3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mullberry stave  (Read 948 times)

Offline Longbow Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
Mullberry stave
« on: January 16, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
is 59" long but starting to crack down the center on one end. I have 1 3/4" on each side of the crack. Would this be enough on the width to make a bow from? Also at 59" what kind of draw lenght would be max? This was to be for my self and my neice to work on at OJAM, her draw lenght is 24" and mine is 28". This is our first atempt to make a self bow. Thanks for any input.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mullberry stave
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
Yes it is wide enough! If the tiller is good you could squeze out 28" of draw, but 24" is a good target if it is your first bow.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Longbow Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
Thanks Osagetree
   This is more for my neice who turned 13 Christmas. We took her to Ojam last year where she busted rock. This year she wants to make a bow and this is all I have. Ralph is going to have his hands full showing us how to tiller the beast. Its not perfectly straight, but have to work with what I have.

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »
Myron, I'm betting we can figure out something with that stave. We'll just cut away everything that don't look like a bow!
Building Bows Is Only Half The Fun, The Other Half Is Passing That Knowledge On!

Offline Longbow Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Ralph your the man!!! But if the mullberry doesn't work, a friend gave me a hickery stave and a osage stave. Also a black locust that is to short but looks like it could be split and spliced? We will bring all and get your opinion.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©