3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NY Season to open on Oct 1  (Read 907 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NY Season to open on Oct 1
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Did I miss something....who said they were against the Oct. 1 opener ?????   :dunno:    :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
A few of my buddies they said it was something on the DEC site about reducing deer numbers. To sum it up they believe by having these 2 weeks early is going to drop the deer population. I was wondering if anyone had read this? I have dial up so im limited to what I can do.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
It will probably be warm but the morning will be good long as the weather cooperates. Its getting close guys im gonna do some scouting and check some stands and blinds to see if they need tending too. Im ready!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
sounds good to me, I'm in the northern zone so it has always been Oct 1, but I love those first two weeks of the season, y'all will enjoy them a lot as well!

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
I have a large stand of ancient white oaks that rain acorns the first two weeks of October by mid October there isn't a nut left on the ground.   :jumper:  Right now bills A10583 and A/S7705-A are sitting on the the govenor's desk waiting for his signature. If he signs them the xgun stays where it is and no firearm deer hunts will take place in archery season.They got overwelming support in the Senate and Assembly but please contact the govenor's office and support them !
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Take your time and read all of the posts Ron W, you might catch where Nick said that a couple of his friends were upset by it.    :rolleyes:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
I thought he was talking about members posting. I didn't know that there was going to be a test! Seems that my opinion and thoughts are subject to a different standard. Not to worry....it won't happen again!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
No worries Ron  :)
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
My Deer numbers are way down from a few years ago. Not possitive why but With the number of Coyote around the past few years I'd say that would be my first guess. More and more Black Bears and too many Doe permits and it's any wounder there are any Deer at all. Plenty of Deer around towns and cities or were they can't be hunted but some areas of the State that I hunt or have knowledge of are becoming or are scant of woods goats. The Deer numbers are down in these areas but the D.E.C. just keeps pumping out the permits????

I'm all for an extended Bow season but let us remember to be good stewards of the wildlife and let our State and DEC know we want OUR resources managed resposibly          

Not trying to bitch to much, all and all things are managed pretty well but  you can't hunt Deer that aren't there. And remember a dead Doe is a bunch of dead Deer.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
does this apply to 3c/3j? i heard it was only long island
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 06:22:00 AM »
I for one, can't wait. I'll try not to destroy the herd!  :archer2:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Ydanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 06:23:00 AM »
Out of all of this legislation the state has also decided to expand antler restrictions into WMU's 3a,4g,4o,4p,4s and 4w. Bucks will have to have at least 3 points on one side to be legal.

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »
I'm very grateful for a longer season, with no x-bows and no youth gun weekend in the middle. My personal preference would be for a longer late season, because it's just nicer in the woods when it's cold and because there's too much to do in October! Turkeys, pheasants........

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
Knawbone my camp is Bath and I agree our numbers are way down. I limit myself to one a year and don't shoot does.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Thats the way to do it Bob. Sometimes you have to hunt according to what your property can tolerate to have hope for the future.

One property that I hunt had some "if its brown its down" hunters really put a beating on the doe herd. They got the boot and the rest of us left them alone for a couple of seasons and they have rebounded.

Last year I saw groups of 4 to 6 doe which would have  been uncommon there  a few years ago. They came back pretty fast and with killing a lot of coyotes the last few winters Im anticipating some hunting like we had in the early to mid nineties.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Izzy sounds like your on the right track. The bad part is my cousins across the road are brown and downers. For the last few years they are taking right around 20 mostly does per season, last year they only took ten and they STILL don't get it.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I am grateful for more time to chase deer.

Bob, I feel your pain, our farm in WI is in a  deer reduction Zone. You get as many tags as you wish.  Needless to say people came in from miles around to kill deer, and as many as they could.

There was a few years with very few sightings but once the deer disappear, so do the hunters. They usually stay in camp an drink or move on.  then the deer herd will recover.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Eric, Long Island has had an Oct 1 opener for quite a few years now (10?).  You guys are right, WE THE HUNTERS NEED TO BE THE STEWARDS!!!  A few year back I attended a DEC meeting about deer and the guy was straight forward and said, "we screwed up we had no idea the herd was down so bad in certain areas." Another meeting a young fella from DEC tried to tell us that they believed our local herd was at a 2-1 ratio does to bucks    :eek:   probably closer to 6-1. Not bad guys just not getting the right info.  My point is we are on the front lines and in the woods and know our deer herds better than most biologists, so care for it accordingly.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
I agree with you 100% Joe.

I just wish convincing the masses and the indifferent were easier. I get sick of hearing guys shoot deer and not want them.  I understand if a neighbor or someone wanted one, but a lot of guys kill because there are extra tags, not because they or someone they know wants the meat.

OK, Back on topic.

woo hoo Oct 1st, Come On!!!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
I can't wait! I love early season. i killed one of my biggest bucks on Sept 16th in CT. I can't wait to get on them a little earlier in NY

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©