3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree stand practice without a stand?  (Read 469 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree stand practice without a stand?
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
I live in a duplex so shooting everyday from a stand is out of the question.  So is shooting from the roof.  I am able to shoot up to 25 yards into the garage.  So, what can I do to prepare to shoot from a 15' tree stand this fall?  I plan on setting up a stand at my buddies so I can get a little practice before season.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree stand practice without a stand?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Get a tall ladder and set it up in your driveway shooting back into the garage might help some. Otherwise you need to be going to your buddies house about once a week.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
I have set up an elevated practice area on a steep slope to simulate tree-stand height.  Takes some work to find a piece of ground that will substitute, but it is a very effective way to practice and safer than climbing up and down all the time during practice plus you get a workout going up and down the slope.   Trick is to find a place that will allow you to practice that way in an urban/suburban area.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
X2 what A.Kinslow said.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
If there  is a sand or gravel pit nearby you may be able to get permission to shoot from the top of the sand or gravel piles. There is one big pile up at Hunters Point that Birdbow and I use all the time when we are up there bear hunting. Gets us up about 12' so we get a pretty good feel for shooting those kinds of shots.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
Stand on a chair and shoot down a flight of stairs.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
I shoot off of my roof.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
one of the keys for stand shooting is height for sure, but don't neglect balance. Try shooting off of a couple of 2x4's stacked or off of a stool to simulate standing in a precarious position.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
Elevated practice is crucial if you plan to bunt from a tree stand. Please use appropriate safety precautions during practice as well as from your tree stand. Roofs and ladders can just as dangerous as tree stands.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
Don't forget to bend at the waist.lol
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by riverrat 2:
X2 what A.Kinslow said.
X3

I need to find one of those places...for now my ladder will have to do.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Pond dams work nice also if you have access to one.
Bretto

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shortlongbow:
Elevated practice is crucial if you plan to bunt from a tree stand. Please use appropriate safety precautions during practice as well as from your tree stand. Roofs and ladders can just as dangerous as tree stands.
So true and be aware of power lines. I am blessed to be able to shoot out of the top of my barn. It's about 15ft. high. Now if I could talk Sandra into retrieving my arrows.  :)
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Get on a stool or bucket and shoot at a very small target like a lifesaver or bottle cap at very close range. It's more about the angles than the distance.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
Stand on a chair and shoot down a flight of stairs.
If someone tries this please get it on video!!! LOL! I would try it but I'm married and I enjoy life!!
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Don't forget too bend at the waist
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
I would never discourage a guy from practicing, but I guess I am in the minority of some of this. I do shoot off a chair on my deck occasionally just to have the feel of being on a stand. But when I went back to trad 25 years ago it was all about the ease and fluidity like my athletic days of basketball/football.

I realize there are fundamentals, but when it comes to hunting I have never worried about "bending at the waist" or whether a deer was standing or moving, etc.  

I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago that I harvested a buck this past season from a stand as I drew my bow while slowly squatting from a standing position to one knee, leaning my butt against the seat support, shooting under branches out about 18 yds, while the deer slowly walked at 25 yds.  Not sure I could have ever "practiced" that shot.  

I am sure there is technically a difference, and I probably compensate in some manner, but I honestly have never found a difference from a tree or on the ground. I sure do not think about it and the deer have not noticed!   :)  

Just some thoughts. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
Since you have a garage could you buy a cheap 8-10' tall tripod?  The smaller tripods can be taken down quickly and then just stored in your garage.  I have seen, and hunted out of, some short 8' folding tripods (also lightweight) that would be ideal.  Just not sure where to get one.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
Well I just went out and shot from a 27" stool at 4 yards in the garage.  When I do the math, it is the same angle as shooting from a 15' stand with a target at 25 yards.  I was aiming at spots that were the size of a dime and out of the 16 shots I took, I was within an inch every time.  I am going to move a little closer to get the angle of a 15 yard shot.  So far it feels good and I focused on the spot not so much the angle.  I am going to call my buddy today and ask about setting up a stand in his yard so I can get the real practice.  Thanks for the help.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
WIteacher- one other thing that may make a difference for you that just occurred to me as I re-read these posts (and I bet I do almost unconsciously). . .  I learned years ago from listening to John Schulz and see it play out in my hunting, that when an animal is close (say under 15 yds) and you are high in a tree, if you cant your bow even more than normal you may find yourself to be even more accurate.  

Just 2C
Good shooting and practice
Dan -down here in the hottest KS ever!! YUK
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©