3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help replacing the leather on my bow handle please  (Read 300 times)

Offline stickum

• Trad Bowhunter
Help replacing the leather on my bow handle please
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
I have been going through the site trying to find a tutorial on replacing the handle leather.  I want to stitch it on and have only found examples for gluing on.  Does anyone know where to find instructions for this? Thanks.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help replacing the leather on my bow handle please
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
3 Rivers has an instructional video on stitching a leather wrap.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Even stitched ones are glued on.  The stitching is just for looks and I can't imagine trying to stitch one on that wasn't glued.  It would be moving all over the place while stitching.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
The trick to this is getting a supple leather that stretches fairly easy. Cut it out a half inch longer, then wrap the leather around the grip using spring clamps to hold it while you stretch it to fit the grip.

once it's fitting around the grip well mark it top and bottom and cut each side with a straight edge with about 1/4" gap.  then use an awl, or a leather punch to your stitching holes evenly about an 1/8" back from the edge of the leather.

when you've got it all cut out and your holes punched, put a little bit of Barge cement on the belly side of the grip and a bit more on the sides. you want to have everything ready to go before applying the cement. you'll have about 30 minutes of working time before it starts setting up good.

when stitching it, use a sinew or heavy waxed thread and get two needles. start out with about 2 feet of sinew.... you'll figure out a good stitch you like the looks of.  

it takes a little practice, but it's not all that tough to do once you've done a couple. i think i like the deer & elk hide leather the best.

hope this helps. If you don't have the right leather, or it's too thick, you'll pull your hair out trying this. Let me know... i can send you a piece of this deer skin i like so much. kirk

Offline hart2hart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
To add to KirkII's thread,I've found that most leather stretches further one direction than the other.Check your's and stretchy side goes horizontal to bow grip.
Soaking in warm water a short while makes it stretch more.When it dries out,it will shrink and take most wrinkles out.Blot all excess water out with paper towel before applying.WAX your grip very good before applying leather.
Take your time and have fun.
Mike

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
there is one in the build along section by apex predator.
Kevin Day

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
Cut the leather to the width you want, then cut it about 1/2" longer so it overlaps when wrapped.  Submerge the leather in water for 2 hours then dry it on a towel.  Wrap it on the handle, overlaping it on the back of the bow. (side closest to the target when drawn).  Wrap the leather with an ace bandage and let it sit overnight.  Remove the Ace and slice through both layers of the leather on the back from top to bottom in a straight line.  Since it stretches when pulled I trim it closely then use a leather punch for the holes.  2' of artifical sinew with two leather needles and some barge cement will finish the job.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
I do it just like 7Lakes. Absolutely the best way I've found. One thing I'll add: wrap the bow grip in Saran or Handi-Wrap first to protect it from moisture.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
See the  "How-To"  By Our Very Own  Mr. Erik Krewson!!   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :clapper:    :clapper:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
I use very thin, soft leather. I cut it so it won't quite reach all the way around the handle. The idea is to get the seam to stretch together when stitching for a nice tight fit. I cut out the piece after measuring by wrapping the leather around the handle. Then I punch holes with an awl about 1/4" - 1/2" apart on each side. I get a large leather sewing needle threaded on some artificial sinew, apply rubber cement to the leather back, and use a baseball stitch to sew it up.

I stitch it in the center of the handle on the bows back.
Jonathan Mohr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©