3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrow spine for a HH bow  (Read 353 times)

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrow spine for a HH bow
« on: August 04, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
I've got a Wesley Special marked 47#'s @ 28 in.  I'm drawing,maybe 27" and I'm trying to get it tuned up for bow season.
I've got some hickory or ash shafts(not sure which) made up that are spined 50-55#'s.  I noticed that when I glued a 125gr. Ribtek broadhead on it my arrow is hitting 3-4" to the left and 2" high.  These arrows weigh 630 grains with a 125 gr head.  Should I try some 55-60#'s spined arrows?  Thanks in advance.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrow spine for a HH bow
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Oh yeah, these are cut 28" BOP
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Sounds too stiff. One suggestion : send a private message to "aromakr" and you'll end up right on the money.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
Rick,

You say, '3-4" to the left and 2" high' -- compared to what?  And are we talking about at 20 yards?

AAR:  I'd try different points before trying different arrows.  And if you can't see that 145 or 160 grain points move the impact to the right, I'd take a look at nock height.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
No, this is at 10 yards, and compared to a 125 gr. field tip.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
Rick, I have two Hills and shoot 45-50# spine cedars from my 45@28" Wesley Special drawing 28".  Arrows are cut 29 1/2 BOP and heads I have used on them were Wensel Woodsman.  That's a pretty heavy arrow for 44-45# at your draw length.  I think you would find improvement shooting arrows in the 500-550 range at most and that's plenty heavy for anything you would probably hunt with that weight of bow.  You don't want to get carried away on the arrow weight thing--after while you reach a point of diminishing returns.  Arrows impacting left for a right handed shooter indicate too stiff an arrow generally.  I would try dropping down to 45-50 spine and see how they do. As Tilbilly suggested, Aromaker could put you in the right direction--that is Bob Burton of Whispering Wind arrows, and a Hill shooter himself.  Always has good advice.....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I don't know why, but I had it in my head that if the arrow hits left consistently, that it's underspined. Guess I had it backwards. It's "lefty hefty" not "lefty litey" lol
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
I'm not sure about the lighter-weight Hill bows, but on my Wesley Specials, I spine the arrows for five pounds under the draw weight. My Wesley Specials are 75 pounds at 28, and they prefer arrows spined at 70 to 75 pounds.

However, the easiest way to find out what you bow likes is to go to a shoot and pull arrows out of peoples back quivers and shoot them. When you find the ones that fly straight to the mark like darts, ask what the spine is and you have it made.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
i'd look at a 40/45 28" bop....but arrowmaker should be able to help...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
I PM'ed Arromakr, waiting for a reply.  In the mean time I found some 50-55 shafts under my workbench. Cut one 29.5" to BOP, fletched and glued a 125 gr broadhead to it.  Arrow flight improved but not quite there yet. Thanks all.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
Rick...hows your nocking point look....you might want to raise it a tad..and you could also try shooting cock feather in....you might get less shelf interference...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
Nock Point's set a hair over 1/2 " I'll give the cock feather in a try too.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
My Big Five is 48# @28 and I'm drawing around 27". It likes 50-55 the arrows that Craig made for me spine out at 52# they are 5/16 shafts. My other Hill is a bit heavier 47# @27" and i shoot the same arrows try them a little longer.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©