3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Guide Gear Shadow Sneaker boots?  (Read 350 times)

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
Guide Gear Shadow Sneaker boots?
« on: July 07, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
I'm looking to buy some lightweight hunting boots that are not all bulky and clunky on the stalk. I was looking at these boots that seem to fit the bill and are available cheap from some online stores. The full name is: Guide Gear Waterproof ScentMask Shadow Sneaker Hunting Boots.

Has anyone tried these?
Or does anyone have a better recommendation?

I am going to be hunting mostly in warm California weather, some wet conditions like wet grass in the mornings. Mainly I want to find something that won't be as loud as my normal hiking boots or work boots.

If I get them I'll put a review in the review forum.

Thanks y'all

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Guide Gear Shadow Sneaker boots?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
Have you looked into Mocassins?

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
LL Bean boots are preety nice.  Rubber bottoms and leather upper, fit almost like a sneaker.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
I'd be careful ordering boots online if you're not familiar with them. I've got a couple pair around here that look nothing like in the picture. Some form of Guide Gear Sneaker I also ordered and gave to my next door neighbor.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the answers guys.
I am indeed looking into mocassins, hoping to get some nice american made ones, but I won;t be able to get them for a while and was looking for something I could get in the meantime for an upcoming hunt.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
If you have sweaty feet, you may find the LL Bean boots to be quite uncomfortable in quick fashion.
At least I did.
If you can find them, the original Danner Jackal I's are the best warm weather boots I've ever worn. I have the Jackal II's also and they're good, but I don't care for them as much as the I's.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
What about wresteling shoes?

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »
I have heard that wrestling shoes or boxing shoes can work well for stalking. I was just hoping to find something geared a little more towards hunting/outdoors...like maybe waterproof and more abrasion resistant, I will probably be putting some miles on them too so I nee to make sure they can hold up.

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 06:22:00 AM »
I buy and use a lot of Guide Gear products and have been happy with them "but" I have tried their shoes and wasn't happy with them at all. The same company also sells alot of name brand shoes that are good to go.
Denny

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
I wear my favorite boots until I have the animal spotted, I get around 100 yards or less, then take my boots off, put on a pair of old wool socks, then make my stalk. Can't get much quieter than that.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Shed, has the right idea, only difference is I use mocs as I hate stepping on sharpies.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the input Shed and njloco, I have been seriously considering that method.
However, I was kind of hoping to have footwear that is quiet all the time. That way I will hopefully avoid losing opportunities where my prey hears me before I see it and have time to take off my boots.

How often do you guys miss opportunities on game before you get a chance to take boots off?

In my upcoming hunt opportunities I am going to be hunting pigs in a mixed brush, scrub oak forest, with open fields interspersed. Mostly spot and stalk.

I am really new to bowhunting so I am just trying to learn from all you experienced guys.

Thanks!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Try some good water shoes that folks use for rafting and kayaking......light ,cheap and should let you feel the ground so you can go sneaky....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
I don't remove my foot wear, too many sharp burrs and other things, which is why I usually wear Mocs. in the early season, I find them to be almost as good as socks

I have a pair of new boots which I think shows a lot of promise, they are Irish Setters with a white sole and heel. They are the type with a soft layer and then a harder layer on the ouside, they seem to wrap around twigs and such and deaden the sound if there is any at all, Oh and they are very comfortable to wear.

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Have you looked at these boot they look interesting to try. There by a company that makes the 5 toe barefoot shoes

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/off-road-hi-mens-6.html

njloco is that Irish Setter upland bird boot you are talking about or a different model?

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
I hunted the early season for yrs with camo tennis shoes. I'd be using them now, but it's too rocky where now live and hunt.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shedrock:
I wear my favorite boots until I have the animal spotted, I get around 100 yards or less, then take my boots off, put on a pair of old wool socks, then make my stalk. Can't get much quieter than that.
This works great for open-country, where you can actually spot your game from more than 100yds.  In more brushy terrain, mocs are almost required.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Hey skilonbw, those shoes look pretty sweet! I will look into them as a possibility.

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoe is what we like for swamp stalking until it starts to frost (darn things get COLD).

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
skilonbw,

They are their wing shooter, only problem is they are made in China, so I would not buy them today, but rather look for something similar made in the USA.

NEB,

The LL Bean boot is one of the best boots ever made, it's what made LL Bean what it is today, I understand that the boot with the wool lining is supposed to be pretty warm, just don't plan on sitting still too long.

Bottom line is, since we all have different shaped feet, there is no perfect foot wear that will work well with everyone.

Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©