3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shooting Ishi style  (Read 191 times)

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
shooting Ishi style
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
I've seen pictures of Ishi shooting right handed off right side of bow, would be similar to me a righthand shooter shooting a left hand bow.I've shot this way off my hand with a pignut hickory selfbow just wandering if anyone shoots this style off a lefthanded shelf bow, accuratly.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting Ishi style
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
With a standard Medetreanian release(split or 3 under) a right handed shooter almost has to shoot from the left side of the bow because of how your fingers open at the release. Ishi used a pinch style grip so it didn't matter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
lol. i bet if ishi would have had tradgang and had guys teach him good techniques he would have been killing game at 50 yards.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Ishi didn't like shooting at a target and wasn't very good at it. With game, however, he rarely missed. I think we could all use advise from him on hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
I've tried shooting with his style, and I felt like a drunk monkey trying to do an oil change under water with chopsticks.  But, it obviously worked for him.  Really, whatever technique is used, shooting (anything) is largly muscle memory.
Silence is golden.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by RedShaft:
lol. i bet if ishi would have had tradgang and had guys teach him good techniques he would have been killing game at 50 yards.
He would have developed target panic from thinking too much about it.      :p
Longbows & Short Shots

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Right on dragonheart!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
I've never tried shooting Ishi style. Not sure I could do it. Looks like a real arm burner to me.  :scared:  

Ross
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
I believe he shot that way because of the type of release he utilized.  He used his thumb as a hook under the arrow and forefinger on top of the nock  to stabilize.  Similar to a mongolian release that utilizes a thumb ring.  That was an intersting aspect of research concerning the Yahi tribe because the way they shot their bows was unlike any of the other surrounding tribes but very much like the asians or mongols. Interesting to note that the Yahi indians also had much lighter skin tone than surrounding tribes, very similar to asians in appearance.  Food for thought

Offline wildwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
As I understand it they tried to ask him if it was his own stlyle or if that was the way he was taught,passed down from generations. they were trying to trace land migration ot anchient peoples. He wouldn't say cause it was taboo to speak of such things. at least that was what I was told.
delivered by grace

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
From what I've read getting information from Ishi could be like pulling teeth. Some things he would openly share and others not. They just never knew how he would respond. They never even learned his real name.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline wildwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »
I live about an hour from oroville ca where he showed up. In fact a movie they made about him years ago was filmed on my wifes parents property there,at least parts of it.
delivered by grace

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by team fudd:
I believe he shot that way because of the type of release he utilized.  He used his thumb as a hook under the arrow and forefinger on top of the nock  to stabilize.  Similar to a mongolian release that utilizes a thumb ring.  That was an intersting aspect of research concerning the Yahi tribe because the way they shot their bows was unlike any of the other surrounding tribes but very much like the asians or mongols. Interesting to note that the Yahi indians also had much lighter skin tone than surrounding tribes, very similar to asians in appearance.  Food for thought
You hit it right on the money. They go into his shooting style somewhat in "ishi in two worlds" i do believe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©