3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Twisted Timber Treestands...... WOW !  (Read 511 times)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Twisted Timber Treestands...... WOW !
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
I'm not sure I could get comfortable with that much "lean back" from the stand seat of the Twisted Timber stand.  I need to feel that tree trunk against my back to get comfortable enough to hunt. I'd have to find a tree with less lean.  The stands I have allow for some platform leveling, enough for me (2 or 3 inches). It looks like a good design, well thought out, and the weight isn't bad-just not for me.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
I just don't see this being a treestand that I would want to carry or put up.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
I think we need to start this thread over,, Who gives a rat about the crank up monster.

The Twisted Timber solves one problem of hunting from nasty trees. Now if they would just solve the problem of getting back into it if you fall.

Hunting out of one of them, most harnesses will have you hanging back side to the tree and 2' away from it or anything..
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
Earl, at one point there I was thinking that too.....

If you did fall I guess you could swing back and forth till you could get a hold on the limb / trunk and go from there ...... ?

I am thinking I am going to go ahead and buy one.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
I think I'd use one of those harnesses that would allow you to lower yourself to the ground. I think it's called the Rescue One or something like that.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
Can you imaging putting us this stand in the dark! I'm more then happy with my $135 PAC Seat thank you!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
I settled in on the Millenium stands. They don't adjust to the really crooked trees, but they are so incredibly easy and SAFE to hang plus the most comfortable stand I have ever sat in.

I started carying them last year and sold most of my other personal stands including my Lone Wolf. If I need to take the stand with me when I leave, I just slip it off the bracket and leave bracket, ladder and all in place. Hang the stand back up in about 30-40 seconds the next sitting.
Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
The Twisted Timber stands look nice. My concern would be in climbing those crooked trees to hang the stand. I guess screw in steps would be the best option and I do not like screw in steps. Crooked trees in my experience are a pain to climb. Of course they often grow in the best places
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Rapid Rails and a hang on - AND a FULL BODY HARNESS!!!
Mel Riley

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
What happens when it rains or snows and freezes? it might be a cold night
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
We use the el cheapo hang ons 75% of the time and use our Summit Vipers the other 25% of the time, especially the first sit or two in a new area. After confirmation of the "Best" tree we will move a hang on to that tree if possible and hunt it the rest of that season.

Lots of the times the, " Best " tree was not best for a regular hang on. Most are not as bad as the extreme examples given on the Twisted Timber website showing how versatile they can be. One example that comes to mind is a huge 5 trunked maple we have killed deer from the last 4 years. The only trunk we can hang on with a regular hang on stand leans just enough to make you almost uncomfortable. The Twisted Timber would solve that problem, quick, fast, and in a hurry looks like.   :campfire:
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
Oh yeah, we use the woodpecker and bolts to climb with too. We also hate screw in steps, way too much work and also leaves your stand available for others to hunt while you are away. We carry 15-20 bolts in our Summit SOP harness pouch and take them in and out each hunt. Once you have your trees drilled for the season the hard part is over.
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Lots of public land and leased land don't allow any damage to trees, e.g., nails, screw in steps, bolts, etc.  I carry strap-on steps.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©