3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: small game head idea, WHAT DO YOU THINK?picture added  (Read 626 times)

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
small game head idea, WHAT DO YOU THINK?picture added
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
I was laying in bed this morning thinking about what I had to do for the day.  That’s when the idea came to me. How about turning some of these Grizzly’s that get culled into small game points.  Small game points are kind of tricky. What I mean is  we want some of the shock of a blunt but we also need the cut of a broadhead.  Maybe this is a good compromise between the two.

What say you?

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: small game head idea, WHAT DO YOU THINK?picture added
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
The front of the head is not ground. It is flat to add some shock. I took this head out of the junk pile to see how the idea looked. Its nothing revolutionary but it just may work very well.
Bill

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
I think that they will work just fine on small game. Let us know when you will sale some id like a dozen for rabbits this fall

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
I like it!   :thumbsup:  Looks like bad squirrel medicine. I'm not a blunt fan for squirrels. Just too tough sometimes. Those should do the trick.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Looks like a great head for the Texas corn bandits.  I'd be up for some as well.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Looks good Bill. Great idea to use some of that cull stock for a new product.  :thumbsup:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Excellent way to recycle. I think those would work great. What does it weigh in at? Cost for a half dozen?
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Looks like the trick for squirel as said above the are too tough for blunts.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
IMHO it should be effective.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
I like it, but it would be 100 times better if there was a stop of some kind  about  1/2 inch past the tip to stop penetration on hard stuff and to keep it from burying under leaves/grass. Great reuse of a scrap pile though!     That's my biggest complaint on broad heads for squirrels to many get burried in trees, that's why I have went to a sharpened wing nut style head for them.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
What I like to see in a small game head is when shot from the ground most of them are designed to keep them from slipping under the grass and losing your arrow. With that said, I think you are onto something here if you can somehow address that issue. Maybe the answer is as simple as adding one of these behind the head.

What I do is bend the aluminum wings foreward on these things and they really stop in the grass that way.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
If these were made from steel they would also get the weight back up that was lost in grinding the head down.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Loosing them in the leaves may be an issue. I like the star washer behind the head that would surely keep you from loosing them. With the broad flat tip I dont think sticking too deep in a tree would be much of an issue. I guess I need to shoot one into a tree and see. I may be wrong.

As for the weight. The green one in the picture was a 120 grain Grizzly head. After the tip was ground down it weighs 112 grains. I did the same thing to a 170 grain Kodiak and it ended up at 147 grains. The thicker steal of the 170 Kodiak made a much more broad flat point.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
As for a price? $20.10 for a six pack plus shipping will cover them. Keep in mind there will not be alot of them. At least I hope there will not be a lot of them.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
I like em, should work well on upland birds too, thin skined but you don't want them flying off with your arrow!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Bill,

I've done that for years with some old MA3 heads I had.  Work great on small critters.

Don't see why the griz won't be just as good.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
In Mississippi, to the best of my knowledge, broadheads cannot be used to hunt small game. Points, such as judo points and blunts, can be used to hunt small game. Whether this applies to private vs. public land regulations or to all hunting scenarios in the state, I am not certain. Other than that, the head would be great where it is legal.

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
they look awesome to me. I agree on the star washers behind them.  I can see them being very effective on coons and larger varmints
Tyler C. Moore

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Bill what about a head similar to what you got, blunted end with sharpened edged sides and hooks or flats that stick out from the rear edge of base so that you get shock, & penetration on the initial hit, a cutting edge down the side and hooks so that it dont pass through the animal? and make it beefed up so we can smash it off stuff and call it the small game machete.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 04:05:00 AM »
i'd try turning them into a broadhead again. leave the backend alone so you don't lose width and grind the edge down to form a point again at the tip.
instead of 'grizzly el grande' they could be 'grizzly la petite'. it would be very strong as the ferrule runs right to the tip, just like my favourite blackstump broadheads. plus it would add another model to your list and add value to your rejects. unless the reason they are a reject is something other than the original tip that is missing.

as a broadhead, if the tip of the point was just beyond the tip of the ferrule and they were double bevel i'd buy them in an instant.

those 170gr ones that end up being 147gr might work for me. by the time i ground it down to a broadhead again it might be around 125gr.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©