3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodchuck Help  (Read 326 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodchuck Help
« on: July 06, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
A buddy has just asked me to help him out with his woodchuck issue. The woodchuck is big and old, but a menace. He's pretty tame, but I'd appreciate any advice you guys have, I'd be shooting him In a larger backyard. Think I'll need to camo up and actually sneak up? Or just walk up inside of 20 yds and send a shaft after him?
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodchuck Help
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Whatever you do,use a broadhead. Way to tough of a critter to use any of the small game heads.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
Planning to try out my Eclipse 2 blades on cedar shafts.  Should I shoot heart and lungs or head on these guys?
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »
Not a woodchuck killer,but would think that either would work
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Just make sure it is shot well enough to kill it right where it is. Nothing worse than a dead groundhog rotting under a shed!

I've killed over 200 with traditional equipment, the vast majority dragged arrow and all back into their hole. If you get one arrow into it I would keep shooting 'til it was dead.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
I'll second the broadhead advice. They are tough animals. The adult groundhogs here are more skittish than the deer I hunt in the fall. Use any trick you can to get yours. Best of luck and let us know how you make out.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Sharp head and aim for the vitals, you can glance off their hard head. I have killed a bunch with a bow, had a bunc make it into the den with arrow shots that would have killed a deer quicker!
samuel koger

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
broad head and make sure you chase him after the hit as alot of times he will try to bite your arrow in half or go under ground with it. that is if your arrow dont pass through. best is to let him come out and be comfortable before trying to move. and hunt like you would any game... HIDE. also if you know where his hole is and come out and heads same way all the time. most hawgs do. set up behind his hole up close and wait it out and he won't look back towards his hole much, but ahead and to the side. you can take advantage of him like that. almost always when its hot and you get a rain shower in the evenings make sure your there set up, cause he will be out for sure. movement will get you, just wear earth tone clothes and keep still. also they dont come out everyday. i have seen them not come out for 2 days or more. i have at time hunted specific hawgs. biggest i got was almost 17lbs and guys around here shot them in fall up to 22lbs. they have ground hog hunts around here that go by weight. pretty fun. good luck
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Thanks Gents!

Just outta curiosity... A these pelt animals or can you actually eat them... Don't mean to sound ignorant, I just have no idea.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
You can eat them. Par boil with bay leaf then BBQ

I'd use the biggest broadhead you can get your hands on. A big Snuffer would be great and some kind of "stopper" to add shock.

I've killed a bunch with the Magnus blunt with blade. My wounding loss dropped dramatically when I started using them.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline whitetail_downer100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
You can eat them but they have glands between the bigger muscle groups in the hind legs that should be removed.  Smaller ones are better and none of them like to give up there skin.  They are better used for trapping bait or fertilizer for the garden.  All of the broadhead advice above and the approach from behind advice is solid.  Be prepared to lose your arrow and kill the little bugger!  Good luck.  Also, pelts are not worth much of anything.

Best,
-Captain Logan A. Giger-
USMC
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take... but sometimes thats ok"

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
I've shot a number of them with a bow and arrow.  Be prepared to loss your arrow.  For me, they would pull the arrow in the hole or break the arrow in half as they are going into the hole.  Even with a broadhead all have made it to the hole and I lost my arrow. I was using wood and aluminum arrows.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
use a fishing arrow, with the string tied to it.  also, a broadhead with a stopper, like charlie said.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
The only one I've ever hit took an aluminum shaft and bear razor head down the hole with him.
  I could hear him crunching on it!  :rolleyes:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
I've killed a few.  Deer hunting is a whole lot easier in my opinion.

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
I like spot and stalk and I use Snuffers

They do make it to the hole sometimes they are tough critters
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Theres is a  good amount of information here. I think I'm going to use a pretty big and nasty broadhead that will shred the buggers vitals apart. Hopefully it'll kill him before he runs off. It will pass the arrow through too and leave a big ol hole. Supposedly this guy is pretty tamed. But I wont take chances. I'll camo up and stalk him down in the backyard and put the arrow through his chest.  The edges of the yard are wooded and will provide good cover. When this gets done, I'll post up the pics. It will be my first trad kill!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
Shoot em right behind the front leg.
if you shoot him with a good sharp Bh a ways from his den, he'll never make it back to his hole. If you miss your mark say good bye to your arrow.  Good hunting
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©