3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recommendation needed on hand held GPS  (Read 701 times)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recommendation needed on hand held GPS
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward a Garmin. Something simple like the eTrex but the Oregon 450 has some appeal as well. How important is the map function and how easy is it to use? I understand some have free downloads of particular areas. I'm hunting Public land in Oklahoma? Thanks again for your help.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
Cabelas has the 450s (as well as virtually all Gramins) on a great sale right now
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
How about a Map and a Compass..... Or is that a lost art.

We use the Delorme system for my job. I am a Firefighter /   Search Team Manager for TXTF2 USAR.  We use their InReach Device with PN 60 GPS or Smart Phones. The InReach connects by Bluetooth to your Smsrt Phone and basically with the Delorme App, you can have a GPS. It also is a SPOT Emergency Beacon and will allow you to send texts home or to whom ever ( additional cost for texts) . Even with all this I still Preach Map and Compass to my guys.
                         Tu Compadres, Sutty
Dryad Orion ACS Recurve 53#

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.  I've had it for a few years so I don't know if anything better has come along but it does everything I need.

Whatever you get make sure it has an electronic compass.  It's no fun in the dark to have to be moving for the compass to work.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by NoCams:
...using Cabelas Recon app on my Droid X2 phone and now I have everything I need in my phone. No need to carry both. I would think in a few more years that handheld GPS units may be a thing of the past.... ? JMHO
IMO I would be cautious about that.

I am a huge fan of GPS's and smart phones and would offer that the current state of the art requires both.  I would never trust the GPS on a smartphone in the mountains unless that is the last thing I had available.  I also don't think the battery time on a smart phone would last very long using the GPS feature as most phones will search for (non-existent?) cell service using more battery.   Now if I was just poking around the family farm, that is likely a different story, yet I don't use GPSs in those environments.

Garmin 450 - it is the same as the 450T without the maps preloaded.  Save yourself some money and download the maps from  http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php

Its easy and amazing quality.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Suty:
How about a Map and a Compass..... Or is that a lost art.

You're right about that. I see my gps as a supplement to my map and compass, but not a substitute.

One thing I like about the Rino 655T is that it's a good gps, a great radio, and a decent camera. The radio feature has come in handy when hunting with other guys, especially in thick swamps. We can keep tabs on each other very easily, and make sure to stay out of each other's way. We hunt a lot in areas with no cell reception, and we're all the age where it's wise to be able to keep in communication.

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
How about a Map and a Compass..... Or is that a lost art
True sir!
I Don't own a GPS, good Compass & good map is cheaper...
Getting "a bit" lost is all part of the game?
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Online bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
I have a Garmin Colorado and it works great even in heavy cover.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Fully agree about map/compass but something new every now and then ain't all bad. The Garmin 60 csx and the Garmin Oregon 450 or 450T are interesting, as is the simple Garmin eTrax. Will always have my compass with me neverless. Just thought I'd take a look to what others on TG find helpful.Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and comments.

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
I have a 530, it may be over kill. I pack maps and compass also. The thing I like best with the gps is going in and out to a stand in the dark. Set up right you can follow your track right to your stand with your eyes closed lol.

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
The 60csx is the best do it all model I've found. They can be had cheaper now that the 62csx has replaced it. I've been through everything with mine and its never missed a beat.    :thumbsup:  And you can put their City Navigator software on it and it will do turn by turn directions for usin it in the car.
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
I just returned from an eight day float in Alaska and, because my parents are having severe health problems, I left my trusty 60csx at home and bought a Delorme with InReach so I could get word if things went south in a hurry.  I think highly of Garmin gear and personnel, but this Delorme was so fast at getting a fix and the InReach so easy I'm selling my SPOT and Garmin.

Fact is, they all are pretty exceptional tools, and, as mentioned, they all need to be backed up with paper map, compass, and skills.  I'm ambivalent about losing my self-reliance with these gizmos anyway, and all you need is one gear failure or dead power to be forced back into the classics...

Incidentally, if my bud had one of these sets instead of his Garmin, the two rafts wouldn't have lost each other for four days...though that was more about miscommunication than anything.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
For hunting: Garmin Oregon.  I would never give it up unless it was an improved model. It's unbelievably easy to learn, use, and batteries last. It's like an iPhone GPS.

Mine has elevation and the maps, and you just use your thumbnail or fingernail to move around the screen.

I have used it extensively in the CO mountains.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
Thanks for everyone help. After considering my options I decided to buy a Garmin Oregon 450T. Had everything I wanted and then some. Should have it by the end of this week. Now if I can just figure out how to use the thing.  :thumbsup:

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkbreath:
I've used several brands and recommend Garmin above them all.  

Though I now use my iphone 4s... its unreal.
Have you tried asking Siri where the elk are hiding at?    :)

Offline Papa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Tracks  What app are you using on your iphone?

Mike

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by lt-m-grow:

Originally posted by NoCams:
...using Cabelas Recon app on my Droid X2 phone and now I have everything I need in my phone. No need to carry both. I would think in a few more years that handheld GPS units may be a thing of the past.... ? JMHO
IMO I would be cautious about that.

I am a huge fan of GPS's and smart phones and would offer that the current state of the art requires both.  I would never trust the GPS on a smartphone in the mountains unless that is the last thing I had available.  I also don't think the battery time on a smart phone would last very long using the GPS feature as most phones will search for (non-existent?) cell service using more battery.   Now if I was just poking around the family farm, that is likely a different story, yet I don't use GPSs in those environments.

Garmin 450 - it is the same as the 450T without the maps preloaded.  Save yourself some money and download the maps from   http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php  

Its easy and amazing quality. [/b]
Roger all that, but I think Jimmy is right.  It will ALL be on your phone within 10 years.  And it will be better than what we have now in two seperate units.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I have an etrex Summit HC for sale on the classifieds right now. I moved up to an Oregon 450t. You can't go wrong with Garmin.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
As a former military como officer 23 years with real world experience garmin 60CSx I've had mine side by side with the real deal just as accurate easier to use and has a sirf chip.
I wouldn't get one with the newer chip set to find out You can get this info from your 60CSX by entering MENU>MENU>SETUP>SYSTEM>MENU. Choose "Software Version". After doing some research on the internet I discovered that the new unit with the "m" in the GPS SW ver. utilizes a MediaTek chip while the old unit has a SiRF III chipset designated by the "s". The SiRF III has an excellent reputation for sensitivity, fast satellite acquisition and ability to stay locked on even in heavy over growth.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
Adam and I use the Garmin 60CSX. They have worked well including returning to the Elk kill way after dark!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©