3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NY Season to open on Oct 1  (Read 908 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
NY Season to open on Oct 1
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
Just curious if anyone else is excited about our bow season starting 2 weeks early? I normally spend the 1st turkey hunting and seeing a ton of deer but cant do nothing about it. Some hunters around here think its going to hurt deer numbers but we got so many I dont see how it could. I for am excited and looking foreword to getting in the woods early. How bout my TG Brothers?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Re: NY Season to open on Oct 1
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
What did they do with the other issues--youth weekend mid-october and crossbow in archery season? Do you know?

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty excited.  I'm a deer hunter first, then everything else second.  NYS DEC doesnt give much, but when they do, guys should be thankfull!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
That's outa this world awesome! Can't wait.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
It looks like no Xbow during the early bow season and bow only areas.  I didnt see anything regarding the special youth firearm season
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up guys, time to make vacation plans !!!!!
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
We start first Sat in September. Our deer numbers are ok. Congrats enjoy the extra time. Did they leave the gun season the same or move it up as well?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
I guess I don't know what all the excitement is about.....it's opened on the 27th of September in the Northern zone in New York since Hector was a pup! And bear opens on the 15th of September. Take a ride and hunt the big woods!!    :saywhat:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
its ok but I neversee deer that early in the season on the land I hunt. with they added 2 weeks on the other end.

youth season isnt going to happen from what I heard. No firearms during archery season.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
The big woods are good for hiking, but I'll stick to the southern zone for my hunting....we like to eat venison    ;)

I'm all for an Oct 1st opener, and I guess it'll be ok to have a youth hunt in early Oct. if it means we get out earlier.

I usually like to have the first two weeks of Oct. to only chase turks, but have always been frustrated when deer walk past my blind and I can't shoot them...like the giant 8pt. that walked past at 12yds last fall!

Cade will be with me hunting this fall for the first time. I think we'll approach it like nothing has changed and still target turks for the first week or so...and if a deer walks by, he'll get a chance to shoot it...how cool!

Anyway....I'm sure looking forward to having Cade out with me in the blind and treestand with a bow of his own!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
If all you have is big woods, then that's where you hunt! I hunt where I have access, and trust me....I like to eat venison as much as anybody!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
I hunt Westchester and would much rather have the first two weeks in Jan.
A little to warm and green early October down this way.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
I'm happy about the Oct 1 opener but I guess everything else(for bowhunters) was shot down.  I'll be planning a trip up to hopefully try and see some bears.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
I like it hunting the early season except the ticks are real bad on long island.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
I was told this was to reduce deer numbers and apparently wouldnt benefit hunters? Could anybody shed some light on this? Couple of my buddies are very upset and are totally against it, like I told them its a great time to take does!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Is that a definite???If so yahoo..........................
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
As far as reducing deer numbers, it's not like we're getting extra tags, just more time to fill those tags.  It would take a lot more than an extra 14 days to hurt the herd.  Not sure why anyone would be upset with extra days unless they are not bow hunters. Years ago when Westchester switched from Nov 1 to coincide with the rest of the state a lot of guys were upset because the deer would become educated before the rut.  Nov 1 openers in Westchester used to be awesome, but unlimited anterless tags put a hurting on that not an earlier date.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
I agree with Sleepy Hollow. I to hunt Westchester and prefer colder temps and maybe even a little snow to lots of leaves still up and ticks! But hey, 3 months of bow only deer hunting, I'll take it with pleasure.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
Wow,,, how anyone could who bow hunts could be against it is beyond my vision. Its like having a wife too pretty, killing a buck too big or what have you.

I live to hunt and more time to hunt is a good thing, especially with longer daylight hours I can get out for longer sits after work.

If your against it, stay home and surf the web, Ill be in the woods with less pressure. To everyone who is appreciative of it , congrats only two and a half months to go.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
Wow,,, how anyone could who bow hunts could be against it is beyond my vision. Its like having a wife too pretty, killing a buck too big or what have you.

I live to hunt and more time to hunt is a good thing, especially with longer daylight hours I can get out for longer sits after work.

If your against it, stay home and surf the web, Ill be in the woods with less pressure. To everyone who is appreciative of it , congrats only two and a half months to go.
My thoughts are the same. Im very excited like I said I see alot of deer while turkey hunting. I eat deer so if I get 2 more weeks to make meat why not? Good luck to you Izzy im sure will be seeing your kill on Oct 1!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©