3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Eclipse Broadheads?  (Read 638 times)

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
Eclipse Broadheads?
« on: August 03, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
I'm curious does anyone have experience with the Teflon coated 4 blade Eclipse? I'm currently shooting the 150 grain Magnus Stinger 4 blade but the Eclipse seems very interesting. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eclipse Broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
Very limmited experence, but the wide one was hard for me to sharpen. It seemed to be very hard! I put the insert in for 4 blades and was hog hunting and touched a limb with the BH and the insert fell out. The insert looks like a after tought.I think you are using one of the best now of what reviews I have read on TG. Magnus sharpen easy and fly great. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
Pull up some posts by Joseph. He used them on a hog and a buffalo I think and liked them.  I have the 2 blades but havent shot anything with them yet. I can get 2/3 of the blade shaving sharp pretty easy but the double thickness tip is tough. I use the 150 Stingers too and am hard pressed to make a change...
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
I just recieved some that i ordered.  They have almost no edge on them.  You have to file in the bevels.  Which I did.  The steel was about the same hardness as Magnus or zwickey not as hard as I thought.  The file cut the steel easily.  They seem to be well made.  Chad

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
In the latest issue of PBS Journal there is an ad for sale of the company.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
Never used them bud....but them Stingers are a great BH as you know....and I know you tried the Phantoms last year too...Both are top notch!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
Peter, I started a thread about Eclipse several months ago:
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=043759;p=1

If I remember correctly Dr. Ashby had some input there.

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 03:37:00 AM »
I have been a bit of a broadhead whore over the years. All great experiences...I even had a number of flings with the Wensel Woodsmans....But I'm thinking about settling down with the Eclipse. I really don't think the teflon coating does sweet-fanny as far as penetration goes, but I respect them for thinking about doing it and trying to take 2 blade broadheads up another notch in terms of quality.
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
The only thing I like better than my Eclipse BHs are my 'spensive Silver Flames. I sure hope someone buys the company and keeps them going good. As I understand it, they were based on (or were originally) the very popular Journeyman, and were made in Canada, before the company was sold to the folks who are now apparently selling it.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
Bernie,
          A friend of mine designed the original journeyman broadhead.If I was to give up my snuffers the eclipse would be the broadhead I would use.I have tested some broadheads on plywood (crude but effective) and was surprised at some of the broadheads that curled.I like my snuffers and like the eclipse.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »
That's good scoop, my friend, I have a dzn or two of them and have been impressed from the git-go. "Beartracker" from WV reccommended them to me when I first was getting ready to hunt trad, and sent me my first one - that was all it took. I just wish I was better at sharpening, is all - but I git-r-done, after a fashion - LOL (That's another thing I love about Silver Flames)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
Bernie, What ever happened to Mike? I was thinking about him the other day. Ain't seen him around in a coon's age.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »
He's had some rough times last winter/spring but is doing good now and still the same Mike Gemind, just doesn't post much anywhere anymore. We e-mail once in awhile and I got one from him just a few weeks ago, bless his heart.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
While it's not near the top of Doc Ashby's list of factors influencing penetration and thus lethality, he found that the Teflon on the Eclipse does make a difference. I have the 2-blades and agree that they come really dull (only duller I've found is Grizzly, Ashby's favorite) and are hard to sharpen due to very hard steel (again, like the Grizzly). The two young men who own the company are gold and I'm sorry if they're selling. I'll be shooting STOS or Grizzly this year, 2-blades.

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Dave2old,
I'm with you abou the owners. They are great guys and the quality of their character makes being loyal to their product very easy. I'm sorry to hear they are selling. Thank goodness that I have a bit of a stockpile.
Jarrod
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©