3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nonresident Montana Native Hunting License  (Read 269 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Nonresident Montana Native Hunting License
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I am just getting started on a plan for a 2013 DIY elk hunt. My first step was going through all the regs for all the states on my short list to figure out where to go.

I stumbled upon this license class in the Montana regs and I wondered if anyone here had used the program? My birth certificate and hunters ed card were both issued in Montana and I have several qualifying family members living in the state.

If anyone has experience with it, any gotchas or fine print I'm missing? It looks almost too good to be true. If it is as it reads, I think this will put Montana as the top choice for me.
Thom

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nonresident Montana Native Hunting License
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
I wasn't aware of it but it sure sounds like that is the case.I would call one of the FWP offices to be sure.It does sound pretty clear to me.Just make sure you have all the information they request.Good luck.

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
I used that program to buy my license this year, my elk tag only cost me $80.00.  I did not have to deal with any fine print at all, it all went very smooth.  I was in Montana when I purchased my tag, I'm not sure if you would have to be present or not.  The person at the Fish and Game office told me that I did not have to be present.  I used my Dad for my family member, he has lived in MT his entire life.  

My Montana elk tag has costed me thousands over the last ten years, but I always pay it so I can hunt with my dad and brother.  I is nice that it was not such a hit on the pocket book this year.

Offline Anaconda12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
I believe your family member has to be a sibling or parent as well I dont think just cousins and uncles qualify, is that correct?  And they have to be present with you when you are hunting I believe
Luck has nothing to do with it, just Boot leather and a GWP.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Great stuff, thanks everyone!

I do see that you must go to a field office to submit the paperwork in person, but if there isn't a huge risk of it being rejected for some bureaucratic fine print I'm cool with making the trip out.

As far as actually hunting with family, I see that is the intent of Come Home To Hunt. That wouldn't require a Montana birth certificate, but it would require a previous RESIDENT hunting license and a immediate family member to sponsor you. Additionally those are limited to 500 tags per year for each deer and elk. Doesn't look like NMNHL has any limits set.

I may give the office a call just to figure out exactly which family members count for this and which ones wouldn't.
Thom

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
I heard about the potential of this going through to become law but havnt heard if it had.

Im shaking with excitment  :jumper:  

Is it something you can do over the counter or do you have to apply like non-resident?
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
This will get you caught up with what I know so far:
 http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/nativeHuntingLicense.html  
Thom

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Thx Thom
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline parshal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Those are some pretty particular requirements.  It's almost like they wrote the law for you.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Wow Thom, that's a pretty sweet deal!  Hoping it works out for you.  :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
It's looking pretty good Rick, wanna go hunt elk in 2013?
Thom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©