3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NY Season to open on Oct 1  (Read 906 times)

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NY Season to open on Oct 1
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
I've got my eyes on a special buck and an ambush spot ready to rock and roll! Not letting my guard down this October 1st!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
I'm with Ron on this one, up north we will hit the woods on sept 27th if we have a tag left from last year. In my woods we have way more does than bucks. I have a large pasture in front of my house and a neighbor who feeds the deer. If I see 1 buck for every 10 does I'm doing pretty good. Round here the bucks wear themselves out chasing does and don't pull through the winter. We need to pull the population into better balance around here. The other problem with the early season is too many bucks taken before the rut again leading to the problem of the survivors wearing themselves out and not making it through the winters. I like the early hunts and with the numbers and success rates of archers, I don't think we make too big a difference on the herd. its the early gun seasons that really put a bite into the herd numbers.
Glad you southerners have the early season now, though. Like Izzy said, you can get a longer sit after work.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
As Bowhunters, we will ALWAYS be the minority within the hunting brethren.  The October 1st opener is final.  The Columbus Day Weekend Youth Firearms Hunt and keeping the crossbow in the Regular (Firearms) Season are still up in the air.  They are dependant upon the Governor signing the Bills into Law.  Once they are signed, the crossbow will remain in the Regular (Firearms) Season and there will be no special hunt within the Archery Season, unless it is an archery hunt.  Keeping the archery season for hand held, hand drawn bows.  No superior implements.  NYB has taken a lot of flack over these issues and for being instrumental in this legislation.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
I have to ask will the season continue to open on the 1st from now on or is it just experimental for a few years?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline LIBowhunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
From NYS Bowhunters Org.

The DEC has published that the following are done deals and will be implemented this year:

1. Open the south zone bow season on October 1st.
2. Open the north zone regular season on the 2nd Saturday after Columbus Day, which will expand the early bow season by one week only 30% of the time and remaining the same 7 out of 10 years.
3.  Bow hunters can hunt during the late north zone muzzleloading season.
4.  Bow and muzzleloader hunters can now use DMP's in the north zone.
5.  Antler restrictions will be expanded in regions 3 & 4.
6.  DEC will initiate their Deer Mgt. Focus program in the Ithaca area where hunters, using any legal implement (including crossbows), can take 2 antlerless deer per day from the 2nd Saturday in January through January 31st.  If successful they will expand this program to other areas of the state.  

*** The Columbus Day weekend youth firearms hunt is in the hands of the Governor.  If he signs the bill it is dead, if he does not the DEC may very well implement this hunt this season.  So get on the stick and let the Governor know that you support bill # A10583-A/S7705-A!!!!

More updates from NYSBowhunter Org.

Senate bill #S7705-A, introduced by Carl Marcellino and Assembly bill #A10583-A, introduced by Robert Sweeney, were passed by both houses and will be sent to Governor Cuomo for his signature in the very near future.    Once signed by the Governor this legislation will do the following;
1. “the only junior hunter days for big game hunting that the DEC may authorize during archery seasons are junior archery days”, thus no firearms, bows only,
2. continues to allow for the use of crossbows only during the regular firearms seasons and during the late muzzleloader season in the southern zone,
3. continues to allow the physically challenged bow hunter to use adaptive equipment without the need to apply for a cumbersome permit,
4. under current law, crossbow hunters are exempt from prosecution for illegal activities and this bill rectifies this situation with language that places crossbow hunters on the same playing field as other hunters, thus crossbow hunters are now subject to prosecution for their illegal activities.

Please voice your support for bill #S7705-A and #A10583-A by contacting Governor Cuomo at the following;
1.    e-mail:   [email protected] or thru web site at   www.governor.ny.us        

2.    phone:    (518) 474-8390    
3.    write:       The Honorable Governor Cuomo
                     Governor of New York State    
                     NYS State Capitol Building                        
                     Albany, NY 12224    

The DEC has just announced today (July 11th) plans to implement the following big game regulation changes for the 2012 hunting season;
1.  The southern zone archery season will open annually on  October 1st, which on average will add 13 days and one weekend of hunting opportunity,  

2.  The northern zone regular season will open on the 2nd Saturday after Columbus Day, which will expand the early archery season by one week in only 3 out of 10 years, while remaining the same 70% of the time,

3.  Bowhunters and muzzleloaders can now use their antlerless deer management permits in the northern zone within wildlife management units (WMUs) designated by the DEC,

4.  Bowhunters can now hunt during the late northern zone muzzleloading season,

5.  The mandatory antler restriction program has been expanded in regions 3 and 4 to now include WMUs 3A,3C,3H, 3J,3K, 4G,4O,4P,4R, 4S and 4W.  Hunters less than 17 years of age are exempt and bucks must have at least 3 points on at least one antler.

6.  Begin a Deer Management Focus Area program.
     This program is designed to allow for intensive management of over abundant deer populations in defined areas of the state.  The DEC will initiate this program in a defined area in the Ithaca area of Tompkins County. This area will be open for the taking of antlerless deer only from the 2nd Saturday in January through January 31st by any legal implement, including archery gear.  Since many bucks have dropped their antlers by January, hunters will inevitably harvest both female and male deer.   A hunter can obtain two free deer management focus permits as well as the use of any tag not filled during the previous hunting seasons, including regular season, archery and muzzleloading tags, deer management permits and deer management assistance tags.

7.  Conduct a youth big game firearms hunt over the 3 day Columbus Day weekend in the middle of the archery seasons.    This is all the more reason to contact Governor Cuomo and ask him to sign

bill # A10583-A and #S7705-A, which will stop the DEC from placing a firearms hunt in the middle of the archery seasons!  The DEC has received a substantial number of comments in opposition to this youth hunt for the following reasons:
(1) a youth hunt is unnecessary,
2) young hunters with firearms present an increased safety risk for bow hunters or small game hunters        afield in camouflage,
(3) the youth hunt will affect bow hunting by altering deer behavior patterns,
(4) unscrupulous adults will illegally take deer during the youth season.  

Let the Governor know that if the DEC wants to pursue a youth firearms hunt, it should be placed within the Regular firearms seasons, where it belongs, and not in the archery seasons.
--------------------------------
LIFE IS GOOD!
--------------------------------
NY Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
LIBowhunter;
Thanks for the great information. Will be sending the gov a message of support for that bill.
veryone, shoot straight and stay safe.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Besides the Oct. 1st opener,we also got AR's in 7 WMU's.Anyone here live in those areas?

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
took on a walk on the mountain in the Noethern zone and it looks very bad for mast crops this year, i will be out Sept 27 for early season then much to my dismay i believe to have any shot at all i will take advatage of the early southern zone and hunt there.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
well i sure cant wait to get out with the bow  its hard to not just lose sleep over it already
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Jeff, My parents live in Andes in Delaware Co.  Been bowhunting there for over 30 years.  The AR's should really work well.  I've seen the bucks really starting to come back over the last 10 or 15 yrs.  The AR's should really magnify it.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
WE really need to show support for these Bills to be signed by the Governor.  Let his office know, and also Assemblyman Sweeney and Senator Marcellino as well.  They're taking a lot of heat over this.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Sean,it might take a couple years but you WILL see a difference.It's made a difference here in the AR pilot area...butchers and taxidermists agree.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Im in the Ithaca Area I wonder if the 2 does a day applies just for city limits? I cant wait im goin nuts!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Mike Brockner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
Jeff,
I have a camp in Delaware County which is now in the AR area.  Last year I saw 7 different buck, all spikes or fork-horns.  Should be interesting to say the least…
Mike

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Mike,it will get better.Just have to give it some time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©