3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 30" draw....recurve suggestions?  (Read 664 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 30" draw....recurve suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
For a recurve i would recommend a 64" for a 30" draw. A 62" is going to be pushing the stacking point to close unless you get into a static tip or semi static.

If you are dead set on a shorter bow. I have a 60" Sasquatch hybrid long bow that draws to 32" with excellent string angle.

Here is one on the tree at 30"

Offline dabprice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
You might well consider a Wapiti recurve made by Keith Chastain in Colorado.

His bows are especially suitable for archers with long draw lengths as his limbs have an unusual profile that cause a "cam" effect as you draw back somewhat like the breakover of a compound bow. This eases the draw effort after about 27" of pull.

His bows are very smooth and fast.

http://www.worldclassbows.com/

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
Longer length will definitely have some advantages, but in my opinion there are plenty of shorter length recurves that will handle your drawlength just fine.  As Kirk said, they will mostly have static tips.  Give Kirk a call.  He has alot of information to share and may help you make a decision.

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
I have a 30" draw and I just test drove the Rainy Day bows and would recommend them to you in a heartbeat.

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
It's all in the limbs....I shoot 29-1/2 and my new 60" SXT Zipper is smooth and doesn't stack.  The carbon foam limbs are great.  Love this bow!  I was worried about the same thing and asked Bill about 62" limbs...he sent me some 60" to try as he has sold tons of them to long draw guys and they are what he said....Awesome!
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
I have a Sasquatch and would highly reccomend the bow that Kirk suggested.
If dead set on a onepiece recurve then I would personally consider the St Joe River bow or the RER static. All of those bows and bowyers are top notch and the bows have great reccomendations.

God bless you and good luck, Steve

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Forgot to Mention I have a 64" Zipper, smooth out past 30".
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bozz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
There's a bunch of good ones out there. I have a 30" draw also, and the recurve I have been shooting for the last year is a Legands. They are also a sponser of this site. Smooth fast, no hand shock. Can't go wrong

Offline Bozz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
I forgot to say it's not a one piece bow though. Sorry

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
I've shot both 64" and 66" recurves. Since I have a 30" draw length, I own two recurves and both of them are 66" Blacktail TDs.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
I have a 62" BW psax that can be pulled with zero stack to 32". Very, Very smooth!!!
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
FYI most well made bows, even shorter ones will "handle" your 30 in draw. What you want is a bow you can handle well. I have a 30 in draw and have had  shorter and longer recurves. 62, 64 and now a 66 recurve and the difference in the longer bow is very notable. It is smoother feeling, easier to point and hold accurately and just more stable throughout the shot process. End result: more fun and accurate shooting. I know this is just opinion but I do think it is supportable...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
I've gotta Legend bows a plug here... I was finally able to get my hands on Mike's bows down ay WSR and he's a big dog drawing 31".

All of his designs draw nicely to longer draw lengths and i believe Rainy Day bows followed Mikes lead on that aspect....   :thumbsup:  

Hey Sixby.... wait till you see my prototype 60" Sas RC i just completed. i got some pics on the tiller tree today. She came out semi static with XX carbon and no tip wedge at all. but when i added the tip overlays on the belly, i gained some good string angle and a wee bit more snap to her too.   ;)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

Looks familiar.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
There are several 62" bows out there that can be drawn WAY past 30" without stack.  A 62" Predator recurve and 60" PCH are two I own and shoot at over a 32" draw without stacking.  Finger pinch is another consideration. Even if you find a bow that doesn't stack up at your 30" draw, you want to be mindful of finger pinch... A detriment to a good release and accuracy.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
x2
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Silvertip TD , at 62" or 64". You will love it !

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Damon Howat Hunter. 62" and 2.5 lbs an inch after 28".
 Outstanding bows.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
I would get the Black Widow PMA series in a 64" length.
James Kerr

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by manitou1:
There are several 62" bows out there that can be drawn WAY past 30" without stack.  A 62" Predator recurve and 60" PCH are two I own and shoot at over a 32" draw without stacking.  Finger pinch is another consideration. Even if you find a bow that doesn't stack up at your 30" draw, you want to be mindful of finger pinch... A detriment to a good release and accuracy.
i believe you'll find that string the angle has a whole lot to do with where the stacking point is.
Once you got finger pinch going the bow is typically already stacking up on you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©