3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What BIGGER or CAMP Knife Do You Pack on Your Hunts??  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What BIGGER or CAMP Knife Do You Pack on Your Hunts??
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Nala:
NICE Stuff everyone.  I love it.  Keep 'em coming.

That's OK if you're not a knife person.  No problem with that at all.  I like and carry a "pocket" knife every time I step outside.  
Gee Nala, I sorta got my nickname *Slasher* because in the Marines I was considered a knife person.... But a karambit doesn't do much for the outdoors... And I tend to be more of a CCW guy these days for defense...

As they say don't be remembered as the guy who took a knife to a gunfight!!! But within 5 yds a knowledgeable  fella witha knife will win 9x outa ten....
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
I'm a small knife person. I get myself in trouble up inside a deer with a long blade.

Having said that, I do like the idea of a hawk or camp knife in my rucksack. I took a forging class one time with Robin Hudson when he lived on the eastern shore of Maryland. He had a camp knife that he never loaned out. Wore it on a swivel sheath on his strong side. It always hung straight down whether he sat or stood.

He was doing a forging demo at a camp when it started raining. I had a small tarp and another guy had miles of para cord so all we needed was a few saplings to make an awning. One slice per sapling was all he needed and we were in business. Sure, I could have whittled them down with my little belt knife, but that would have been sadly lacking in panache.   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
bill bagwell said that something magical happens between 9" and 10" blade length.

i agree.  a 10" knife will CHOP.

just yesterday, my dogs were fighting a dying raccoon which had a sharp broadhead sticking out of it.

i couldn't get a clear shot, so i moved in and ended the fight with a chop to the back of the coon's neck.

severed the spine.   none of the good guys got hurt.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
I will always carry a small hunting knife. But for clearing around camp and a ground blind, a 10 inch bowie with the edge "set up" correctly to handle some chopping, is hard to beat. I actually like 9 3/4 with a 5 1/4 inch handle for a total of 15 inches. I rarely will make any camp knife over that. If longer, there are diminishing returns to a degree because of sheer size, but they are cumbersome if the weight distribution is not perfect. I agree with that "magical" thing Mr Bagwell talks about. I think it has to do with efficiency and ergonomics if pressed to explain. All of that palaverin aside, I'm making a 12 inch bowie with very good distal taper that is scary to hold. It's is well balanced for a long blade. I'm wanting to use it for a camp knife myself.  I'll post it up soon.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
If I didn't already have this one I would be carrying Ron Laclare's Bowie knife (I still might and pick up a Trapper Companion). Love that Shrew Steel.

I never liked big knives but someone mentioned to me once that they could save your life. I thought of all things that could happen on the back country trips I take and thought they were right. From now on I would be rather caught with it when I don't need it, than caught without it when I do need it.  

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
Full size K-Bar Fan here.  I carry that with my smaller homemade belt knife /file kit when hunting backcountry.  

I use it as a multipurpose tool for chopping, hammering tent pegs, splitting wood, machete, and bear medicine.
It does not get any utilitarian than that.

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
i don't think i've ever met an outdoorsman who carried a big knife INSTEAD of a small knife, by the way.

the small knife is indispensable, and a given.

joe

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
I believe it was Randy Ruana who said "if a man is attacked by a bear, but keeps his wits about him he can survive with a well placed thrust up into the heart while he's lying on the ground being chewed on".

Wouldn't want to attempt that with my little 3.5".
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
Thats really cool Ron.....   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:
I believe it was Randy Ruana who said "if a man is attacked by a bear, but keeps his wits about him he can survive with a well placed thrust up into the heart while he's lying on the ground being chewed on".

Wouldn't want to attempt that with my little 3.5".
If you do a search,you should be able to find the story.

"In 1903 Harry Wolhuter, the first Game Ranger of Kruger National Park, Africa, killed a lion, (that was dragging him away by his right shoulder), with a sheath knife having a 6 inch blade of the “Pipe Brand,” manufactured by T. Williams of Smithfield, London. It was “an ordinary butcher’s knife of the sticking type,” as described by Harry, in his book, Memories of a Game Ranger."

Pretty amazing!

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
It's hard to keep my wits about myself even when I'm not being chewed on. Man, that's gotta hurt. But when you dont have a choice, a longer blade would be better under the circumstances.
  :scared:
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Okay.  I'll be the total rebel here.  If I'm carrying that much weight for a "camp knife" it's going to be this one  :D

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
There we go, a Nice Hawk!!!  :scared:   They are  ALL  Great!!  :clapper:    :clapper:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
My everyday camp knife carried on my person is a common butcher with 6" blade. Carbon steel, easy to sharpen and you can slice meat, veggies, and spread mayonaisse. One of the most practical knives I've ever owned and I've used it the past 32 years.

Now the heavy work I don't carry this thing but have it in camp along with a couple of hawks. It's a Model 1910 WW1 bolo knife. 15" of heavy steel. You could do amputations with it (and they did).

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
During WWII all of my uncles were in the service. One of them was in the Philippines and he wrote home to my aunt that the natives on the islands were making bolo knives out of the propellers of downed fighter planes. When my aunt wrote back to him she let me put a little note at the bottom of the letter. I ask him to send me one of those bolo knives. I was really disappointed when he didn't send me one. But then I guess it was for the best, I probably would have chopped off one of my fingers....I was only 8 years old...   :goldtooth:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
The WW1 bolos continued to see heavy service in WW2 mainly in the Pacific theater island campaign. The Marines used them to clear shooting lanes for the machine guns.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
hawks and hatchets do 1 thing very well.  chop.

they generally do that better than a big bowie, but not always, as in my 'coon fight.  i had more margin for error on a moving target.

but chopping is ALL that 'hawks and hatchets can do.

a big bowie can slice, stab, rip, and chop.  

and, as bagwell did to prove a point, skin a mouse.

i think 'hawks and hatchets are cool.  got some.

but they don't approach a bowie in versatility.

joe

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
I know of one man in VA who roughs out decoy heads and bodies with a hachet. Watching him work is poetry in motion. He holds it by the head and it is scary sharp.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
cool, reddogge.

right after i posted that, i thought of hammering, pounding. they beat knives all hollow for that.

i repent of dissing 'hawks and hatchets.

a man who loves a given tool can make it do amazing things.

joe

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
I am a bit of knife nut and own gazzillions of them ...
I don't think you can go past an ESEE 6" for a all round 'camp knife' and it chops so well that I am always suprised it is only a 6" blade ... plus its reasonably priced with an amazing warranty ... if I damage or lose it I won't be too heartbroken ... unlike my customs and Randalls   :eek:  
Ditto the Junglas ... 10 inches of chopping power and a fantastic 'camp ' chopper ... Boy have I given mine some punishment round the farm and camp !

but they come in kydex ... which I loath .. so I had  leather sheaths made for them ... sweet

But my best bang for the buck ... things have gone wrong ... I am in trouble ... need a camp/ everything knife that'll never let me down I go to Scott Gossman and his spear point Tuskers .....
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©