3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Riser Length Question  (Read 125 times)

Offline parshal

• Trad Bowhunter
Riser Length Question
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
I'm guessing there will be a multitude of answers to this with the most popular one being "it depends on you". LOL

I'm planning on ordering a new Tall Tines recurve and have questions about the the riser vs. limb length.  He's got two different riser lengths (I don't recall the actual length as I type this).  I'd like a 62" bow but would easily get a 60".  Brian said he likes to shoot a 62" bow with the longer riser and medium limbs.  I think the longer riser can only go as short as 62" but it could be 60".  He also has a short riser that can make a 58", 60" or 62" bow.  I asked him about the difference between the two with regard to stacking and "smoothness".  I have a 27 - 27.5" draw so I doubt I'll see any difference between either.  He didn't seem to think there was much difference other than the site window.

I have to think about resale, too, since you never know what will happen and when you might have to sell it.  I'm going to try both bows but, if I don't notice a difference, what would you do and why?

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Riser Length Question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
At your draw, 60" is plenty.  Typically a longer limb/shorter riser will be a little smoother, but again, I doubt you'd notice.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
With that grip the bow stands vertical for me so sight window is more critical. The short riser works fine for me. I shoot split , but have a higher anchor. The 60" was smooth to 29" but the 62 is even better. I don't think at under 28 draw you will notice much difference.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
I agree with kbetts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement