3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dangerous happenings on LOCAL hunts! Post 'em!  (Read 728 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dangerous happenings on LOCAL hunts! Post 'em!
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by TxAg:

Originally posted by SAM E. STEPHENS:
About 8 years ago I took a new hunter on a hog hunt about an hour from my house.We were hunting a friends ranch that always had lots of hogs.The guy with me was new at Trad hunting and had a few missed shots before dark.We were seeing a bunch of hogs and it had started to rain as the sun was setting.We went to the truck ate a snack and let the shower pass , the moon was soon up and you could see very well.We walked around looking for hogs and soon I heard some boars fighting down in a thick fence row.I went down one side and the other guy down the other.Now Im not sure if this guy spooked them or they just quit fighting , both hogs came out of the brush not 20yds away and looked like they would pass me at about 5 or so yards.As the one close to me was about to pass I turned for a shot ( Im in the wide open and so is he ) he saw me move and spun on a dime and came right for me.I drew my longbow and shot at point blank range but it was not soon enough when he hit me it broke both bones in my lower left leg. I hit the ground and he ran right over me , I had a hog foot print on the small of my back and one on my right arm.And it also unstrung my longbow somehow and broke 2 arrows in my hip quiver.The guy with me helped me to my truck then said I gota go home and was out of there so fast your head would spin ( last time I ever took him hunting ) I drove my standard truck the hour home and the wife took me to the ER. I was never cut anywhere no bones were sticking out lots of swelling and a walking cast for a while and I was good as new. I had left my waist pack at the site of the hit and run , so I called the land owner told him what had happened and if he would get my pack so the cows would not eat it.He called me an hour later and said he had my pack and a dead hog in his truck.The hog did not make it 100yds into the open field and he saw it on the way to get my pack. My arrow had went in just back of the head and the broadhead was just out the skin on his underside , he was about 175# boar with small cutters. The land owner never let me hunt there again cause he was worried someone might get hurt I told him the only thing hurting me was my pride cause if I would have hit him between the eyes it would have been a better story...
,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,
That is a seriously good story [/b]
I hope you got that one mounted!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
I used to hunt an apple orchard in northern Westchester NY, Great Whitetail spot, the place was full of them. One day after hiking back to my car, the sun long time set, I notice something in the tree line, couldn't believe there was a guy with a loaded compound pointing it in my direction, better yet at ME. Meanwhile I have treestand on my back and a full size maglite in one hand bow in the other. When I yell out to him, he snaps out of his daze and tells me he was driving down the road with hi buddy and a nice buck jumped in the farm. I told him, number one never point a bow at a human being again, and when was the last time he saw a buck carrying a treestand, flashlight and a bow, and two he was on private property. Jerk waved me off. When I got back to my car, I told the farmer about it, he jumped in his truck and shot off after them. He was a big man and I don't want to know what he did to them if he caught up with them.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
I have his skull , about 2 years later I was in a new treestand behind the house hunting Whitetails.And I could not get my bow hook started in a limb so I got out my pocket knife and was going to boar out a starter hole with the tip of the knife.Well as I was doing this I hit the lock and it shut on my left index finger cutting it to the bone on the outside joint.The only other time I have ever been to an ER was from the hog.But I could not bend my finger and something was not right so again my wife and I went to the same ER.When we walked in the woman at the desk looked at me for a bit and the first thing she said was , did a hog get you again....
,,,,,Sam,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
I drew my longbow back on a monster 6x7 bull elk broadside at 15 yards.  He winded me and spooked as I released.  My arrow hit his scapula and bounced all the way back to me, just missing my left thigh.  The two blade broadhead tip curled badly and didn't penetrate at all.  I almost bagged myself that trip.

I was hunting big horn sheep in Montana just north of Yellowstone Park.  My buddy and I spotted a bedded ram up the hill from us.  We put the sneak on him and got fairly close when I noticed he looked like he was asleep (head on the ground).  I stood up to get a better look at him and noticed his hip was very bloodied.  He was very dead so my buddy and I started walking toward him.  A large boar grizzly next to the ram stood up on his rear legs, roared and clawed the air while he snapped his jaws at us.  Scared the hell out of me so I turned and ran away as fast as I could.  My buddy still laughs about it to this day that he was 50' ahead of me and that's all that mattered.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Caught heat stroke pretty good one pig hunt.

Pretty dang scared, directions didn't seem right and I walked in circles for a few hours.  after figuring it out and laying down in the trail, I was Happy when Joe came out of the woods and drove me to some water.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
you guys are hardcore.  I forgot my lunch once...close call...

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
LongbowArchitect: that first story (since you didn't) is hilarious  :laughing:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
i was walking to my treestand one morning and about 20 yards into the timber i could hear something walking. no big deal so when i stopped to listen, it stopped. Ok, maybe it was a opposum or a coon, so i started walking again. but once again i heard it walking, so i stopped to listen and again it stopped. by now my imagination is starting to wonder, so i started walking a little faster to my stand and i could hear it again. when i finally got to my stand i stopped at the bottom of my tree and i heard whatever it was take a couple more steps in what sounded like my direction. i dont know if there is a world record for climbing a tree, but if there is i broke it that morning. i sat in my stand and listened as hard as i could until the sun came up, but nothing. i never saw, or heard, anything leave, i still dont know what it was nor do i want to find out!!!!!
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Great story Sam! I can see why you are so "tough" on them hogs now!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
I was sitting in a stand one evening and it was getting to be last light so I figured I would hang in a bit longer. I was sitting there just relaxed as can be when I seen something kinda flutter in my periphial vision. when I turnrd my head to look it was an owl swooping in fixin' to take my head off. I waved my bow kinda quick in a reaction to cover my face when He started back peddling.

I could feel the wind off his wings. Guess He thought I was a tree rat or something. Like to scared the crap out of me.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
The scariest thing to happen to me on a local hunt in a long time was having a big buck stop in front of me on I- 90 as I was doing 85-90 mph. I missed him but a Toyota Sequoia  had all it could take to brake at that speed.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Good stories, keep them coming.  Charlie - What?  You get lost??   :thumbsup:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Great stories!  

Was hunting behind a friends house in northern Minnesota one evening.  I watched a small doe and buck walk through earlier in the evening.  Saw the doe bed down not 40 yards from me.  Just befor dark i caught movement, it was a pack of brush wolves working the thick edge of the trees.  They jumped the doe and had her down only 25 yards from the base of my stand.  Real un-nearving to see and hear. After 20 min. of this, it is all dark and i needed to get going.  I made it down the tree most of the way, grabed my  bow and took off running.  I could still hear them finishing their meal.  Still makes my skin crawl thinking about it.
Teach a child about Christ...then the bow.

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Great stories!  

Was hunting behind a friends house in northern Minnesota one evening.  I watched a small doe and buck walk through earlier in the evening.  Saw the doe bed down not 40 yards from me.  Just befor dark i caught movement, it was a pack of brush wolves working the thick edge of the trees.  They jumped the doe and had her down only 25 yards from the base of my stand.  Real un-nearving to see and hear. After 20 min. of this, it is all dark and i needed to get going.  I made it down the tree most of the way, grabed my  bow and took off running.  I could still hear them finishing their meal.  Still makes my skin crawl thinking about it.
Teach a child about Christ...then the bow.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Nothing like some of you folks but I have 2.
1) Using the lone wolf climbing sticks going in for a evening hunt on the climb up my boot hits the under the top arm of the last stick as I am getting into stand unsecuring it causing it to plummet down to the leaves below.  Like a dummy I decide to hunt and deal with it at the end.  My home is 1:30 from where I hunt and dont think my wife could get a ladder on top of her car so I cant call in the calvery.  Ending up having to bear hug my way down the tree from the stand to the 2nd stick in the dark, pretty unnerving.
2) 0 dark thirty heading in for a turkey hunt going in on a trail from the car make a right 15 yards into the woods into my natural blind set up my decoys on the trail then go back and sit down waiting for the sun to rise.  I head what sounds like a thunder in the distance then start feeling a slight vibration getting louder and more vibration.  I see around 10 buffalo trotting down the trail I just came up running over my decoys!  I couldnt believe my eyes b/c I am in Michigan not a lot of Buff normally!  I set the dekes back up (no damage) and hunt the morning then come out for lunch and check in at work.  The farmer's wife who lets me hunt comes out and says did you see the Buffalo?  I was relieved because I was scared I had hallocinated.  They escaped from a few miles away where a guy had them penned up!  Good thing I wasnt 20 minutes later I would have been on trail with em!
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »
It was many, many years ago.

I had never hunted deer before.  Actually, I had never hunted outside my home state of Alaska.  I was a stranger to hunting around other people, or "private land," and I had CERTAINLY never climbed a tree to hunt before.

Someone gave me access to their private property, "There's a lot of deer there, and you're the only person with permission to hunt it," they said.

I packed up my bow, a portable tree stand that looked a lot like a super-sized monopoly game piece, and about an hour before first light, found a tree to climb.  

Now, I'm not scared of heights... but I am scared of falling.  As I grunted, groaned, and sweated putting in my screw-in steps, I hugged that tree for dear life.  All the while, I got higher, and higher... and higher.  It was probably around 25 feet up that I decided I was high enough.  That skinny tree was swaying back and forth and I felt like it was going to break off at the base.

A couple of trips down and back up the tree -- all the while hugging that tree like a koala, absolutely scared to death -- and then I pulled up my bow.  I thought, "Man, am I glad there is no one else here to watch this!"  I got my safety strap all cinched on, and the sun was coming up.  About 2 minutes later I realized I had to take a leak.  Bad.  So, I thought that I'd better hurry up and get it done before the deer herds started by.  Another perilous trip down the tree.

Puff  puff  puff, I gripped that tree again and climbed down.  I determined that it would be best to walk about 50 yards away and relieve myself, so as to remove the scent from the area.  I found a good tree, went right up to it and started marking it for all I was worth.  

My eyes wandering, I looked up, and jumped like I'd seen a ghost!  About 10 feet up in the tree I was relieving myself on... was A GUY sitting in a tree stand!  It about scared the heebie-jeebies out of me, so I zipped up, turned around, and walked back from whence I came.  A lot of thoughts ran through my head.  "What's he doing here?  No one else has permission to hunt here!"  And then I realized that he had been watching the entire spectacle as I put up that stand.

I walked back to the tree, took down my steps and the stand, and went home.  That guy's probably gonna tell that story for the rest of his life.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Archie,
That is FUNNY!
Thanks,

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Was out calling and a sqirrel runs across both shoulders.Another time calling had a raven land next to me they make a lot of nois when landing. The scasryest was when I was back up to some mazanita calling and all at once had presher on my forehead and back of My neck, rolled trying to get lose. Stood up and a  bob cat was running off in front of me. His hide is on my wall. Go to pick up an arrow and theres a coiled up diamond back.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by ronp:
Good stories, keep them coming.  Charlie - What?  You get lost??     :thumbsup:  
Nah I am too macho to admit I can get disoriented.

I was just seriously confused.  Funny when your head stops working,  you then second guess things that are easy.  I am talking about compass readings and noises from the road.  I had passed markers i had left out and decided someone else made that pile of sticks leaning against the tree.

It could have been much worse, and I got lucky.

PS Ron, I would never miss my turn in the dark and rain trying to get hunters to their stands   ;)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
About 6 years ago my cousin and I were elk hunting in Colorado . We had hired a local to,take us to,some elk. We had a late night getting out of the mountain that night. The next morning the three of us had drove to 10,000 feet. The plan was to hunt down.
I wasn't,t feeling well and told the two of the, to take off, I'd wait the 2 hours till light and hunt near the truck.
I still wasn't feeling well and as it was just starting to,turn light got out of the truck and moved about 50 yards and stopped in the middle of the road.
I could see the truck but could not figure out which direction to walk to get to it. By trial and error I would start in a direction and,it would be wrong. It took me more than a hour to,actually get back to the truck. I kept falling,asleep and then would stop.breathing and would wake up . Luckily they came back early and decided I had altitude sickness.
After getting down to 5000 feet I started feeling,better.

This was not a local hunt but was scarier than some falls I've had.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©