3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: whats your average 28 target 3d course score  (Read 661 times)

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
whats your average 28 target 3d course score
« on: July 15, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
when you do a 3d course whats your average score
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: whats your average 28 target 3d course score
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
man you 240+ people are amazing or your shoots are easier then mine lol
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
The only 3D course where I shoot for score is a 40 shot course...

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »
Eric,

This poll is meaningless.  It's rare for any two courses to be scored the same.  I've seen the heart area scored 8, 10, 20 or 30.  I've seen the lung area scored 5, 8, 10, 20 and the bodies from zero to 10.  All depends on the course.  Go to Cloverdale and there is only one score - 5 and everything else is a zero.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
Eric,

This poll is meaningless.  It's rare for any two courses to be scored the same.  I've seen the heart area scored 8, 10, 20 or 30.  I've seen the lung area scored 5, 8, 10, 20 and the bodies from zero to 10.  All depends on the course.  Go to Cloverdale and there is only one score - 5 and everything else is a zero.
I think 5, 8, 10, 12 is pretty standard. I've shot in dozens of 3D shoots all over the south, and I don't think I've shot in one that WASN'T scored this way. Granted, that was compounds, and it's been a few years, but I can't imagine it's changed much. Obviously the level of difficulty can change from one shoot to the next, but he asked for an average.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
3D courses are all different, the only scores that would mean anything are scores shot the same day on the same course.  If you want to compare your ability, shoot an indoor 300 or 600, an outdoor 900, or a field course.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
I only score the number of laughs we have on a 3-D course. It's usually somewhere around 100!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
In 20 years, I have never once kept score.  I always tell myself kill or miss.  Heart/lung area=kill, anything else is a miss.  So I put down a zero.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
I agree with Mike, don't see the point of scoring,  kill or miss.
"They're all trophies"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
I have been doing this a long time......I know a few guys that can shoot 240+ a lot. I think think a few must be counting by some different method to get that many with that high of score.......lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
After this week's 3-d shoot I finally realize that I need to start shooting 3-d targets instead of dots!  We don't score the 12 ring when we shoot, 10,8,5 or 0.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
I keep score. Now, I don't compare one course with another, as there are a few I can shoot each month.

What I do compare is how well do I shoot compared to my two buddies. One is a good shot, the other is a Championship Level shooter and a avid Hunter, all over the world.

I simply keep score to see if I am catching up in my skills or falling behind. I don't ever beat them, but can I close the gap?

Keep in mind, this is all in fun. Not a competition. So, I am light hearted about the whole thing. But, keeping score, with my better archer buddies, gives me a bit of a bell weather on how rusty or clean my shooting is.

Best example of my thinking is: shoot a few rounds with Rod Jenkins or Rick Welch. Not gonna beat them, but can I be in the ball park with them on the first round and then close the distance in future rounds.

Matt
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
Been shooting 3D for over 17 years now.  After each shoot I jot down my score based on the 10-8-5 standard regardless of what the club used.

Then I figure my percentage.  Good way to track progress, or back sliding.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
i have been shooting 3d all my life.  always score myseld as the standard 11-10-8-5 scoring system.  i am very competitive but also like to track my progress or degress.  i am very disappointed if i shoot under an average of 9pts per target but as a whole i average an honest 8.5 per target.  its great practice and with a goal of perfection (unrealistic though!)  most importantly, have fun during this journey.  being competitive doea not mean you don't enjoy yourself even on the bad days.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
The poll results do not match up with what I have seen in the 3-D shoots I have been in. I suppose that could be because the better shooters are more likely to respond to the poll.
Or it may be that the type of shots are different. Either that or you folks are just a bunch better than all of the people I have shot with over the years. I have been to some bigger shoots like the Coon Rapids shoot in Minneapolis and I just have never seen any one shoot those type scores. I am sure that a few can do so but almost 20%? Like I said many reasons the poll could be that way. For those of you who shoot 240+ on a regular basis I would like to know what percentage of the targets you are shooting are further than 35 or 40 yards.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
We have a trad only weekend shoot at the T.H.E. Club that has some novelty targets on the course that don't score the "standard" 12,10,8,5. Makes it more fun and enjoyable for the shooters.
Keeping score just gives you a reason to badger your buddies...  :D

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
I enjoy shooting 3D. I know that everyone is different and shoot for different reasons and expectations.
 I do keep score and turn my card in at every shoot regardless of how poorly I score. I see many fellas that will turn in a good score card but throw a bad one away.
 I don't use binos to check out the target but have no problem with those that do. I shoot for where I think the score is and as we all know that may or may not be the best shot on a real animal but this is not an animal, it's a target. If I can pick a spot and hit it, I'm a happy boy.
 I see 3D as good practice for hunting even though I shoot for score. Like some of the above posters, I use it as a guage to see how I'm doing.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
bohuntr,
 I've only shot 3D in my home state but know that the courses, yardages and scoring vary even in my small area.
 Our max for trad is 30 yards but some clubs will be pushing 40 from time to time. Most of the clubs I shoot at set 30 targets but some shoots are 28.
 I've shot 11,10,8 and 5, 10,8s and 5 and 20 and 10. I've shot any body hit is a 5 and I've shot below the belly line is a 0. I don't think this poll will be that accurate because of these differences.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
with a fast flight recurve and carbon arrows and shooting instinctively I'm averaging 200-225 on a 30 target course locally thats setup by compound shooters so my shots are all at least 20yds to 25yds average which are not my prefered shot distance  sometimes depending on the animal they used but oh well..  when I go to trad only shoots I find them to be easier even at 15yds...

even the harder stakes are easier or average to me and I'm hitting around 230 to 250 (on a good day of course)  trad only shoots I like to use a selfbow because the shots to me are more realistic with my selfbow with the selfbow you can easily take 40points off whatever I would of done with the recurve so 170 to 200 is a good day with the selfbow here locally mostly because I don't shoot them as much as I should.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
I shot alot of 3-D competions all through the '90's up until about 2002. I shot in CT,NY,Mass,Penn and NH. Every one was scored 5,8,10. You can't compre scores unless they are from the same shoot.Never made sense to me when guys said "It's a kill or miss" It's a foam target and a game. You're trying to hit the ten ring.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©