3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cold weater boots, help  (Read 347 times)

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
cold weater boots, help
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
guys/gals, I have hunted in cold weather here in illinois for decades and used a wide variety of boots, from Rockies to Muck.  I have read alot about the kennteck and schees.  I was wanting to know who makes a good boot for the money, with a wool liner that is similar to the LL Bean Maine hunting boot, that would keep me comfy in 0 degree weather for stand hunting or slow stalking.  As always you imput is appreciated.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cold weater boots, help
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
I have a pair of Kennetreks that are good in the cold, but when it gets really nippy, I'm gonna be in Muck boots. Toasty toes at 10 below with Mucks.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
I assume your sitting for long periods of time?

If very cold, don't bother with the lined LL Bean boot.

I used to own a sporting goods store in northern Michigan and sold pac boots. I hate to say it because I didn't sell them, but Cabelas makes the best pac boot I and all my Michigan buddies have ever owned. The reviews say it all...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Hunting-Boots/Mens-Pac-Winter-Boots%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104826780/i/103959180/Cabelas-Predator8482-Extreme-Pac -Boots-150-Brown/722130.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffootwear-mens-footwear-mens-hunting-boots-mens-pac-winter-boots%2F_%2FN-1106123%2FNo-0%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMM%26WTz_st%3 DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D48&WTz_l=SBC%3BMM%3Bcat103959180#BVRRWidgetID

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
I might not know much but what I do know is Steger Mukluks work. I have the artic extrems.

I like them so much that Im gonna order another pair (camuks), which are there more water resistant pair. I can wear not just for the dry snow.

There amazing, I had a pair last year, its like wearing your slippers on stand.

My first pair are two sizes big and wide for a thick wool sock. The camuks will be a one size bigger for a med to light wool sock.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
I used to wear heavy pack boots.  They worked fine.  However, have been wearing Muck Woody Max boots the last several years.  They've kept my feet nice and toasty on all day sits in northern Wisconsin in November.  Probably a little too warm for a lot of walking, but fine for still hunting. And, you have a waterproof boot as well.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
Muck boots are comfy, but my favorite is still the old "Micky mouse" boots.  I absolutely love these surplus military boots,  I have been wearing them for all my late season stand hunting for 20 years and will continue to for the next 20.
   They obviously don't have a wool liner but I still think they are tops.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
When I hunt our coldest weather of the year, I've got on my Danner Pronhorns and they are covered with the Arctic Shielf boot covers.  Never gotten cold like that.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Barry Rowland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
If you are going to be stationary, Mickey Mouse boots are the greatest as far as warmth is concerned.  Movement is another issue tho....
Barry

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
I have always had very cold feet.
They sweat a lot and get cold.
I can have cold feet when it's 60˚ out and I'm sitting in my house.

I think one the very most important things in a cold weather boot is fit.

They can NOT be tight.
You want them almost loose on your foot.
Otherwise you are restricting blood flow.

Anyway, I bought a pair of Mickey boots, you know the military surp with the valve on the side.

Got them extra wide.

And I just wear a pair of extra heavyweight smart wool over the calf socks.

My feet just don't get cold anymore.
I've been out in neg temps and my feet are fine.

I've tried about $1200 worth of boots and socks trying to find a combo that worked.

Good things about these boots other than warmth are they go on and off very easy since there isn't a lining. also, they don't accumulate sweat and get smelly since it's just rubber inside.

Cons are they are heavy, you want to wear high socks because the rubber will pull out the hair on your legs at the top of the boot.
Also, the valve can be a pain..literally..
If you sit on the ground and rest your ankle sideways the valve digs into the ground and hurts your ankle.

I found you can cut out that valve really easily by just cutting around it on the outer layer only.

After that a just cleaned the rubber and filled the hole with some silicone caulk.

It's been working great for 3 seasons now....the boots themselves have been working for 6 years.

I know it sounds like a pita but I sure don't see myself wearing another combo..it just works too well.

Good luck
Cold feet suck.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
thanks guys, and yes I should of stated am familiar with cold weather wear, and do layer my socks and all.  I used the "Mickey Mouse boots in the corps in cold weather training was good, but figure we come a little further.  The Mucks are nice, but with my knee surgery cann't use them.  I has a pair of Rocky's long time agao 1200 grams thinsulation that was awesome, matter of fact wore those boots out.  Will continue research, liked what Mojostick said.  Thanks to all for replies.

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Sorels
...Mark

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Decent boots with slip on boot covers and hot hands inside! trust me, just tried it last year. works awesome. no heavy boots and the over boots pack up nice. you will not get cold feet.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
A very good friend of mine had polio when a child and as a result was very susceptible to cold.  Over the years he spent a fortune on boots in a never ending search for a pair that would keep his feet warm, but to no avail.  Finally, the only thing that worked for him was a pair of those heated battery powered socks.  They worked like a charm.  That was years ago and with technology now, I suspect there are improvements such as those chemical packs that you insert into the boot.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
Sorel expeditions, make sure you get the double wool liners and you will never get cold feet again.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
If on stand, boot blankets and hand warmers will make your feet sweat.  I like to wear some nice light hikers so not to sweat, then the boot blankets, then if its really cold the hand wamers.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
I don't remember the warmest boots I ever had but they started with wool tobogans and down vests.  Keep your head and chest really warm and the old body can afford to send a little warm blood down to the little piggies.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
These are not made for walking but work great while on stand.  Get a pair of Ice King liners 2 sizes bigger than your feet and put them inside a pair of Artic Shield Boot Covers.  If it is going to be above 20, I do not put hot packs in but if it is going to be colder, I throw a hot pack in each one.  I have used this for 3 years and my feet have been warm every time using them.  Without them, my feet freeze.  I just wear regular boots in and change them when I get to the stand.

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
i walked for a living in colorado for 22 years.

spent about half those winters wallowing around in sorels.

anyone who recommends sorels has not worn schnee's.

it is just that simple.

joe

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Yep, no more bulky boots in cold weather for me.  My uninsulated Maine hunting boots and Arctic Shield covers (weigh next to nothing) for me.  Hand warmers only in extreme cases.  It really works great!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
Sorel Glaciers
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©