3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Did I ruin this classic bow POLL ?  (Read 548 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Did I ruin this classic bow POLL ?
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »
Thought about putting snakeskins on it but that wasn't creative enough. Sometimes there is simply too much traditional in trad.

This bow was painted in the traditiional colors of the native american medicine wheel. The circles signify Wakan Tanka,"the great source" from which everything comes and the yellow represents the 4 directions. The bow may be more traditional than it ever was. Let's face it, the bow was a chunk of maple sandwiched between 2 pieces of black fiberglass.  :rolleyes:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
you personalized your bow, nothing wrong with that. Not every bow is a "collector" either! some are just meant to hunt.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
You made it "YOUR BOW". Good job and cool!

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
So far 20 out of 28 feel I ruined it and not 1 negative comment. I guess it is a case of "if you don't have something good to say..."  :laughing:  I know some of you are hating this bow. Its okay I can take it. I have been artistic as long as I have been alive. If somebody didn't like my work, then I'm not very artistic, at least in my mind. I would be doing things for others and not myself. Restoring it would have been BORING as hell. Would have looked like all the rest.  :nono:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
Collectibility is in the eye of the beholder. While some who classify themselves as Bear collectors might not want it...no big deal, older Grizzlies or ANY for that matter wont fund your retirement.
That being said, there are others who collect archery history AND artwork, where you may get someone who would pay MORE than a collector would.
You just never know.
In my opinion, is it ruined? Seriously? Far from it, it shoots and looks fantastic. You put a lot of thought and reasoning behind what you did. If it were my bow, I'd keep it in the family to pass down.
I love it.
David M. Conroy

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Thank you Mr. Conroy. The bow being shelved for lefty and righty makes it the perfect bow to pass down. I also have 3 sons ages12,15 and 19. We now have a bow for any friends to try trad!

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Looks nice. Well done.
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
i like it too

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
Its your bow and as long as you like it then who really cares what we think?  BTW, I like it...its a creative way of building something to show people.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
I like it

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
I think you gave it a second chance with the sinew ...It looks like it was ready to have some major refinishing to it so it could be hunted with without any worry's of delamination and you repaired it so it could have some more memories added to it's life...Just because it wasn't done by any well known refinisher's to it's original birthdate doesn't mean it has to...You did the job yourself and saved a few $$ and if it shoots well and you are pleased then that is all that matters...  :thumbsup:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Brian,

That bow was destined to be ruined the day it was built.  I think you best, better get to ruining it   ;)    :thumbsup:    

Looks great!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
i have seen plenty of stock old bows that have been ruined by people by leaving them in the car, throwing them in the corner of the garage, putting them in the attic,general abuse, etc. You put time, effort, sweat, and care into that bow. ...not the ingredients of "ruining" something.   it's a "one of a kind" now

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
If you're concerned, why not just get another Grizzly in rough condition with lots of stress lines and no leather grip? You can probably find one for around $40. That way, you have one of each.   ;)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
mojostick, I'd have to paint that one too!  :knothead:

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
mojostick, I'd have to paint that one too!  :knothead:

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
i think it is kinda cool.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
You did good brother. All I could have done is strip it down and make it look new. I don't have the artistic talent to pull that off. I tip my hat to you brother. I don't own collector items. Heck I just gave away 16 sets of antlers to a guy who does art because all they did is collect dust on my wall and in my garage. Put it to use and get it bloody!!!!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Grizzbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Looks better than most bows ecspecialy the ones people dont want to scratch with a non trad price tag.$$$$. More trad then it ever was before.

Offline Grizzbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Dam nice!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©