew what his plans were. I didn't think that both of us would fit comfortably in a 4'x5' enclosure so I sprung into action.

I keep a fresh cut birch stick about 2 inches thick and about 2 feet long in the blind for cases like this, and when I raised it over my head and faced him at less than three feet (I had to look up a little), he just about fell over backwards from the surprise (remember that he had been up on two feet, leaning inside).

He sprinted off about twenty yards in front of the blind now, stopped, turned, and started towards me again. He just had to figure out what the heck I was. When he got to about 10 yards from me I displayed "grumpy" body language and hit the stick once hard on the tree to my right (I kept silent because I didn't want to make an unnatural noise in case the old bear was within hearing distance). He got the message and backed off... but to my surprise, he circled, giving me wide berth, and made his way to my bait barrel for his evening meal.

He was there for at least twenty minutes, every once in a while glancing in my direction to make sure that the miserable creature remained bedded in it's nest.

That was my final action for the day.

Two days later, I put a  a VPA tipped cedar arrow through the lungs of an old worn toothed monarch. He was in his decline, but he was still wary. I usually try to arrange shooting big bears in good daylight, but this guy wouldn't have it that way.

I had to shoot him as late as my 59+ eyes can see to shoot something that black well instinctively ... there was still 15 minutes of legal hunting time remaining but it's always darker in the bush. He was still checking things out before committing himself but I didn't have the luxury of waiting for a better shot at the barrel.

I heard his last breath only 15 yards away.

The rest is another story in itself.

I can hardly wait for next spring.

Front view of my blind

My June 2012 Bear.

May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: More Fun with Black Bears and Ground Blinds
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
Looks to be a nice one.....   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    Well done!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Great story I about crapped my pants reading it!!!

Great bear!!  beautiful coat    :thumbsup:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Congrats on a nice bear AND taking it from a natural ground blind.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Absolutely awesome story and bear!!! Nothing like hunting those guys from the ground and having them right in your lap!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Great read!!! Congrat's on a fine bear!   :thumbsup:

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
He is a good one congrats
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Even with my meds I think I would've been changing my shorts! That is a toad, and what a rush!!!  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :clapper:  WOW!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline battman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
Definately had my attention reading that one.I've always wanted to hunt bears but the more of these stories I read the more I want to go.From a tree of course.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
great hunt Ken, super looking bear.! congrats!
Make a life, not a living

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
Well that was a most entertaining hunt  :scared:  

Nice bear  :thumbsup:  

Eric

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Great story, and super nice bear, congrats!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Very cool , I love me some Bear hunten , CONGRATS...
,,,,,,Sam,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Nice one, great looking blind. Hard to see any "shooting lanes".
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Beautiful bear!

Love to see more of the blind.  Pretty cool hide.  

CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Awesome
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Now that's the way to do it.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Great story and nice bear. Congratulations and that blind is something. Iron nerves you must have to saty still that close it paid off.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Wow!  Awsome bear, very exciting story.  Thanks for sharing it with us.   :thumbsup:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©