3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feathers  (Read 294 times)

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
Feathers
« on: July 15, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
I'm going to be fletching up some new arrows and have a variety to choose from. I have plenty of 5" and 4", depending if I want 3 or 4 fletch.

Out of curiosity, I am thinking of trying the 2" razr feathers. Has anyone fletched their arrows using these, if so how do you like them and what are the results of arrow flight?
Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feathers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
2" is awful short for trad gear. Short feathers work with wheelies if you also use a release aid, but generally don't give you good flight out of a recurve/longbow.  Especially with broadheads.  The only way I'd try the 2" is if you lined 2 or 3 of them up back to back.

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
I have some carbons for one of my string guns (compounds) that have 2.5" feathers on it.  They shot all right out of my Groves recurve with field points, but wouldn't shoot them with broadheads.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Curiosity hit me as I was strolling through basspro.
Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
too short
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
I have not tried short feathers.  I have tried the short vanes exstensively out of my Mathews.  I found them inferior.  They were noisier and less forgiving.  I truly believe they are a huge marketing tool to make money.  Out of my Mathews I was the only one who stuck with the longer vanes.  I truly wanted the short ones to work.  They just picked up form issues too easily.  My very best and very worst shots were with short "Blazer" vanes.  With my normal 4" vanes all my shots were very good.  If you want to try short feathers I wish you well.  I doubt they will make the difference you are looking for, but they might.  You never know until you try.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©