3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: retirement : moving to Tenn. or Kentucky who's bow seasons better  (Read 306 times)

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
I'll getting out of the NJ rat  :knothead:   race and would like to relocate to Tenn. or Kentucky -eastern parts .  :help:   bow hunting season and traditional   :archer:  archery clubs?
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: retirement : moving to Tenn. or Kentucky who's bow seasons better
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
I dont have any idea but congratulations!
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
I'm highly biased and have never hunted in TN but...

KY's one-buck/season rule since 1991 has produced a very high quality deer herd. The chances of seeing and killing PY and BC class bucks is higher in KY than any other state per mile of deer habitat.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
I'm highly biased and have never hunted in TN but...

KY's one-buck/season rule since 1991 has produced a very high quality deer herd. The chances of seeing and killing PY and BC class bucks is higher in KY than any other state per mile of deer habitat.
X2
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
I'm in eastern Kentucky, about 45 minutes from the Cumberland Gap. It beautiful here, but there is lots of beautiful country in Ky. It depends on if you want moutains or you want rolling hills or flat land. Eastern for mountains central and western Ky for the flatter parts.

Tennessee is an awesome state other that their stinking ball teams! Thats where nearly all my ancestors came from, with a few from NC and Va. Would love top have some property in Northeastern Tn.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
From what I have seen and heard I think Kentucky's overall game managment, licensing, and regulations would suit me better.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
I moved here to western Kentucky from Maine two years ago.

Bow seasons for turkey and deer are so long you won't use all of it. It has been a danger for me that the urgency goes out of hunting because if I decide not to hunt today, there's always tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow and...

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Have you considered Ohio?  I love Kentucky but have found finding places to hunt with good game populations has been difficult.  If you have the means to buy land Kentucky has a ton of potential in the Eastern parts.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
Screw Kentucky go to the real mountains Son. Colorado or Montana! You are thinking way too small.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Out of the 2, Kentucky gets my vote for archery deer
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
As far as I know Kentucky doesn't have hogs. Tennessee does as far as I know. Maybe look at which has more species available to hunt. I'm with kentuckyT3 tho. Go west!! In any mountain state you can get multiple tags for each species, elk, deer, antelope, bear, turkeys. Personally Montana gets my vote! Beautiful country! Big mulies and surprisingly big white tails! Tons of turkeys, elk, I could go on all day but you get the point
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Look at the tri-state area of TN,KY,VA that way you can hunt all three states.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Question from a Idaho Ridge Runner,

What percentage of these two states are public land?

I like them both, but hunting on "owned" land takes away the fun.

So, of both states-----which has the most public land where a guy can string a bow and disappear?

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
This is an interesting thread. Keep it going. I hope to make some retirement decisions based on hunting also.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
Eastern TN is very mountainous and rugged with, for the most part, low deer numbers. Bear are growing in numbers, but thats mostly dog hunting involved. That being said, there are millions of acres to hunt in Cherokee national forest which is public land, there are tons of bear and hogs there, but few deer.. Tn bow season runs from late sept to first week of Jan. West Tn is flat with tons of agriculture and has a very dense deer pop. with some bruisers killed every year. West TN is where i would go if you like only deer, but the downside is land access since it is mostly private leased land due to the quality of deer.

Dont know much about KY other than the best trophy oppurtunity seems to be in the western part. One of the best places in the USA for trophy buks and I believe they have a very long bow season built around growing older class bucks with a one buck limit. I do hear they have a liberal doe limit though.

The western part of either state would suit me perfectly and the people are great!

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
Oh and if you're lucky you can draw for elk in kentucky. Id guess the odds arent that great though.

Good luck.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 03:00:00 AM »
I think Robert's description could just as well be Kentucky.  Eastern half has lots of land to hunt but limited deer numbers, western half has good deer numbers and limited public land.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Eastern Tenn. and Ky deer numbers are low, North/central has great deer numbers, and western KY all have great deer numbers. I believe there is lots more public land to hunt here in KY. I live in Monticello, near Lake Cumberland, and all the Corp of Engineers property is open to the public. Since they have the lake lowered the last few years, much more habitat, and easy access from a boat. In my county, as in many others statewide, we had a blue tongue kill off 4 years ago, estimated at  40% of the herd. The herd is rebounding back better than ever, as only the hardies survived. A lot of P&Y and B&C dead deer were found in my county alone, near water sources. KY's deer progam is working, last year in my county, we had 719 deer harvested and checked, and probably another 150 ran over in the road. There is also a lot of private land, if you are willing to do the work, get with landowners and help them in some ways. I varmint hunt with a rifle on about 70 farms, keep groundhogs and coyotes thinned down, and after folks see you are a responsible and safe hunter, in a few months or a couple of years, nearly all have opened their property up for deer hunting and gave me cart blanche to do as I please. That said, you must continue to show respect for the landowner even more, and they seem to really appreciate you stopping and taling to them. I have some really good deer where I am hunitng on my and neighbors propertey, and some lousy genes also. The wife and I alternate taking some scrappy bucks out of the herd, and the last 15 years I have seen drastic improvements, seeing several P&Y class bucks and being lucky enough to take 2 of them.
samuel koger

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
NC has very generous deer seasons and bag limits. Cost of living is quite low compared to the national level. Lots of game lands throughout. The central and eastern regions have the most to offer, except it hot up until about November. I have hunted deer in Dec with sweat dripping off my forehead and have hunted in snow in November. We have mountains, Piedmont rolling hills, and a coastal plain. Hogs are coming in better in southern NC. And SC is not too far away for some excellent hog hunting.

If you're open to more options, then NC is not a bad place. Lots of family recreation as well.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
If you are interested in quality deer in higher numbers, Kentucky is by far the best state for that.  

I was born and reared in Tennessee and am a graduate of Vanderbilt University.  I confess though that I am a Volunteer fan and like most other schools, their sports programs cycle up and down.  GO VOLS!

Even though I am a Tennessean by birth and love my state, Kentucky is a much better place to hunt quality deer.

Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©