3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pine pitch anyone?  (Read 154 times)

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
Pine pitch anyone?
« on: July 15, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Stumbled upon a youtube video of a guy making pine pitch from, of course, pine pitch or sap, horse manure ground up, and charcoal or burnt wood. Said it hold well and is the original "hot melt" glue. Just wondering if anyone has tried it or uses it? if so, whats your recipe? how well would it hold on glue-on broadheads?
Here's the video link:  
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pine pitch anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
I personally would not trust it for glue on tapered points.
It is good for putting over sinew etc.
I bought some from Mike Yancey. I'll use it on very primitive arrows other wise I'll use the modern glues.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
holds up really good.These are mounted with pine pitch.

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
I haft all stone points and trade points with pine pitch glue. This glue is basically a "bedding" material for the head. Sinew wrap is what really holds and secures the head to the shaft.
  I make my pitch glue with hard, brittle pine pitch(important to use hard, brittle pitch or the glue will not harden up). I then add some bees wax to make the pitch less brittle and finely ground charcoal to add body(a filler). You can use any natural oil, wax or grease(bear, deer, bacon, veg oil, etc) grease to make the pitch less brittle and saw dust, dried horse, cow, deer or rabbit manure to add body(plant fibers). You only need one of each additives to make good pitch glue.
  Even though I don't measure the ingredients my mix ratio is about 2 to 3 parts pitch and one part each of bees wax and filler(finely ground charcoal). Different fillers will make the pitch glue different colors. Charcoal makes it black, sawdust makes it tan or yellow, etc.
  One of the benefits of using pitch glue is that if the head becomes loose or misalligned a light heating of the head will reset the glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©