3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Did I ruin this classic bow POLL ?  (Read 547 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Did I ruin this classic bow POLL ?
« on: July 14, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
I have this 1957 Bear Grizzly that I couldn't figure out what to do with. It had some hazing and some stress lines in it but everything else was good on her. No twist in the limbs, handle and tips were good. The limbs appeared to be structurally solid after I did a little supergluing and light sanding. Well, I decided to some artwork on it. I added some artificial sinew and tite bond glue in the areas of the limbs with the light stress lines. Painted her up.Added a buckskin handle wrap and glass crow beads.Painted a bear claw on it for onvious reasons. The bow has great specs for hunting. 62" and 55#. My question is do you think I ruined the bow by doing this? Here are some before and after pics.

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Did I ruin this classic bow POLL ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Finished bow:

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
what was your process that you put the bow through.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Do you like it?  
That's all that matters.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Your bow...your decision.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
First of all....are you happy with how it came out? If so, there is no reason to discuss this any further. The only one you have to please is yourself.   :thumbsup:   I think it looks kind'a neat, and wouldn't be great to kill something this fall with it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
You ask if you ruined the bow. Well, do you like it? Does the bow shoot worse than it did before you made the mods? Did you buy the bow with the intention of reselling solely for profit? If the last answer is no and you like the bow then what are you worried about? it's your beauty and you should go out and shoot it a bunch. Take it to the woods and make some meat with it. Enjoy it.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Sand it to put a fine scratch in it. Hit with some rustoleum sparay primer. Best I could find without getting crazy. Then everything else is done in acrylic. I then stell wooled it lightly to give it a little age and a little scratch and then sprayed it with satin spar urethane. Most of the paint work was done with very fine brushhes. I figure the bow is 55 years old. If I can extend it's life great. If not so be it. I see no reason why this bow won't last a good bit longer. The limbs and perfectly straight and the tips are perfect.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
I like it,you did a really nice job.  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I like it. Could see myself hunting with it this year. No poll will change that. I'm kinda curious as to how people feel about doing this to an old Bear bow.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks Grinch!

I know what I think of it. I'm curious as to others opinion of what I did to it. Maybe I should add the answer "don't care one way or t'other" to the poll.

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
It's YOUR bow, bear made it but it's YOURS,and now it looks like yours,well done.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
As a collectible, you have decreased its value quite a bit, but as the hunting bow it was made to be you have only added some of your own medicine and personalized it to you.  I don't think I would call that ruined.  Besides, its nothing Bowdoc or Rich can't fix.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Hi Brian.  That bow looks great!  Very nice work and very unique.  You definitley have a one-of-a-kind old Bear.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Cool thing about old Bears is you can always strip every thing back off and refinish it as original.
Looks kinda cool like that.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Looks cool! I think you did a great job!
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Looks Great!  To personalize it as you did will make it that much more special when you make meat.  As others have said, it's your bow, and only you can judge the pros and cons of customizing.  I say well done!
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
I think it's cool. It wasn't like you took a really nice/minty Grizzly and defiled it. It was a Grizzly in kinda beat up shape.
I have a '55 Grizzly that's in super shape that one would never consider screwing with. But one that's beat up with lots of stress lines? Sure, why not?
Believe it or not, some people actually put snake skins on bows! Oh, the horror! LOL    :biglaugh:      :laughing:

Offline stickum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
Lets be honest,  it looked terrible before you started, not something that in my opinion had much if any collectors value to it.  Now it looks amazing, and you will enjoy shooting it, so you have given an old bow new life. Be proud of your fine work.  You are talented.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 06:45:00 AM »
Thanks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©