3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dangerous happenings on LOCAL hunts! Post 'em!  (Read 726 times)

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Dangerous happenings on LOCAL hunts! Post 'em!
« on: July 08, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Fun time! Not the expensive far and away adventures. What happened to you close to home?
Heres my most pant soiling...I went in an hour before pink light to get in my stand and let things quiet down. It was overcast, so PITCH BLACK. Me being king of idiots himself brought no flashlight. But I knew the stand well and thought I'd be okay. Was in about 100 yards on the small cut trail I made and all hell broke loose. I heard a CLOSE twig snap and the brush around me went crazy. I couldnt see anything. RIGHT in front of me, about 5-10 feet, a dog went ballistik. Barking like I was killing it. I fell backwards from the sheer panic in me. The dog semi attacked and my bow hit it in the face? Body? I dont know, but it backed off, and I was up in nano seconds. I had the bow horizontally in front of me to block the unseen dogs possible attack. The barking was insane and non stop...almost screaming. I started yelling, and the dog eased a bit. But I couldnt move. One small move and the dog would lose it all over again. I finally said enough and backed out with the dog following my every step. A grueling 45 minutes later, I was to the road and pink light lit my adversary. A damn pit bull! Seriously?
I made it to my truck and waited for full light. The dog waited about 50 yards away. When I got out it lost it.
The owner finally showed with a leash and furiously asked what I did to her dog. Now with light, I saw the teethmarks in my riser. I was NOT happy. Ziricote damn it!
But I am a calm thinking man and kept my wits. There is a leash law, why was the dog free? It is hunting season, why is the dog free in the woods?
She eventually apologized. I met the dog again in daylight with her present and all was well. He did not want to kill me and knew I wasnt going to kill him.
I was more scared than when I walked between a huge cinnamon bear and her cubs in Alberta. I jumped off a cliff then to escape, this time I had no where to go.
I now appreciate flashlights.
Whatta you all have to tell???????  :eek:    :eek:    :scared:    :campfire:
David M. Conroy

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dangerous happenings on LOCAL hunts! Post 'em!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
A flashlight probably wouldn't have made any difference to the stinking dog! How close were you to the owners home?
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
Packing for a local trip. . . stuff piled up by the door.  I came out in the living room as my 3 year old son had opened my arrow box and was jumping on the sofa with a hunting arrow- broadhead and all. Terrified, yet not to startle him I slowly reached out and put my hand on the arrow shaft just as he jumped off the sofa!

Be careful out there.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by iohkus:
A flashlight probably wouldn't have made any difference to the stinking dog! How close were you to the owners home?
Houses end about 50 yards from where I park. Then all woods. She lived about 300 yards up the road, maybe ten houses away from the last house.
David M. Conroy

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
Setting up a tree stand on September 15th, 2001 I was 1/2 mile from my truck long before I ever thought of owning a cell phone.  At 11' (height of my feet), I decided to save 20 seconds by not using a screw in step and use a branch instead.  Put one foot on and it was fine.  Put both feet on and branch broke, sending me plummeting to the earth below.  The right side of my right boot caught a root that was sticking out of the ground, and stopped my foot from moving.  To bad there was 200 pounds coming behind it.  I snapped my ankle into a 90* angle.  Instantly cold and immediately sweating.  I was in shock, and I knew it.  Only thing to do since I was there by myself was to crawl my dumb arse the 1/2 mile to the truck.  

Long story short, here it is 11 years later and I have just had surgery on both of my legs/feet and I've had limited to zero mobility over the last 3 months.  I finally go back to work in 2 more weeks.  I think I'm ready now, but my work says I must follow my doctor's orders.

I now am a ground pounder to my dying days.  Tree stands are deadly on deer, but they can be even worse on the hunter.   "It just isn't worth saving a couple seconds". I have said that saying to myself many times over the years since, and always opt to do it right, not quick.  

If anybody is wanting a Loggy Boyou treestand, I can give you directions on where I left it.  I never went back there, and don't see making plans for it anytime soon.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Ouuuuuccchhhhhh! I'd leave it there too Mike!
David M. Conroy

Offline Jsbowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
One time clearing a trail to the stand (by myself in the rain) the Machate glances off a limb and right into my shin, luckily my shin bone stopped it. I wrap it up with a piece of my shirt I tore off to keep a little pressure on it. So I'm heading out to get stitched up and run into the landowner, well he starts BSing and I don't want to be rude so I don't say anything, about 15 minutes later he asks what happened to my shirt, you should have seen the look on his face when I told him what happened, needless to say he wrapped up the conversation so I could get over to the ER.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 03:57:00 AM »
A couple year ago I had killed a nice black bear spot and stalk way up on a very steep hillside, sheep & goat country.  As I was taking pics of him etc I noticed something wading out in the lake below me, it was a huge brown bear (not at the dangerous part yet).  Here he is from where I was, zoomed way in.

Anyway, it was late, didn't have much daylight left and I was a few hours and 4,000 feet in elevation from the road... so I just gutted him and headed out, hardly ever do that.  I was mostly concerned about taking a tumble in the dark in the rocks with a heavy pack on.  I moved the gut pile aways off and broke some alder branches to cover him with to help keep the ravens, eagles, and magpies off the carcass until I got back to him in the morning.
Next morning I could hear the birds an hour or so before I got to him, so I knew they had found the carcass, and was wondering what else had...
I normally don't carry a firearm when I'm bowhunting, but since I was returning to a carcass I had brought a decent-for-the-job revolver just in case, but had it in my pack.  Anyway, I was maybe 1/2 mile from the carcass, quite aways below him, moving thru the last stunted hemlock before it was completely open when I heard some large branches breaking, and a bear so large and so close that I could hear him sniffing, trying to get my wind...  I got the pack off quick and fished the revolver out but it didn't come to that, never saw him just heard him breaking branches going the other way.  More than likely the same big brownie I had seen within a couple hundred yards of there the night before.  The birds had cleaned up the gutpile already, but the carcass was untouched thankfully, the brownie must have been bedded down after a salmon dinner, likely would have made his way up the hill later and eaten my black bear.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 06:53:00 AM »
I forgot my TP in my van.  Had to walk back clinching the ole' back side so as not to mess myself.  Couldn't get the roll out quick enough and find a place to sit.  That's scary right there!

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by fdlz58:
I forgot my TP in my van.  Had to walk back clinching the ole' back side so as not to mess myself.  Couldn't get the roll out quick enough and find a place to sit.  That's scary right there!
:biglaugh:      :laughing:  

I laugh because I've been there, my friend, and I'm ashamed to say on more than one occasion.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Hunting elk in the Washakie Wilderness of Wyoming (that's pretty close to home), I was sneaking through some black timber on a well used elk trail. A big "woof!" got my immediate attention and raised the hair on the back of my neck. I looked toward the sound to see a big grizzly giving me the eye, and he was really close. Thankfully, he decided to leave, and as he ran up a hill at full speed, I realized just how much he could have me for lunch if he had decided to do so. After I was sure he was gone, I paced off where he had been, and 35 paces uphill didn't seem very far. I decided that maybe it was time to return to camp via another route.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
I hunt out of a homemade tower stand made from oilfield pipe with steps welded on one leg. Angle iron top, with 2X8's for a floor. A hurricane had blown through and blew a few boards off. I was standing on the top step and moved one of the boards. Had at least a hundred wasps right at my face. Instinct took over and next thing I know, I jumped fifteen feet to the ground. Sunk to my knees in the soft marsh. Took me a few minutes to regain my composure.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
About 8 years ago I took a new hunter on a hog hunt about an hour from my house.We were hunting a friends ranch that always had lots of hogs.The guy with me was new at Trad hunting and had a few missed shots before dark.We were seeing a bunch of hogs and it had started to rain as the sun was setting.We went to the truck ate a snack and let the shower pass , the moon was soon up and you could see very well.We walked around looking for hogs and soon I heard some boars fighting down in a thick fence row.I went down one side and the other guy down the other.Now Im not sure if this guy spooked them or they just quit fighting , both hogs came out of the brush not 20yds away and looked like they would pass me at about 5 or so yards.As the one close to me was about to pass I turned for a shot ( Im in the wide open and so is he ) he saw me move and spun on a dime and came right for me.I drew my longbow and shot at point blank range but it was not soon enough when he hit me it broke both bones in my lower left leg. I hit the ground and he ran right over me , I had a hog foot print on the small of my back and one on my right arm.And it also unstrung my longbow somehow and broke 2 arrows in my hip quiver.The guy with me helped me to my truck then said I gota go home and was out of there so fast your head would spin ( last time I ever took him hunting ) I drove my standard truck the hour home and the wife took me to the ER. I was never cut anywhere no bones were sticking out lots of swelling and a walking cast for a while and I was good as new. I had left my waist pack at the site of the hit and run , so I called the land owner told him what had happened and if he would get my pack so the cows would not eat it.He called me an hour later and said he had my pack and a dead hog in his truck.The hog did not make it 100yds into the open field and he saw it on the way to get my pack. My arrow had went in just back of the head and the broadhead was just out the skin on his underside , he was about 175# boar with small cutters. The land owner never let me hunt there again cause he was worried someone might get hurt I told him the only thing hurting me was my pride cause if I would have hit him between the eyes it would have been a better story...
,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Fifteen years ago on Oct 28 I was home cutting the grass, I had the truck packed and was ready to leave for an evening hunt with my buddy when the wife came home for lunch. At the time she was eight 1/2 months pregnant. Now this was a Monday and she had just seen her doctor on Friday I finished what I was doing and yelled into the house that I was leaving she didn’t answer so I went inside and she was pacing in the hall,she said that she was having cramps and that she had called the doctor and he said it sounds like false labor ,but we could come in if we wanted to .So hear I sit in the office with 10 other women when the Doctor comes out and announces that "there was going to be a delay because he was going to be delivering a baby in the office ".I thought wow that’s pretty cool then reality hit when he called me to come with him. boy due they grow up fast.          

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Ray Hammond's place in SC.  Ray always gives a low down on what to do if you shoot a pig.  On my way back one evening, I stuck a decent one, found the trail and taped it off before it got completely black.  Back at camp Ray asked where my pig was and I told him hopefully not too far from my last flag.  Being it was my first time there, I thought it might be smarter to go with someone that knew the place better than myself.  We went back, hopped on a good bloodtrail and off we went.  At one point the trail went up a four foot embankment where there was litteraly a wall of cane.  I still remember Ray saying "Go head, I'll hold the light..". Needless to say, there was a not yet expired pig in there.  Ever try to turn around in a cane thicket with an arrow nocked on a 62" longbow?  Pucker factor was quite high.

We returned the next morning to find my coated arrow but no pig.  My boot prints were almost on top of that last bloody bed.  From now on, lighted nocks when pig hunting are manditory for me.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
Shot a pig a while back and lost the blood in a thick nasty piece of jungle, marked the last blood and went back to the house to get my machete. Guess what, forgot the bow, went back to last blood and started cutting my way in, no dead pig, very much alive mad as heck boar and nothing to shoot him with. Ever climbed a palm tree and tried to hang on for very long? Not fun. Did not even have room to swing the machete at him,LOL. Left it on the ground when I went up the palm, hugged that palm for 20 minutes until that pig finally gave up. Found him stone dead a couple of days later. Tough animals.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  These are great!
David M. Conroy

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by YORNOC:
 :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:   These are great!
I agree, keep um comin!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Nothing like what has been posted. WOW! you guys have had some close ones! I was groundhunting with my ol'Great Plains recurve. Very early,around 6am I got into a little thicket I had wallowed out for huntability a couple days prior. It was way before daybreak,and I figured it was a good plan because things would have been quiet for a long while before first light. I heard something close moving in the brush about 15 minutes after I planted myself. Very close. Right next to me close. I felt like I was being looked at. I peered in he darkness,into the direction of the noise,and heard a loud SNORT!! WEEZE!! right in my face!! I sat frozen,then it stamped the ground. I COULD FEEL IT INTO MY SEAT! I said
"Please don't gore me." it crashed off. I could not wait for daybreak. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by SAM E. STEPHENS:
About 8 years ago I took a new hunter on a hog hunt about an hour from my house.We were hunting a friends ranch that always had lots of hogs.The guy with me was new at Trad hunting and had a few missed shots before dark.We were seeing a bunch of hogs and it had started to rain as the sun was setting.We went to the truck ate a snack and let the shower pass , the moon was soon up and you could see very well.We walked around looking for hogs and soon I heard some boars fighting down in a thick fence row.I went down one side and the other guy down the other.Now Im not sure if this guy spooked them or they just quit fighting , both hogs came out of the brush not 20yds away and looked like they would pass me at about 5 or so yards.As the one close to me was about to pass I turned for a shot ( Im in the wide open and so is he ) he saw me move and spun on a dime and came right for me.I drew my longbow and shot at point blank range but it was not soon enough when he hit me it broke both bones in my lower left leg. I hit the ground and he ran right over me , I had a hog foot print on the small of my back and one on my right arm.And it also unstrung my longbow somehow and broke 2 arrows in my hip quiver.The guy with me helped me to my truck then said I gota go home and was out of there so fast your head would spin ( last time I ever took him hunting ) I drove my standard truck the hour home and the wife took me to the ER. I was never cut anywhere no bones were sticking out lots of swelling and a walking cast for a while and I was good as new. I had left my waist pack at the site of the hit and run , so I called the land owner told him what had happened and if he would get my pack so the cows would not eat it.He called me an hour later and said he had my pack and a dead hog in his truck.The hog did not make it 100yds into the open field and he saw it on the way to get my pack. My arrow had went in just back of the head and the broadhead was just out the skin on his underside , he was about 175# boar with small cutters. The land owner never let me hunt there again cause he was worried someone might get hurt I told him the only thing hurting me was my pride cause if I would have hit him between the eyes it would have been a better story...
,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,
That is a seriously good story

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©