3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What BIGGER or CAMP Knife Do You Pack on Your Hunts??  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
What BIGGER or CAMP Knife Do You Pack on Your Hunts??
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
Hey all,

YEP, another knife thread.  PICS are encouraged too!

One of my other loves are knives.  Can you ever have too many knives?  Anyway, I was looking through some AG Russell catalogs and website and thinking about what would be a good LARGE knife to also carry on a hunt.  SO many great knives out there though.  I'm not talking about anything too outrageous, I probably would limit my choice to UNDER 8 inches of blade length.

Some of the ones I have looked at and thought about maybe getting are the Puma Bowie, Cold Steel Recon Scout, Becker BK6, Grohmann Survival Knife, Randall Model 25(if I ever had that much extra cash), Becker Magnum Camp Knife, and the AG Russell Field Knife 2.  Like I said, a LOT of AWESOME knives out there.

I also don't want to shortchange some of the custom makers here who make gorgeous knives every day.  I'm sure I could get exactly what I wanted with any of them and one day I hope to own a few of them.

SO, I'd like to see what LARGE knives you all carry and use when you go afield hunting, fishing or just hanging out in the woods just to BE in the outdoors.

If you have pics....please post.

If you have recommendations, that would be great too.

So, lets see 'em....and hear what you like and use on your trips afield.

Thanks,

Nalajr

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What BIGGER or CAMP Knife Do You Pack on Your Hunts??
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
USMC  KA-BAR  full size 7" blade

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
I always carry a copy of the crocodile hunter bowie (as used in the movie "Crocodile Dundee"). The blade is 10 inches and I like it very much. I own this knife for more then 25 years and it has seen lots of abuse. It is a real user and my wife gave it to me as a present    :)   . It still cuts paper without any problems. It was made by a German blacksmith.

Knives are my second love too! I own 4 Bark Rivers, some Bucks, some Kabars, one SOG (the legendaric Scuba Demo) and then some more.

My latest purchase was a semi-custom Bark River Bravo-1. Blade made of CPM 3V steel and the handle is made of blue/gold elder burl. Not bad at all...

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 02:24:00 AM »
those Bravo 1's are sweet !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 02:31:00 AM »
Yup, Bark River has great stuff, but the Bravo-1 is one of my favorites. Build like a tank and nuke-proof! It is insane sharp, the hairs will jump offf your arm when they see that knife coming... Another model I like very very much is their Canadian Special. There is something about that knife that is just right!I have one made of A2 steel and with an antique Ivory micarta handle:

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
Cold Steel Recon Scout

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
I carry the "LaClair Bowie"...   :rolleyes:  It has a 10" blade of 5160 carbon alloy steel. A choice of stag or walnut scales, it's a beefy knife that gets any job done.

http://www.shrewbows.com/bowieknife/

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
LIke RLA said, Ka-Bar USMC with a 7" bowie is hard to beat, had one since I was 12, am 50 now. I also use a newer Ka-BAR Warthog, shorter blade, but much wider, deep hollow ground and same weight as the full length one. I am making one for myself now, classic bowie, with a 8 1/2 inch blade, sharpened clip with a tip you can pic briars out of your hand with. Making this from an old sawmill circle saw. Last  year at the Tenn. Classic, Rob Tattoo on here and I were at my booth, discussing knives. Rob brought up a saying I strongly agree with, which is"You can do a little job, with a big knife, but cant do a big job with a small knife".
samuel koger

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
I usually carry a 10in BR Golok or Marbles Trailmaker for clearing brush. Then for everything else I use a 3.5 in hunting knife my brother made.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Here is my Laclair bowie in its natural environment:

Love that knife! (It has special scales to boot!)

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Mannys knife is a special one of a kind. He wanted an osage handle on his knife and I didn't have any on hand. I had a bow on the wall that had been made for me by Don Adams in 1981, 83#@ 28". I killed a nice buck with it before it broke. I wrapped the broken limb and hung it on the wall under the mounted buck. When I need some osage I took it down and we got enough wood for Mannys knife out of it.

Then we put an elk horn burl on it and made a walking stick out of the rest of the bow.

Maybe someday Manny will have the walking stick but for now, I need it...   :D  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Hunting I carry an old Uncle Henry's stockman 3 blade my Dad gave me as a teen, or one of my other "family knives".

Camping; I use a Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie, it's so sharp, I can get cut just thinking about it.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
If I carry a Camp Knife, this is it. The blade is 9 3/4 inch with the over all length being 15 inches. I like spring steel for the blade, this one is 5160. The carry system is as importand as the knife. I like a belt with a shoulder strap or a harness similar to Rons LaClair's. This keeps it where you want it and easy to hand.

"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
I tote a Lin Rhea hunter on my side everyday. If I got my snake boots on there is a Original Bowie stuck down in one of them. I have a Kershaw Outcast that I take if I'm building ground blinds.
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
 The carry system is as importand as the knife. I like a belt with a shoulder strap or a harness similar to Rons LaClair's. This keeps it where you want it and easy to hand.  

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »

Bob Dozier Wilderness Knife

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »

Other side.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
KaBar Becker BK2.  It certainly isn't the quintessential "deer skinner", but it will do that and everything else a razor sharp pry-bar should do. If Armageddon starts while in your tree stand, it's the knife you want on you.  (and I've got one with Xtra's listed in the classifieds)

"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
Here's the one I'll never be without when I'm in the woods.  

http://shrewbows.com/laclair_skinner/index.html  

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Ron,
That Skinner is just a good lookin' blade!
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©