3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Please Help  (Read 380 times)

Offline BBrakke

• Trad Bowhunter
Please Help
« on: July 15, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
Hi everyone. I am very new to the world of traditional archery and actually just got back into shooting bows again. I, just like everyone else, am trying to find the fastest and smoothest bow there is for around $650. Ive been looking at Abbott, Great Plains, Liberty, and Howard Hill Archery and was trying to decide between bamboo and yew as well for the limbs. I would really appreciate any input or suggestions.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please Help
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
Trying before you buy is priceless. If I could start all over again I would go to a big Trad event and shoot every bow in the place. Then I would try to find my favorite on the classifieds and shoot it awhile to make sure.

A hundred other people telling you what to buy doesn't make that bow fit any better.

Welcome to the gang!

Good luck and have fun finding the one.

Rob   :wavey:
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline BBrakke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
Thanks! Do you have any idea of any trad events where I could shoot some in Southern California? Ive been to a lot of the local archery shops and non of them let people try the bows before you buy them.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Just getting started in traditional archery is an adventure in itself... Finding the "right bow" will come in time, after you learn how to shoot a trad bow the right way... I think before you spend $650 on a bow you should shoot a lot of different stuff... Maybe buy a light-draw starter bow, just to learn the basics... Sell it later on Trad Gang... Then buy that custom jobbie!

Enjoy The Ride! I Did... And am having more fun buyin' used bows, at half price, and still on the learning curve for almost ten years!

... mike ...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
Rob W has it right, and I just did a quick search for CA events.
Evidently you Californornians are a tight-lipped bunch! But I know there are TG members out there who will chime in. Try Googling archery clubs in CA. Most shooters will be compounders, but each club will likely have a few of us in the fold.

Keep plugging away at it, and keep asking questions. We are here to help.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
I just did a Google search of "traditional archery southern California" and got all sorts of promising hits.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline BBrakke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 03:55:00 AM »
Thank you! I also googled trad archery in Cali, and I found a lot of results but not really any that were available for anyone to go and try different types of bows.

Does anybody know if bamboo or yew makes a faster/smoother bow that will keep its strength the longest? I'm really trying to find information on that, and any suggestions on bow makers.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
Buy and try from the classifieds here until you find the right bow. Them either keep the one that fits you or have one made to your exact specs. I probabaly went through more than 20 before I picked one. I learned a lot about bows doing it that way.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 05:54:00 AM »
I think you should check out a Kanati. I don't even own one (used to), but its exactly what you describe and under $650. You can get one used for around $350.If you don't like it, people snatch em up when they go up for sale usually.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 05:56:00 AM »
Shoot a PM to Grey Taylor (a sponsor here), he's in your neck of the woods I think and should be able to direct you to some local events and info.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Pretty much everyting is a compromise and fastest and smoothest are often on opposite ends of the spectrum.  Some bows are better at blending the two, but you will have to find the balance that works best for you.

If speed is important to you, a recurve or hybrid would be a good place to start.  Most of what you listed are longbows, so probably the hybrid or a good deflex/reflex.  A 62" length seems to work best for me in these styles.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
How long or what is your draw length? This is asked for your question regarding limb wood for Howard Hill bows. I have a 32" draw and had to sell a Howard Hill 70" Redman which had Yew limbs do to a degenerating body and after 30" started stacking and hit the wall. The 66" Wesley having Bamboo draws to 32" smooth, shoots quick and has put many venison meals on the table although with my degeneration can not continually pull her back anymore.
All depending on the make of the bow this is a factor to give thought to also on your considerations. The folks posting above make a clear point if you can shoot any bow before to see if it is what you like is definitely a plan. Good luck and enjoy your journey.
...Mark

Offline BBrakke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
My draw length is 28". I shoot a 70lb compound bow, but I was told that my first trad bow should be around 45lbs so that I could build up my strength and to learn the best shooting technique. I have also been looking at recurves, but I keep falling back into the longbow path.

Any suggestions on a good takedown recurve to try out though?

Ive tried the Hoyt Buffalo, and was wondering if there was a difference between that and the Dorado.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
There's a lot of great bows, but no magic bows (or arrows, or strings, or broadheads, etc.).  The #1 variable is the monkey pulling the string--just something to keep in mind.

Chad

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
If you are in the market for a recurve, I can't say enough about the (Hunter's Niche) Predator bows.  Smoothest I've ever drawn, and one of the fastest out there.  Compared to my Black Widows, my Predator feels as if it draws 10 less pounds at the same weight.  Their base models (Hunter) run around $599.00.  You can get fancier wood, but the performance is the same.  All their limbs are now interchangeable also.  Great bows and great folks.  Do a search on them and you will find a LOT of positive reviews.
Good luck with your search and welcome to this awesome "lifestyle"!
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline LH Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by mcgroundstalker:
Just getting started in traditional archery is an adventure in itself... Finding the "right bow" will come in time, after you learn how to shoot a trad bow the right way... I think before you spend $650 on a bow you should shoot a lot of different stuff... Maybe buy a light-draw starter bow, just to learn the basics... Sell it later on Trad Gang... Then buy that custom jobbie!

Enjoy The Ride! I Did... And am having more fun buyin' used bows, at half price, and still on the learning curve for almost ten years!

... mike ...   :archer2:   ...
Good advice Mike   :)
If this was easy, everyone would be doin' it!

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
My first bow cost me $150 on ***** and I shot 5 deer with that thing.  I don't have one but Martin Savannas are pretty nice and in that price range.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©