3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats goin on with broad heads lately  (Read 251 times)

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Whats goin on with broad heads lately
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
I have alot of odds and ends of different broadheads ive hunted with throughout the years, but dont really even have 6 of any single style/weight, etc. Havent browsed the catalogs lately, but just did and WOW!!! Big changes to a few of my favorites. First off, my beloved STOS are on backorder everywhere, so are the new Grizzly. The price of the Snuffer has went through the roof since i last bought 6 of them as well. What gives? I did hear that there was a single bevel STOS in the works, but that was years ago. I also remember how Grizzly heads were getting harder to get at one point but dont recall why. The new head by Zwickey would be great on the end of my arrows, but is illegal in my home state im almost certain, as well as many others i may hunt   :banghead:

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats goin on with broad heads lately
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
If you want Grizzly's get ahold of Bill at Zipper bows. He's making them now.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
Try Ace, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.acearcherytackle.com/Broadheads.php
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
As you noticed most broadheads have gone way up the last couple of years.  Price of materials and production costs are the main reasons, your typical traditional broadhead manufacturer is far from greedy but they deserve a return on their hard, hard work in a tough market.

We have STOS in stock, and are very competitive on Snuffers too.

www.braveheartarchery.us
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
Reckon it might have something to do with  unchecked printing of money.  :dunno:
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
I wish somebody would print me some Barry!   :)   Travis, you better restock now cause I doubt the prices will be coming down! Give Braveheart a call!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
"Reckon it might have something to do with unchecked printing of money."

I think ya might have something there Barry
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 07:03:00 AM »
A couple of "things" have happened to the broadhead market.  Magnus got out of the high carbon steel market and sold it to Thunder Valley.  STOS was being made by Magnus at the time so they were a victim of the sale.  Grizzly did not make many broadheads in 2011 then they sold to Zipper.  Both STOS and Zipper/Grizzly are back in production, along with Thunder Valley (Magnus Classic) and supply is coming back.  We have some sizes of Grizzly and STOS in stock, along with most Magnus Classic options, not everything.  

You really should check out whether the Zwickey Cliff is legal in your state.  The mechanicals caused DNR's around the country to re-write the rules.  I sent a picture to our DNR and they found a rep who could tell me they are legal in Michigan.

Todd Martin of STOS did look into a single bevel broadhead.  The project didn't go as well as he hoped and I'm not sure if we will ever see it.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
Pick up some Zwickeys, old stock if you have to and use them.  Bear used them before he made his own.  They are one of the easiest heads to sharpen and will do the job.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Ace 200gr Super Express

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
As mentioned above, it is costing more to produce broadheads than it used to and setting up the new production is an expensive process.  If you look at what it takes to make one, they are still pretty reasonable.

I'm trying to move some broadheads from stock.  Here is a link to my post in the Sponsor Classifieds:   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=001823
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Get the new Grizzlies Bill is producing!
James Kerr

Offline LBshooter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
I have some arrows beig made and they are going to sport the new griz kodiaks 170grn, can't wait to use them. I only hope I will be able to sharpen them properly.
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
States that ban barbed heads are now in the vast minority. My brother is using the new Zwickey and I believe it is going to be formidable.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Ive used lots of different broadheads throughout the last 20yrs or so. Zwickey, Magnus, Ace, STOS, HH, Bear Razorhead, homemade heads made by a custon knifemaker buddy that i served to the shaft(these are becoming more appealing as of late), and probably  some im forgetting and they all work. Thats kinda why im in the pickle im in, i have anywhere from 3-5 heads of alot of sizes, some have seen better days, or resharpened so many times that they are 20gr lighter than factory weight. My last stint with a new head was  the Tusker brand, they worked very well, and the price is right...i may delve into them some more. Appreciate the responses everyone, oh any by the way barbed heads are illegal in MN  :(

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
ACE Broadheads  The oldest name in broadheads. Still made in America . Bob and Jan are great to do business with. That is why they are the number one broadhead in stock at our store. Give me a call I have every size of Ace in stock.
                                     Jim Pyles

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©