3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how to quiet excessivly loud recurve  (Read 281 times)

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
how to quiet excessivly loud recurve
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:42:00 AM »
so i own a 72# recurve that i can shoot for about a hundred arrows at a time before feeling it but its crazy loud

its almost like the force of the string coming around the recurve of the limb is making the harsh twang sounds i need to get string silencers on it but any other ideas are welcome
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to quiet excessivly loud recurve
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 04:21:00 AM »
1. Play with the brace height to find the sweet spot
2. Shoot heavier arrows
3. Pad the string ends, with moleskin just below the string grooves    or wrap the string with yarn just below the loops.
4. Put double string silencers on, one at 1/3 string length, the other at 1/4.

This is what I did and it helped a bunch.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 05:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by slivrslingr:
[QB] 1. Play with the brace height to find the sweet spot
2. Shoot heavier arrows
3. Pad the string ends, with moleskin just below the string grooves    or wrap the string with yarn just below the loops.
4. Put double string silencers on, one at 1/3 string length, the other at 1/4.
All these.  

And if its still too loud after that,  a peice of cotton in each ear will work.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »
Sell or trade it for a "Nice n Quiet longbow". Or ear plugs work too !!    :thumbsup:  

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 06:43:00 AM »
I had a loud BW PCH that I was able to remedy the noise by putting on a skinny string.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
I was at Dick Robertson's shop (Robertson Stykbow) a couple of weeks ago and I was messing around shooting several bows with various mismatched arrows. One bow seemed louder than the rest.
Dick said he had just read someplace about having the string silencers placed at different distances from the end of the bow. I and probably most are used to putting our silencers at 1/4 or 1/3 of the string length from the tips.

We set the lower silencer (rubber cat whiskers) at about 1/2 way between the tip and serving and the upper about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way. The noise was extremely reduced by doing this. Tried it on a couple of other bows with the same result.

Worth a shot!
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
I know that when my recurve is shooting arrows that are too light, it barks at me.  My remedy for quieting a bow, once it already has silencers, is to up my arrow weight.  I had a tip failure on a pretty expensive bow once, that was due to shooting arrows that were too light for the bow.  

Generally speaking, sometimes I wonder if a lot of the "noisy" bows these days are loud because we are trying to suck too much speed out of them with borderline too-light arrows.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
a quality string and change in string material and strand count can make a big impact on noise.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
There was a post on here a few weeks ago about putting a 3/4 in diameter fuzz velcro circle just below the string groves. To in but just below closer to the riser. This helped with "string slap" which is the string hitting the limb below the string grove upon release. I tried it and it made a difference on my bow.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
All of the above plus try a dacron string.  

I love recurves but get tired of fussing over them trying to get them longbow quiet.  Seems like most solutions involve some loss of efficiency so ... I have switched to mostly mild r/d longbows and am starting to feel content.  Not suggesting that's for you but it is an option.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline DanDaMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
I will say the Bow Hush product works better than I would have ever imagined.  I really cant believe how good their products work.  I use them on all my recurves now and use their string silencers on everything.  

Dan
Horne Mountain bow 60in 57@29
Horne Combo Hunter Longbow 64in 59@28
Dryad Orion Longbow  60in 60@28
Hoots 54in 48@28

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
A little tuning goes a long way.  Find the "sweet spot" in the brace height--where you get the least noise and vibration.

Install silencers.  I like rubber cat whiskers, tied on AROUND the string so they can be tuned.  Don't leave them too long, as they will make their own noise if you do.  

Move them up or down the string, an inch or less at a time.  You will find that there is a "sweet spot" for silencers as well.  Just like there is no one perfect brace for all bows, there's no one perfect spot to put the silencers.

Be sure your nocks don't fit too tight--that will add noise.

Heavier arrows are quieter.

Properly spined arrows are quieter.

A good, clean release is quieter.

A well made string is usually quieter.

Flemish strings are generally quieter than continuous.

Take notes--when you get everything just right, write it down so you can minimize the time it takes to tune when you need a new string.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
I use a B50 string with Bow Hush and Hush Puppies set at the 1/4 distance and then I put string leeches on at the 3rds, and get my brace height dialed in.  Bow is barely a dull thud.  Oh, and a heavy arrow. I know I am loosing a little speed with the extra stuff on the string and the heavy arrow, but it is a good trade off for me.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
The first thing I would do is make sure I am shooting a plenty heavy arrow, then I would wrap yarn around the entire area the string touches the bow.
James Kerr

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
what is your brace heighth ?
ChuckC

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Buy a gun.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
It may just be a matter of brace height and your big bow begging for a heavy arrow.

I own a Pittsley Predator, and it weighs 73 lbs at my 29 1/2" draw. Predators are very fast bows, and dead in the hand...BUT I have heard complaints about them being noisy.

I use a Delta type bowquiver that is always on my bow, Catwhiskers, padded limb tips, and Bow Hush wool on the string tips...AND a 750 grain arrow. My bow is VERY quiet. (except if my brace height is low)

(I found the String Leeches work better than ANY string silencer I have ever used, BUT, when I try them, the string literally cuts them in half with just a few shots.)

Providing your bow/arrow combo is tuned, the noise is caused from the string leaving your fingers, contact between string and limb tips, and WASTED energy. Harness that energy. Do NOT be afraid of a HEAVY arrow.

Seventy plus pounds and arrows in the 750-850 grain range are a hunters best friends...providing the weight does not affect accuracy.

What brand bow are we talking about?

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 03:38:00 AM »
this is a hoyt/easton RAM reflex at 75#at 28 im trying duel silencers gotta shoot it in a bit to get the yarn fuzzed out a bit
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©