3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trail Cam Tips  (Read 367 times)

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
Trail Cam Tips
« on: August 04, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
I finally broke down and bought one of these and can't wait to get it in the woods. how about those that are old hats at it listing some tips for us newbies.  :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trail Cam Tips
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
make sure you keep the sun to the cameras back. if you put it on a bait pile you will get alot of other critters.
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
If you use it on public land in an area you worried you may lose it, turn the flash off and hide it well.  A friend of mine places his in an old light weight stump. No flash and can't see it unless you look in the hole!  
  Pretty hard to keep the sun to its back morning and night.  Place them facing mostly north or south.  For deer if you know of a community scrape, put it there.  Especially this time of year.  For your buck travel routes, follow the old scrape lines, use the prevalent wind and set up to see what is using them this year.  Put one in those spots you always think would make a good stand site but never really try for one reason or another.  Let the camera do the work.  Good luck!

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
I would face it north.not south. dont worry about the sun at night.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
Don't face it 90 degrees at a trail.  Unless you want to spend close to a grand on one with super fast trigger.  You want it pointing down/up a trail to allow the trigger to activate with the critter still in the veiwfinder.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
good ideas guys, keep them coming. I'll probably set it up tomorrow night after our 3D shoot.

The one I got is a Moultree 4.0 with the 10 sec. video option. do any of you use this feature?
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
my moultrie goes through battery pretty quick. Let me know how long they last on video..AP is right about up or down the trail.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
My Moultrie goes thru batts quick,so I wired it to a $40 6v tractor battery. Lasts looong time now,don't know bout cold weather tho,should be lots better...... was goin thru a battery in less than 2 days last winter!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline rawshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
I get almost a month out of my moultrie but I may not get near the pics ya'll get...
Jamie Johnson

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
Have the 3meg Moultrie... the alkaline batts lasted abot a week...

Went to the rechargable and after 10 days had 89% batt left... but thats not on a bait pile so only about 35 pics...

Gonna throw out somecorn and see if I can get a lil more...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
I'm just starting out myself.Here's a good site for game cams.  http://www.chasingame.com/forum/index.php
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
Leaf shadows and light spots moving in the wind can cause the motion sensor to trigger so be aware of that in areas with thin canopies.  Triggers are usually slow so agree with up or down trail suggestion.  Clear any low branches or weeds that may move with the wind and cause camera to trigger.  There are solar chargers available and rechargeable batteries.  If you are going to check it/move it more frequently buy two chargeable batteries and a plug in charger and two memory cards, swap batteries when you swap cards.  Don't get so addicted to getting pictures that you stink up your best hunting spots from frequent visits.  The buck doesn't know you're just in there to get a picture and you may persuade him to seek shelter elsewhere.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
"Don't get so addicted to getting pictures that you stink up your best hunting spots from frequent visits. The buck doesn't know you're just in there to get a picture and you may persuade him to seek shelter elsewhere."

That may be the best tip yet!!  :readit:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©