3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What did you learn last year?  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you learn last year?
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
I've learned to Thank God for all game I harvest. I also learned if I don't get out of Pennsylvania to hunt I won't be doing that very much!!!!!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
to shoot smaller feathers
Make a life, not a living

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
That I love bow hunting and absolutely hate the rifle season here in Kentucky. It signals the end of the good bowhunting.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
1.  Just how important confidence in your abilities is.
2.  Saving a new area until rifle season starts can be a huge mistake.
3.  How important it is to work on number 1.

Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
That the last 40 years weren't the one ,this year maybe the one! Sooner or later has to be the one.   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
1)We had a TOTAL acorn crop failure last year, never seen anything like it in the past 20 years. Hunted some of the normal spots we hunt and have killed deer in the past for the first few weeks like a moron.... Finally decided if we were to even see a deer we best find something green and quick.

Spent two days scouting and found powerline crossings and honesuckly thickets. Wound up with 5 deer just could not get them stickbow close. The lesson though was ya gotta move sometimes, deer are slaves to their stomachs.

2) The Cabelas Recon Hunt app is awesome and then some.... thanks Uncle RobTattoo !

3) Net seat for my Summit Viper is sweeeeet !

4)KME knife sharpener is the best tool ever devised on this planet. Gutted all 5 deer with a KME sharpened Buck 110 folder and it will still shave after wahing off the blood a quick strop on leather.

5)The Wensel's little flashlight is very cool !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
While ground hunting, I learned it's one thing to find a great spot to hunker down unseen.  It's another to find that spot that will let you hunker down AND draw your bow!  Couple times I got myself squirreled away real good, only to realize at the moment of truth that I had no way to draw without first moving my body around way too much.  Result:  Busted or watched them walk.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
1-  if your going to hunt in Vermont pateince is very important.

2- Make sure you put your video camera in a spot where it doesnt get in the way( luckily learned this on a practice shot)

3- if your going to use a video camera, try to have pre drill the hole for it prior to winter time before the trees start to freeze and you can't see because it's still dark making it nearly impossible to set it up.

4- dont get carried away testing if a broadhead is sharp by shaving leg hair.

5- the thing that holds your arrow on the shelf is very important to remember to attach to the arrow so it doesnt fall off in the wind

Just a couple of the things I learned, Schafer   :biglaugh:
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Double post, my bad

Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
I learned to use traditional archery tackle and appreciate ground blinds and blow downs.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
My main thing was--when I think its time to leave the blind or stand give it another 15 minutes or so.  Missed a couple of shot opportunities by leaving early and getting busted...patience!

Eric

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
1) I learned that if you are going on a DIY back country elk hunt in mountainous terrain (we were hunting and camped at at 11,200'), make sure you make arrangements with a packer to come in and pack out the elk on horseback. I have packed out elk before but we did it along the Missouri Breaks in Montana (gently rolling hills). If you are in big mountains, 10 miles on a map is like 25 miles in the Missouri Breaks. We came close to scoring but didn't score. We hunted to the last minute. After hiking out from the back country we realized it would have taken us between 3 and 4 days to get one elk out. We were glad we didn't score near the end of the hunt. We also learned that if you go on a hunt like this and there are two of you, if you don't have a packer you are only hunting one elk. Once someone scores the hunt is over. If you have a packer you both can hunt the whole trip.

2) I learned that when back country elk hunting, 99.999% of the bugles you hear are elk and not other hunters.

3) At first we didn't want to bugle and only cow called, thinking that the elk would be bugle shy. We found that they must not be bugled at much because thy responded to every bugle. I also pulled in bulls from a long distance with a cow call. I drew a monster to me from his cows with a cow call to within 20 yards but couldn't get a clear shot. Two satellite bulls pulled him back to the cows before I could get a clear shot. We found every time we bugled we got an answer and wound up having one person bugle while the hunter went to the bull.  

4) I also learned where to find the elk in the back country.

5) I also learned that at 58 I can still do anything I put my mind to and will continue to live like I can, until I bite the big one. I am going to do a DIY elk hunt every year. This year I am going back with partner, next year I will going alone.

6) I learned I belong out there. We stayed for 11 days and if I had enough food I could have stayed out there 30 days.  

7) I learned that trying to make your pack light you can leave things that you should bring even if it does add weight. The difference between 70# and 80# isn't noticeable, because both kill you anyway.

8) I learned I would rather leave my bow behind than my two walking sticks. They saved the trip for me.

9) I learned Tyvek is better than any light weight tarp and a necessary piece of equipment. It also saved the trip for us.

10) I learned that pump water purifiers are no lighter than the camp purifiers, harder to use, take forever to get water and have to be cleaned many times to get any kind of results. I will be selling my pump water purifier. Both my hunting partner and I will be carrying the Platypus GravityWorks Water Filter. We had one last year and the pump. This year we will have two.

A lesson I have to learn is how to deal with the lightning storms when in alpine country. I still haven't figured that one out yet. That is some scary stuff right there.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
You really do hit what you are looking at.  When the animal is getting near where you are going to shoot it, only look at your spot and it just happens.  In other words, if you practice correctly and trust it, you generally eat real well.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
1.) Swallow your pride and get a shooting DVD or coach.
2.) Like Gene and Barry say old bucks are smart...VERY smart.

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Around here the new thing for the modern guys is virtually chain link an area with tree stands.  They think they are the equivalent to no trespassing signs, the best places for mature bucks is places that they cannot put up their tree stands.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
Wait to follow up a deer no matter what and then approach slowly.  
I spined a doe, put a second arrow in her just to make sure. She flopped down over a little knoll where I could not see her. I only waited about 15 minutes (if that), I wanted to get her gutted and to the house since it was really warm. Walked over to the knoll, yep, she gets up and hauls butt. I backed out (little to late) came back in 2 hours, tracked for ever and never did find her. She went 300 yds with out bedding down again.

Four arrow quivers are not enough

Urban deer don't pay attention to perfume but they sure get skiddish around tinks 69

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Wait to follow up a deer no matter what and then approach slowly.  
I spined a doe, put a second arrow in her just to make sure. She flopped down over a little knoll where I could not see her. I only waited about 15 minutes (if that), I wanted to get her gutted and to the house since it was really warm. Walked over to the knoll, yep, she gets up and hauls butt. I backed out (little to late) came back in 2 hours, tracked for ever and never did find her. She went 300 yds with out bedding down again.

Four arrow quivers are not enough

Urban deer don't pay attention to perfume but they sure get skiddish around tinks 69

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
1- that a selfbow for turkeys at 15 yards is harder than with a recurve at 25yards

2- that dragging out and loading a 160# buck now at 48years old is harder than a 200# when I was 28  :)

3- no matter how much deer meat you have....if you start giving it away to family soon you wont have any and will need to visit them to see how it tastes

4- I want to kiss the person that invented the Thermacell for our early season here in Lowcountry (15 April)

5- You can still buy Ribtek broadheads direct from Australia and if you buy quite a few of them with shipping is still cheaper than buying them when sold in USA by our favorite shops.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
What NoCams said!!  Exactly!!

And DO NOT save areas where good bucks are hanging out on public land!  They won't be there when "the time is right"!!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
1. Big bucks aren't stupid enough for me to get close to them.

2. wild hogs taste way better than they look

3. explosives set off in your hunting area isn't coducive to seeing game.

4.  7 year old boys have a real hard time sitting still in the woods. Especially after a 32 oz. root beer and smores.

5.  Don't trust any goose hunter that says it's "just a short walk", "we'll just carry a few decoys," and "it's supposed to stop raining in the morning."

6.  Goose hunting sucks.  See #5.

7.  Wet old men may actually smell worse than wet dogs, especially in a truck with the windows up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©