3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elevated rest on longbow  (Read 440 times)

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
Elevated rest on longbow
« on: July 13, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
I recently picked up a nice Bamboo Viper from a TG member and have been struggling like crazy to get it tuned for shooting off the shelf. I simply could not get the nock high out of the bow. This could be due to my lack of knowledge on tuning, but I never had a problem with my recurves at all. I was staring to get so aggrivated with it that I was just going to put it up and hunt with my Browning Nomad Stalker. Then the idea hit me to put an elevated rest on it. I called Sam Koger about some strings and ran the idea by him and he said go for it, along with some form suggestions. I had one a friend made for me out of vinyl siding  and I stuck it on the bow. I was amazed after one shot. It shot like a lazer beam out of the bow. One simple addition took a bow that was causing me pure misery, to a smile I couldn't wipe from my face.

How many of you have used an elevated rest on a longbow? I know I'll not be without one on mine from now on. If you are struggling with going from a recurve to a longbow like I was, this may be your ticket.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elevated rest on longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
Attaboy Jeff, never surrender, never give up!!
samuel koger

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
Whatever works.  I'm guessing you had your nock set too low. Then, the arrow hits the shelf as it leaves the bow, kicking the back of the arrow up.  No doubt that an elevated rest gives more clearance.

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Jeff, glad that you"ve got it sorted out. Your bow, shoot it anyway you like. I have elavated rests on most of my recurves, gives me a lot better arrow flight.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
Jeff... I had the same problem tuning. I found that pressure from my index finger (shooting split) caused most if not all of the issue.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline JJ1956

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
I use one on my A@H made a big difference for me

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
I had the same problem, and worked meticulously for a year, convinced that it was my form.  I've shot recurves and compounds -- all with finger release -- for 25-30 years, and had a lot of coaching in my younger years.  While I am nowhere near perfect, I am confident that I am not doing anything bizarre in my release.  

I found a way to put pressure on the string, and pull my elbow a certain way, that stopped the arrow from striking the riser, but it was not at all comfortable to shoot that way.

So, I decided to do what a lot of great bowhunters have done... I worked up a small elevated rest for my longbow.  Instantly, I got lazer flight.  I don't care what the "trad" culture says... I want my arrows to do what I want them to do when they leave my longbow, so I now shoot this on my bow full-time:

I should add that, prior to putting the rest on the bow, I had trouble getting any broadheads to fly straight except for vented Wensel Woodsmans.  Now my others, Zwickeys, Magnus, Bodkins, 2- and 3- blades fly just fine.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
Been toying with the idea of putting one one my new longbow.  I'm getting some screwy arrow flight out of it too.

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
There is no group of people more set in their ways than trad bow shooters. There are a lot, I'm not saying all, but a lot of trade shooters that have never seen perfect arrow flight when shooting off the shelf. They would be amazed at how a elevated rest would improve their shooting.

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archie:
I had the same problem, and worked meticulously for a year, convinced that it was my form.  I've shot recurves and compounds -- all with finger release -- for 25-30 years, and had a lot of coaching in my younger years.  While I am nowhere near perfect, I am confident that I am not doing anything bizarre in my release.  

I found a way to put pressure on the string, and pull my elbow a certain way, that stopped the arrow from striking the riser, but it was not at all comfortable to shoot that way.

So, I decided to do what a lot of great bowhunters have done... I worked up a small elevated rest for my longbow.  Instantly, I got lazer flight.  I don't care what the "trad" culture says... I want my arrows to do what I want them to do when they leave my longbow, so I now shoot this on my bow full-time:

I should add that, prior to putting the rest on the bow, I had trouble getting any broadheads to fly straight except for vented Wensel Woodsmans.  Now my others, Zwickeys, Magnus, Bodkins, 2- and 3- blades fly just fine.
looks just like mine, except I got mole skin on mine.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I've shot an elevated rest on a long bow and it shot super. Go for it!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Ive never done it, but if it works for you, go for it! Theres no shame in making a bow shoot more effectively and accurate for you. That little rest may be the difference between a clean kill, a long drawn out search or not finding your animal at all.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
Shoot what work for you, I use a feather rest on all my bows.

doug77

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
cool.  i'm just back into trad, after 30+ years off.

i love my longbows, but my hoyt rest on my howatt hunter was a lot easier to deal with, as i recall.

i'm going to try 1.

joe

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
its made world of difference in my bow. glad to hear I am not the only one doing it!

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 04:02:00 AM »
On a recurve that my wife shot several deer with that I recently gave to a kid, the only way I could get arrows to fly well was with a feather rest and boy did they fly.  I was about ready to retiller that bow, but I thought I would just try it, pure magic.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Elevated rests Rule  :)

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
I too just slapped rests on 2 of my recurves and am very impressed with the ease of tuning. I know this is a longbow question but the same general rules of mechanics and clearance.

I had the same issues with trying to get rid of "nock high" flight...regardless of how high I nocked the arrow. Don't get me wrong, the flight was really good pre-rest tuning...but fine tuned it with an elevated rest.

Not sure if it's just me or not, but the bow seems even quieter as well?.....Ryan

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
so what is the elevated rest of choice?

joe

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
I'm using a Bear Weather-rest. They're almost free and work well. Keep a spare in the pack and all is good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©