3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Muzzy Phantoms  (Read 425 times)

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
Muzzy Phantoms
« on: August 03, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
i got some today and want to get the sharpest edge possible on them. whats yalls reccommendations?? i got a 8 inch file with them, but to get the proper angle i wind up filing away at the furrel towards the tip. then again my horrible filing experience dosent help.   :help:
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Muzzy Phantoms
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
You can use an accusharp or one of the little wheel sharpeners from   http://www.simmonssharks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SimmonsSharks.com&Category_Code=Sharpeners&  they'll get so sharp they'll scare ya.That's the way I touch up mine & their super sharp.....
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »
Get some diamond "stones" and go SLOW with minor pressure - let the diamonds do the work - but try to keep that angle. Some jigs out there for making sure the later is constant - I like my   Warthog sharpener   for example!
If needed go from coarse to fine stone and then BUFF the edge on a piece of leather with some chrome polish or buffing compound. THIS will give you the ultimate sharpness.

BTW: IMO sharpening is fun and I don't understand why there are so many "sharpening challanged" out there ...

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
Razoredge Sharpening Systems (http://www.razoredgesystems.com/) makes a real  neat little "arrowhead jig" that holds the broadhead at a constant angel while sharpening. I've been using one for about 35 years or so and they do a wonderful job on two blade heads. There are a few sharpening systems I have not tried so cannot comment on them but others can. There are lots of options and I have found that the Phantoms take and hold an extremely sharp edge.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
Why is it I think you and I are the only two guys in the world who know about the Razor Edge, Bill?

Great jig, long overlooked.  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Falk:
Get some diamond "stones" and go SLOW with minor pressure - let the diamonds do the work - but try to keep that angle. Some jigs out there for making sure the later is constant - I like my   Warthog sharpener   for example!
If needed go from coarse to fine stone and then BUFF the edge on a piece of leather with some chrome polish or buffing compound. THIS will give you the ultimate sharpness.

BTW: IMO sharpening is fun and I don't understand why there are so many "sharpening challanged" out there ...
GEESH! could have told me that was in GERMAN!!!  :D

i cant read german but i kinda gathered how it worked... :knothead:

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
Come on! Everyone who is quoting Otto von Bismark should be able to read German - don't you think?!  ;)

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
I give the Phantoms a couple light strokes with the acusharp and they will shave hair.

John

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Falk:
Come on! Everyone who is quoting Otto von Bismark should be able to read German - don't you think?!  ;)
that was already in English when i found it!  :D

besides, it was actually in my history book last year, thats kinda scary now that i think about it... :eek:

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
i use crok stiks from academy to get mine hair popping sharp

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
The Phantom BHs come very sharp out of the package.  All you need to do is use a ceramic stick or sharpening steel to enhance what is already there.  You can then stop the edge if you would like, but my Phantoms have never required the extra step to shave hair.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
Charlie: I think we are showing our age. It's been around a while...just like us.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
well, im going to shoot them to learn how they fly, so im wanting the best way to re/touch-up sharpening them...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©