3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: whats your average 28 target 3d course score  (Read 659 times)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: whats your average 28 target 3d course score
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Most folks who are new to shooting 3d want to know where they are shooting compared to the rest of folks.  When I used to care more about such things I took all the shoot scores from TBOF events and came up with mean, median and mode figures for people to look at and gauge their performance.  

What I discovered after three or four years is that there is a bottom 15% that enjoys looking for arrows in the woods.  These people are probably great at easter egg hunts.  There is another 10% above that that show promise of being average.  There is 50% in the middle that is where most recreational shooters fall.  The next 15% of shooters are usually pretty dedicated archers and/or serious hunter.  The top 10% win every time and are the reason why shooting for money payback has gone out of vogue.  

Something that I have never understood is that despite the fact that only the top 10-25% of shooters have any legitimate chance to win, show or place in a given event it is the middle 50% that is generally the most vocal about the shoot format.    :smileystooges:  

The best way to use shoot scores in a practical sense is as a gauge for improvement.  Right about now, a 3D round should be telling you what you need to do to get ready for hunting season.  For me, that means shooting a lot more than I have been from a variety of ranges and angles.

Forgive me as I know I have strayed from the topic...  :D
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Bowhuntr:  My observations jibe with yours.  I think there may be a little  magic penciling, selective memory and or wishful thinking going on. I've been shooting trad shoots for a long time. Usually as many has half the shooters don't turn in a score.  Some because they're just not interested, and others because their scores are very low. Not more than 10% of those who do turn in their cards score much above 220.  There is an occasional score in the 230s-240s, but it's a rarity.  So, to have 40% indicate they shoot 220 or above.    :dunno:

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Interesting takes on different scoring systems.

Texas Longbow Championships and Oklahoma Longbow Championships both use 5-2-0 scoring and you better be able to thread the arrow through some serious trash especially if the target is under 30 yards.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
My traditional scores are about 70% of the available points. I've found that if your a senior shooter, in the 85%+ range, you have a chance to be in the money/awards, etc. My bud,"Ric O'Shay" on TG, will consistently score in the 85%+ range. I usually find myself helping him carry his awards to the truck after a shoot. Can't afford to have him hurt himself before hunting season. I just might need him to help drag out my deer or hog. Have fun and "Keep'Um Sharp".   :thumbsup:

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
With a selfbow and wood arrows, 25 target course; 210 on a really good day, 160 on a really bad day and 185-195 most of the time.

Then there are those days when I got "FOAM PHOBIA", well, don't want to talk about those scores.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
I won't post my scores here but will say this. If I'm competing to win against certain individuals in competition form, I will draw and hold as long as needed to get off the winning shots. I will use my 3D bow (target weight) and often am in top three. Its a whole different beast than shooting for hunting practice, which we also do.
My hunting bows are a lot of fun too, we shoot closer and often move into brush off the stake to mimic a hunting blind. We dont hold over three seconds to mimic a moving animal. So the scores dont count anyway.
For me, sometimes 3D is all about the enjoyment of shooting the bow and hunting with friends. Other times its about a personal rivalry that I sometimes win and sometimes lose.
David M. Conroy

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:

What I discovered after three or four years is that there is a bottom 15% that enjoys looking for arrows in the woods.  These people are probably great at easter egg hunts.    :D  
Gregg, well you may as well called me out by name.....  :goldtooth:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline DuffyRP

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Most of our 3d shoots are 15-25 yard shots.  Some score the 12 most do not. I always believe if you average an 8 per target on a 10/8/5 scoring system you are doing well. So for 28 targets I should at least break a 224. That is how I judge my shooting now.  When I started I just wanted to not loose/break an arrow then I moved on to trying to hit every target. As long as I make the goal I set for my self I am happy with my shooting no matter what the score is.
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Traditional Archery Society
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Goshawkin:
Never made sense to me when guys said "It's a kill or miss" It's a foam target and a game. You're trying to hit the ten ring.
I practice for hunting situations.  Say a quartering away target is in front of you.  You shoot the "10 ring", you are either going to get an arrow bouncing off the front shoulder, or at best a single lung hit.  Slip one more towards the rear angling forward into the boiler room, you have a dead animal.  

You say "game", I say practice for reality.  To each their own.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
I quit shooting 3d a long time ago when people started scoring numbered rings set by manufacturers.
I've never shot anything other than a trad bow in 52 years of shooting. The numbered rings are for target shooters, and compound shooters that think there is nothing more important than hitting that 12 ring. Honestly I couldn't tell you where it is or even care. And on most targets I've seen it isn't even near the area for an ideal shot.

Started shooting 3d again after attending my first TBOF shoot. They have it right, 10 for a kill shot, 5 for a hit, and 0 for a miss. This is at least reflective of real hunting.
I attend the shoots but rarely turn score cards in. I only care to see how I do in the various shots which are laid out. Get much more enjoyment watching my grandsons smile when he just hits the target.
If I was to attend a shoot that scored other than kill, wound, or miss, guess I'd be asking to "Play Through". Have no intentions of waiting for folks to try and decide where the 12 ring is located. It doesn't really matter now does it?

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
I love 3D. I don't shoot them much anymore but I still try to go at least 2-3 times a year. I like to have fun shooting with my kids and/or buds but I still like to have a good score, although it's hard sometimes to do that with as much BS that goes on! Still though, I wouldn't have it any other way!

My goal is to average 8 points per target(scoring 10-8-5 format) which is a "lung" shot. I do okay on the deer size targets but the smaller targets(raccoon, beaver, bobcat, coyote, etc.) are what keep me from obtaining the 8 pt. per target average that I so desire. So, I generally average 7.5 pts. per target at the end of the day on most courses.

To answer your question, I voted my average score of 200-210, when shooting 28 targets.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by bawana bowman:
I quit shooting 3d a long time ago when people started scoring numbered rings set by manufacturers.
I've never shot anything other than a trad bow in 52 years of shooting. The numbered rings are for target shooters, and compound shooters that think there is nothing more important than hitting that 12 ring. Honestly I couldn't tell you where it is or even care. And on most targets I've seen it isn't even near the area for an ideal shot.
 It doesn't really matter now does it?
Just curious as to why you even posted here since you don't really even seem to care about scoring 3D anyway. I thought this thread was about people's average 3D score instead of how little they care about scoring 3D.

And you say, "And on most targets I've seen it isn't even near the area for an ideal shot".

I would have to disagree with you on that. The general 10 ring is usually centered in the center of the lungs, a perfect aiming spot on just about every game animal I've ever seen. You put a sharp broadhead in there and you should have a short blood trail most every time. I know I have.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:

Originally posted by Goshawkin:
Never made sense to me when guys said "It's a kill or miss" It's a foam target and a game. You're trying to hit the ten ring.
I practice for hunting situations.  Say a quartering away target is in front of you.  You shoot the "10 ring", you are either going to get an arrow bouncing off the front shoulder, or at best a single lung hit.  Slip one more towards the rear angling forward into the boiler room, you have a dead animal.  

You say "game", I say practice for reality.  To each their own. [/b]
Hi Mike,My post wasn't a dig at you,hope you didn't take it that way.I agree with practicing that way,I do the same. But to me the day of the shoot is a fun competition,you're shooting for the 10 ring.I'm not trying to angle a quartered shot into the heart,I'm trying to hit that little circle that just happens to be on a foam deer,bear,etc.If I do hit a little off I'm not going to have a wounded animal,just a 5 on my scorecard.Heck a couple of the shoots I was at had dinosaur targets,I won't be hunting them for real.
But like you said "To each their own" No hard feelings here.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
No hard feelings at all.  I just thought this was a trad bowhunting website.  That is why I frequent it.  Since my days in the military, I practice for reality in everything I do.  

As one of my Drill Sergeants once mentioned, "You better love the practice, cause the game is all to short".  That saying has rung in my ears more than I can ever remember, and is so true on many different levels.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Mike, this IS a trad bowhunting website. It also says in the rules here that 3D archery is an acceptable subject for discussion.

I just don't understand why all the negativity concerning 3D archery.    :archer2:
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:
Mike, this IS a trad bowhunting website. It also says in the rules here that 3D archery is an acceptable subject for discussion.

I just don't understand why all the negativity concerning 3D archery.      :scared:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
In 20 years, I have never once kept score.  I always tell myself kill or miss.  Heart/lung area=kill, anything else is a miss.  So I put down a zero.
That's how I keep track also

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
I started shooting 3D last year with my 3 keds after attending on of Rick Welch's classes. We have a great time together, and love the variety of targets and shots.  To my 7 year old boy, it's all about getting his picture taken with every single target. It's also great practice for me to pick a spot.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
I usually only score two things when shooting a 3d course.

1) The number of legitimate "kills" I would have made.

2) The number of arrows I manage to break, lose, damage or curse along the way.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Most of our 3-D shoots are normally 20 target courses with 5, 8, 10 and 12 scoring rings and of course they can vary but typically if you break down the number of targets by your average score you can get a per target average for the course.  Now most of the trad stakes are set with a max distance of 25 yards as well so that can vary with some other course setups too, so there are alot of variables.  But then again typically when I shoot a 3-D course it is for hunting practice and not scoring so I concentrate on making good kills on the targets and not good shots for better scoring.  I usually tend to average around 8 points per target on my better days, sometimes higher, sometimes lower but a good general average.
What really suprises me more at most shoots is the really low scores by many of the shooters, I mean there is generally a huge discrepency between the top few shooters and the next level of scores and this seems to happen at pretty much every shoot I have ever gone to.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©