3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What BIGGER or CAMP Knife Do You Pack on Your Hunts??  (Read 2240 times)

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What BIGGER or CAMP Knife Do You Pack on Your Hunts??
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
I carry a Randall model 25-6 for general use, and a Swafford Autumn hunter for dressing game.  One day soon I plan to ask Swafford to make me a 6" blade knife with the autumn hunter profile, that will be the main carry then.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
This one is a Special Edition in a display case, in honor of Mountainman Seth Kinman

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
That thing triples as knife, machete, and sword!
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline tking308

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »

It was my grandfathers. 7 inch blade. Could use a little clean up but it shaves hair. Honestly always thought it was an old K-bar but don't know that for sure.  All it says on it is US Camillus NY

Offline Webster2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
The older I have become, the smaller the knives have become.  LOL

Favorites:

Puma 3087 jagdnicker and a restored skinner, similar to the original Russell Green River skinner.

Have many others, including the Puma Original Bowie.

You can keep them...
Caribow Tuktu 59# @ 28"

Damon Howatt Hunter 72# @ 31"

Humiliator 85# @ 28"

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Here are a couple work horses i picked up in a trade some time ago. There not customs, but good blades none the less.  [/url] [/IMG]

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
i always carry my little dozier slim outdoorsman.  3.5".  i have no use for pre-broken knives.

i've always loved big knives, too, though.

most of the men i hunt hogs and elk with carry a pistol.

i just don't like to carry a firearm when bowhunting.  not an ethical thing, not a judgemental thing.

just an aesthetic thing.

anyway, i still like to have a last-ditch weapon, against bear or boar.

i recently bought 2 laclair bowies.  meant to have 1 as a spare, but the ranch manager, who treats me way better 3than i deserve, really admired them, so i gave him 1 yesterday.

call it unemployment insurance.  not really.  he's a good friend, and i learned a long time ago you reap what you sow.

anyway, cl matteo forges a remarkable 10" bowie knife, and ron laclair sells it.

it's not just fairly priced, it's stupid-cheap.

joe

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
This  Bagwell Bowie and this little Caper have seen a lot of the world

This Wheeler  is getting a lot of carry these days

Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
I'm in the other camp... I am not such a knife guy... but then again, I am usually packing heat, so a knife is just a tool for cutting up game....

I have a machete in the truck or camper...

a benchmade Pardue Auto-Axis or Old Henry Schrade in the pocket

and a stockman knife in the pack- used to be an old carbon bladed boker (german made-lost) now a buck stockman...

Really I find for field dressing, the stockman is my goto knife... For butchering at camp, I usually go for the single bladed lock blades... At home, the Henckels kitchen knives get the call...

Those big knives don't do it for me... I can appreciate craftsmanship, however, I find the small blades are easier for a whitetail... It is a finesse job to gut and skin...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
NICE Stuff everyone.  I love it.  Keep 'em coming.

That's OK if you're not a knife person.  No problem with that at all.  I like and carry a "pocket" knife every time I step outside.  I used to carry a Benchmade Pardue Auto, but gave it to my nephew.  Ever since I have been carrying Spyderco knives.  They make some really nice knives for the money and have a helluva warranty.  I sat down in a funky office chair one day with a G10 handled Endura and the "housing" where the belt clip was held got caught and tore it all up.  I called Spyderco and asked them if they could take a look at it and fix it and let me know how much it costs.  After about a week of waiting to hear from them, I got a box in the mail that had a brand new Endura in it.  GREAT COMPANY and knives.

I carry an Endura each day and would love to get a Spyderco POLICE version with the serrated blade and stainless handle.

Thanks all.

Nalajr

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
This "Longhunter" knife is 12.5" OA and has a ball grip bone handle. It's 8" 1095 carbon steel blade takes an exceptionally keen edge. When I carry this one it gets used for a multitude of cutting chores.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Joe, what make is that 1911?

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Ill be toting this tricked out Kabar this year.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Wow what some knives.  Great stuff gentlemen.
Here's my EDC package.  The big knife is Busse Combat Anniversary Steel Heart.  Haven't seen any Busse's yet so I figured I'd better throw one in the mix.

Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Custom by Ben Tendick...BRT Bladeworks

God Bless,   Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
Here's a nice trade knife from Sticshooter. I just need to figure out a better way to carry it. I've got a cross draw belt holster for it, but it gets it the way.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
This vintage Schrade 171 UH is by my side most times. 5.5" blade and just about 10" overall it has a nice sized handle that fills up my hand just right.

Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Ron's "LaClair Bowie" goes with me most trips to the woods. It is a great knife, both beautiful and functional.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Briarjumper, if that is your Every Day Carry setup, I'd hate to see what you'd be packing IF you thought trouble was on the way.

Nice collection of gear though.  I like it.

Nalajr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©